PDA

View Full Version : Jerky video getting worse

mark_keane
28-08-2006, 12:19 PM
Hi,

My Tivo has started getting sick. Intially the symptoms were stuttering of the video and audio on playback of some recorded shows but has now worsened to all shows including live tv. The playback is very jerky, some long pauses, some pixellation but all occuring randomly (but very frequently), ie sometimes a small portion will be jerky but other times not.
I have tried reconnecting all the inputs/outputs to no avail. Is the hard drive dying? How do I test for this?

Many thanx,
Worried Tivo parent

Darren King
28-08-2006, 12:35 PM
Hi Mark

Yes. Those are the classic symptoms of a failing hard disk. I suggest you either get the utilities available from your hard disk manufacturer's website or a good 3rd party diagnostic software utility that can do a complete surface scan. The one in Windoze is no good for testing TiVo hard disks properly.

Alternatively simply image and set up a test hard disk. Anything from 4GB and up will do. If this works with no jerky issues then your problems are your hard disk.

mark_keane
28-08-2006, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the quick reply Darren

I thought so, I'm glad the drive is still under warranty :)

Unfortunately I don't have a desktop box, only laptops, so testing is a bit tricky until I get access to one.

Thanks again for your help.

edit - BTW what is the chance of successfully backing up the saved programs at this point?