PDA

View Full Version : Tivo Pausing constantly

DavidH
31-05-2006, 02:11 AM
Hi everyone,

My primary Tivo has developed a strange habit. It goes into "pause" at random intervals. Doesn't seem to matter whether live TV is being watched or a show that has been recorded. It doesn't impact scheduled recording or anything.

Would rebuilding the HD fix this problem?

petestrash
31-05-2006, 01:34 PM
Just to clarify, does it actually pause for a long time and pressing play resumes the playback. Or do you mean the picture is freezing for a second or two.

Peter.

DavidH
31-05-2006, 02:42 PM
Hi Pete,

it freezes for a long period until either the play or pause button is pressed again.

Have you encountered this before?

petestrash
31-05-2006, 03:17 PM
I have never seen it before, and it doesn't sound like a typical HD problem.

How often is it happening?

Have you ever seen it freeze ? if so, does the bar come up showing how far you are though the show with the pause symbol.

Is it possible that some remote or other IR interference in the house is causing a pause signal to be sent?

Peter.

thomson
31-05-2006, 04:59 PM
My primary Tivo has developed a strange habit. It goes into "pause" at random intervals.

I have seen/heard of this happening when using TivoWeb (v1.9.4). It would not happen that often, but using the Web interface is a possible cause. In this situation the timeframe bar does pop up (exactly like it would if you pressed pause on the remote). The cause could be something hitting the MFS system hard?

Darren King
31-05-2006, 05:33 PM
Like Thompson has mentioned I have also seen this first hand.

I used to be plauged with this right from day one of using a TiVo (a few years ago now) up until recently when using TiVoWEB with all my three TiVo's (and as it turns out one of each Turbonet, Cachecard and Airnet) until I set the ethernet card timing to "failsafe" for a similar (but unrelated) pausing problem.

Go into nic_config_tivo and set the timing to "failsafe" and see if this helps. If you do not have this setting option then upgrade to the latest ssilicondust drivers.

DavidH
31-05-2006, 06:43 PM
Darren, thanks for your help.

The only options that I see there are:

Current/New Configuration:
mac address = 00:0B:AD:A0:0A:1D
ip address = 192.168.0.5
ip subnet mask = 255.255.255.0
ip gateway = 192.168.0.1
debug level = off
cache statistics = 0 seconds

Ethernet Options
1: Change MAC address
2: Change IP address/gateway
3: Change debug logging option

Cache Options
5: Change statistics reporting

General
9: View/extract log file
0: Apply and exit
!: Exit without saving

Can you give me some pointers where to look from here?

Darren King
31-05-2006, 07:59 PM
My option #1 is "Change Timing Setting"

What version of the Silicondust drivers are you using, or alternatively what release oztivo image are you using (ie R1.?)

DavidH
31-05-2006, 09:34 PM
Darren, the drivers would be whatever came standard with the Oztivo 3.0 image current as at 1/4/2005.

Looks like I will have to update the Drivers

petestrash
31-05-2006, 10:33 PM
Darren do you know if using the latest turbonet installer from SD will corrupt the OzTiVo image?

I know that running the Cachecard installer Causes all sorts of headaches, and results in a TiVo that won't boot.

Just thought I'd clarify, before David tries your suggestion.

Peter.

DavidH
31-05-2006, 10:36 PM
Pete, you read my mind. I was just reading the article on Oztivo re that exact subject.

DavidH
31-05-2006, 10:41 PM
PS I'm running a cachecard

petestrash
01-06-2006, 12:24 AM
The timing option is not available for cachecards.

None of the networking drivers have been updated by SiliconDust since Feb 2005, so you are most likely running the most recent driver.

Peter

DavidH
01-06-2006, 06:48 AM
Thanks Pete. Looks like I'll have to live with this:(

Darren King
01-06-2006, 07:33 AM
Peter,

Is there not a "timing" mention in the network setting file, even for a cachecard? It may be able to be manually added, or edited, this way. I forget what the file is called or where it is :(

Oh, and David: There is no such thing as a version 3.0 release of the oztivo software. They are ALL based on the USA TiVo version 3.0 software but we determine the release by R1.x number. Unfortunately your system stats screens you can view from a running TiVo does not display this.

DavidH
01-06-2006, 12:03 PM
Hi Darren,

thanks for that. With the version, it was whatever version you installed for me last year when you set it up. I think is R4?

Darren King
01-06-2006, 12:32 PM
Hi David. As said previously the number notation is R1.x so R4 is not a valid number. Looking back through my email history I cannot determine exactly who you are as I have had three David's with a surname starting with a "H" use my services last year.

At any rate none of the above matters as Peter points out cachecards do not have a timing option. What I do say still stands in that the configuration file MAY be able to be edited. As I also said I can't remember what it is (or where) as I am not a software person, but Peter would and may be able to assist whenever he is next online.

petestrash
01-06-2006, 01:35 PM
Darren's right, there are config files for both types of cards. /etc/rc.d/rc.net.turbonet for the turbonets and /etc/rc.d/rc.net.cachecard for the cachecards.

[TiVo [p0] /etc/rc.d]# cat rc.net.turbonet
#
#!/bin/sh
#

if /sbin/insmod -f /lib/modules/turbonet.o macaddr=00:0B:AD:21:2A:1B timing=3 ; then
export DYNAMIC_NET_DEV=eth0
mkdir -p /var/state/dhcp
/sbin/dhclient -q eth0 2>/dev/null &
fi
[TiVo [p0] /etc/rc.d]#
[TiVo [p0] /etc/rc.d]# cat rc.net.cachecard
#
#!/bin/sh
#

if /sbin/insmod -f /lib/modules/turbonet2.o macaddr=00:0B:AD:AD:77:8B ; then
export DYNAMIC_NET_DEV=eth0
mkdir -p /var/state/dhcp
/sbin/dhclient -q eth0 2>/dev/null &
fi
[TiVo [p0] /etc/rc.d]#

I have not tried (and not keen to try) adding the timing variable to the cachecard config file.

Also if you upgrade from tivoweb to Thomsons version of tivowebplus, the info module now includes the OzTiVo revision numbers for troubleshooting.

This info is stored in etc/oztivo_version on the last 2 images.

Peter

thomson
01-06-2006, 02:16 PM
Looks like I'll have to live with this:(
If you are noticing the problem when using TivoWeb then you may wish to try out TivoWebPlus (http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Software/UpgradeToTiVoWebPlus) which has been shown to reduce the issue.

petestrash
01-06-2006, 02:41 PM
Also if it's happening more then once a week, you can rule out the cachecard by removing it for a week and see if it still occurs.

If you do a daily call on Saturday night, you should have data through to the following Saturday. Then you can remove the card for a week and see if it still plays up for you.

Peter.

Darren King
01-06-2006, 03:01 PM
Thanks Peter. That's what I was floundering around looking for last night.... :)

DavidH
02-06-2006, 12:47 AM
Thanks Darren and Peter. I'll try what you've suggested re removing the cachecard.

Cheers and thanks for your help

DavidH
06-06-2006, 06:50 PM
Everyone, thought you might be interested in the outcome. My Tivo is back to normal. Before going through the process of uninstalling the cachecard etc, I reviewed my logs of software I had installed on my PC. Around the time the problem first appeared, I had installed a commercial program called "Network Magic" to assist in managing my wireless network. This program apparantly continually "probed" the network looking for security breaches etc. I've never had the TivoWeb problem mentioned in an earlier post but this seemed similar (that's what gave me the clue). I uninstalled the program concerned and lo and behold the problem vanished.

Just a tip - check your PC that your Tivo connects to.

Darren and Peter - thanks for all your help

petestrash
06-06-2006, 09:27 PM
Good to hear you have it resolved.

Peter.