PDA

View Full Version : Tivo Startup Problem(Is it my Hard Drive?)

aekara_omadara
09-08-2006, 08:30 PM
hi all,

I am having a problem with my tivo...

I set the tivo up in the spare room, so i wouldn't bother the missus too much during the world cup... and since the WC has finished.. i really have been slack moving it into the main living room...

well, i decided to do it yesterday, and found that the poor little bugger isn't working anymore..

i have only had the tivo for a few short months, bought it refurbished from tivodownunder... surely the HD could not have gone already....?

I see the initial tivo image, then it tells me that it is starting... The green light flickers from green to orange, as some of the other posts say it should, then it waits for a while... then tells me to either press the Tivo or Live TV button to start it up.. it stays on this screen for approximately 2 seconds and then fails... Basically, picture stops, and green light goes out... much the same as it does when the unit goes to standby..

I did have the unit on standby for a few weeks, but it was recording in the background.

From the mailing list posts i have read, it shouldn't get that far if the HDD had failed..(although the buzzing noise it is making makes me think otherwise.)

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

Darren King
10-08-2006, 08:18 AM
Sounds like a software problem to me. To confirm, image up another hard disk (anything from 4GB upwards will work) and see if that performs as normal. If it does then it is not hardware related.

petestrash
11-08-2006, 12:22 AM
Should still be covered by TiVoDownunder's wty.

Check with them before removing the cover, as this may void any wty.

Peter.