PDA

View Full Version : using tivo to control a mysky decoder?

kfm
15-06-2006, 07:26 PM
I've had a mysky box installed, which is nice in some ways. You gte two tuners, plus a hard drive.

But the usability of the tivo is much better, and I'm interested in using the tivo to drive the mysky box. (normally treating the mysky box as a standard sky decoder)

that way I get the nice ui and season pass features of the tivo, plus I can use the mysky box directly if I need to record a second programme at the same time.

I see from the list of supported decoders http://www.garysargent.co.uk/tivo/stb.htm

that there is a sky+ pace decoder. The front panel looks a little different, but the remote is the same. It's number 20017.

Has anyone else sucessfully done this? Is 20017 in the local tivo db (or the emulator)?

DJC
17-06-2006, 08:21 PM
If you don't have any sucess, capture the codes using the procedure on the oztivo wiki, then upload the codes into the oztivo IR codes database. The NZ system follows the oz IR slices.

jaidev
19-06-2006, 10:18 AM
that way I get the nice ui and season pass features of the tivo, plus I can use the mysky box directly if I need to record a second programme at the same time.

Unfortunately that's not the way it will work, the Sky+ box does have dual tuners however only one output, recording on the second tuner will kill the tivo recording.
You also cannot watch another Sky+ recording or LiveTV on the Sky+ while TiVo is recording. Any guide views etc will also be recorded by TiVo as the Sky+ guide controls is Tuner dependant.

Search on Tivo community forums, there are a few posts about Sky+ with Tivo.. i.e. not very useful unless you control how you watch the Sky+ box with Tivo recordings scheduled..

kfm
20-06-2006, 05:34 PM
I didn't explain my intentions very well.

I've got a tivo set up and going, and have had for some time. For complicated reasons I find myself with a MySky box instead of a standard Pace decoder.

What I want to do is have the tivo between the mysky box and the TV set. What I would normally do is set up recordings on the tivo, as it has better guide data, and a better UI than the mysky box, and it gets me down to single remote control. I want to use the tivo to control the mysky box as if was a standard decoder.

In addition to that, I thought that there would be the occasional time when I would also set up a recording directly on the mysky box using it's guide data and storage. This would usually be when I wanted to record two shows on at the same time. (or maybe when I ran out of space on the tivo).

If I set up this 2nd recording in real-time, then I accept that I would be recording all the screen flows of the mysky box onto the tivo. But I would plan to set up both recordings in advance. The mysky box would record one channel onto it's hard drive, while it would think that I was changing the channel to watch something else on the other tuner (but this would actually be the tivo recording it).

As far as I can tell, this should work.But maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, I'm using the irslicecreator tools to try and capture the mysky IR codes. I can capture, but as yet I've not been able to find a frequency that works. The tools are a bit shonky, so I have to restart the tivo fairly regularly. I'm definetly outputting something from the tivo, as I can see the IR LEDS flash through my digital camera - but the mysky box is not recognising it yet.

I will persevere.

petestrash
21-06-2006, 03:56 AM
I see from the list of supported decoders http://www.garysargent.co.uk/tivo/stb.htm

that there is a sky+ pace decoder. The front panel looks a little different, but the remote is the same. It's number 20017.

Has anyone else sucessfully done this? Is 20017 in the local tivo db (or the emulator)?

FWIW,

20017 is not in the local IR Slice and as DJC suggested, you will need to capture the codes or download them from somewhere on the web.

Peter.

BruceC
21-06-2006, 06:53 AM
Hi,

I also have a MySky now after many happy years TiVo-ing. But the lure of the 2 channel recording was too great !

I kept my old Pace decoder and have my TiVo and that setup in Family Room while I have just MySky in main Lounge.

My first comment was to be that (different to you pointed out) you would not need to setup your first recording on MySky as the MySky's first recording (which would be your second) is done in the background anyway.

My main HELPFUL point is with regard to Remote Control's. After getting my MySky I was annoyed that I could no longer control TV Power and Volume from the single remote. That's before I was introduced to the Logitech Harmony range of Universal Remote's (I got the 520 model) - they are outstanding...I recommend them to anyone....Reasonably priced and they are fully configured over the Web. Logitech have IR codes for everything...All you do during setup is put in model numbers of all your devices, MySky, TV, Stereo, DVD Player etc... and set up Activities like "Watch MySky" and it changes all your device settings....It fully controls MySky (all functions) - you just have to map some MySky keys to buttons that make sense to you...eg: I have to press an "Exit" button to return MySky to live TV.

Anyway - sorry to talk about the "dark side" (MySky) on the TiVo forums...I still love my TiVo which is why I pay Sky (through the nose) to keep the old decoder to run TiVo. I still use TiVo for all my smart season passes based on Title etc...

That's my two cents for what it's worth.

BenMorgan
12-12-2006, 12:33 PM
Hey guys, I wanna try controlling MySky through my Tivo, probably not going to happen til January now but I was wondering did anyone out there ever generate the MySky IR codes or would I need to try and get em done myself?

Like the originator of this thread I'm planning on primarily recording on Tivo but I'll set up MySky to record the off thing I care less about or something that conflicts on the MySky box via it's second (background if you will) tuner. Generally one off, pre booked recordings, you know...

Is there anyone out there with this setup already running?