PDA

View Full Version : PAL Conversion and IceTV question

robbob90210
21-07-2006, 01:09 AM
Hi All.
My first post on the forums. Im sure there will be plenty more to come... :)

Question 1) Is the PAL conversion compatible with a series2 Tivo? (from what i've seen, the answer doesnt look good)

Question 2) Im sure this has been talked about before, but has the introduction of IceTV into Oz created any opportunity with the OzTivo community??

I am an Aussie living in the US with a nice Series2 Tivo sitting in the lounge room. In Sept, we're returning to the mother country with Tivo in my bag.

It looks like its going to be a bit of a process to get this all up and running in Oz, so please be patient with me..... You never know, I might have a series2 Tivo for sale in Oct..... Will wait an see.... :eek:

Rob

Darren King
21-07-2006, 08:15 AM
Hi All.
My first post on the forums. Im sure there will be plenty more to come... :)

Welcome!

Question 1) Is the PAL conversion compatible with a series2 Tivo? (from what i've seen, the answer doesnt look good)
No.

Question 2) Im sure this has been talked about before, but has the introduction of IceTV into Oz created any opportunity with the OzTivo community??
This question was put to the oztivo community a couple of months ago by Peter Vogel from ICE, and the majority of the community does not want it because of the legal implications both with ICE being taken to court by one media organisation at present, and that making the TiVo work with a commercial paid for guide data supplier will infringe us as a non-profit hobby group community that could force TiVo to end their relationship with us. That relationship being while TiVo in Australia as no commercial linking they have no problems with us using their proprietary hardware and software.

I am an Aussie living in the US with a nice Series2 Tivo sitting in the lounge room. In Sept, we're returning to the mother country with Tivo in my bag.
You can bring it with you and use it on a limited basis as there are others out there in Australia using a Series 2 with some tricks, but if you are expecting a smooth setup then forget it. Also locate and bring back a Series 1 with you.

It looks like its going to be a bit of a process to get this all up and running in Oz, so please be patient with me....
TiVo in Australia is definitely an experimental device that assumes you know a bit about computers and networking. Having said that for setting up a Series 1 it is not overly difficult and there are plenty of guides on the official oztivo website at www.oztivo.com

Cheers