PDA

View Full Version : Tivo Recording 2 Shows Through Foxtel

normal_kinda_guy
05-07-2006, 09:56 PM
hey everyone!

okay so i know that the tivo series one cant record 2 shows at once...lol and i wouldnt try to make it =P

but just out of curiousity...what would have to be changed to make it record 2 shows at once...like foxtel iQ does?

also if we got the series 2 out here eventually...ive read they can record 2 shows at once over in america...would that be achievable here? just using one foxtel digital box to record 2 shows at once? or would u need 2 fox boxes?

just trying to expand my knowlodge of the universe =P

cyaz!
Peter

Darren King
05-07-2006, 10:18 PM
but just out of curiousity...what would have to be changed to make it record 2 shows at once...like foxtel iQ does?

One word: everything.

Not one piece of the TiVo Series 1 hardware can support two streams at once. The MPEG encoder cannot, the MPEG decoder cannot, nor can the Media Switch custom ASIC. And neither can the software, which for the most part is proprietary and cannot be altered.

also if we got the series 2 out here eventually...ive read they can record 2 shows at once over in america...would that be achievable here?

Again, no.

Series 2 Stand Alone units which we are hoping to get going are just like their Series 1 Stand Alone counterparts: 1 record, 1 playback.

petestrash
06-07-2006, 11:24 PM
Again, no.

Series 2 Stand Alone units which we are hoping to get going are just like their Series 1 Stand Alone counterparts: 1 record, 1 playback.

He may be talking about the latest dual tuner units (box=series280hrDTDVR) (http://www.tivo.com/2.0.boxdetails.asp?box=series280hrDTDVR).

But as far as I know, no one has got a series 2.5 working here without still using a valid US subscription.

Peter.

Darren King
07-07-2006, 07:45 AM
He may be talking about the latest dual tuner units (box=series280hrDTDVR) (http://www.tivo.com/2.0.boxdetails.asp?box=series280hrDTDVR).

Yep. Only stumbling block there is it would be unlikely any of these newer units would use the same MPEG chips that the S2 we are attempting to get going.

Therefore the "chase" is never ending: We eventually get the original S2 operational and then everyone will want the latest and greatest S2 variant (or even now a S3) so the "when will we get.....?" question just shifts from one device to another.