PDA

View Full Version : Considering a TiVo

jayzz19
22-05-2006, 08:43 PM
Hey guys,

Im thinking of getting myself a TiVo for the world cup which starts 9th June. My current setup has a Foxtel Digital with the PACE STB running SCART to my TV. That means that I can only use PAL.

I'd like to find out what I need to do to get a TiVo and run Foxtel Digital thru it so that I can record from it and its EPG (I never record or watch channel 7 & 10), and then output to the TV. Also I'd like to be able to change the channel on my Foxtel Digital STB using TV and IR Blaster.

Cheers!

Darren King
22-05-2006, 09:10 PM
Hi and welcome.

If you want one by the 9th of June then your options are very limited indeed. There are only two people in AUstralia selling USA TiVo's ready to go (excluding anyone else selling the odd unit on ebay) are: www.hobotech.com and www.tivodownunder.com

However if you wanted SCART to retain RGB functionality then you are going to have to get a UK Thompson TiVo as the Philips and Sony USA TiVo's do not have this and your chances of getting one of these by the 9th of June is about zero. USA TiVo's work in PAL but do not offer SCART input/output.

Yes. You will be able to change the channels on your Foxtel box with the TiVo via the IR Blaster.

jayzz19
22-05-2006, 09:55 PM
Then the only question is how painful is it getting one of these fellas to record foxtel and use a foxtel EPG?

1downunder
22-05-2006, 10:25 PM
Its quite simple actually. Get a scart to 3rca adapter (yellow and red/white) to go from the pace box to the tivo. This way you can still output the foxtel through rgb to your tv and record at a slightly less quality composite source with the tivo.

Then switch to your tivo av channel to watch recorded programs..

RGB is a nice and smooth picture but the picture quality isn't too much different recording via composite outputs :)

By the way: You can use the foxtel epg when browsing through channels, but the tivo offers a program guide search feature so you can plan your recordings.

petestrash
22-05-2006, 10:43 PM
Then the only question is how painful is it getting one of these fellas to record foxtel and use a foxtel EPG?

Getting it to record foxtel is easy and is part of the standard install. if you haven't already, visit the oztivo (http://www.oztivo.net) website for install instructions.

As for EPG, this is provided by volunteers @ tvguide (http://www.tvguide.org). No promises, but I think it would be fairly safe to assume the guide will be good as the world cup is popular.

Peter.

Ps I'm not a soccer fan, but I thought every game is being broadcast by SBS not Foxtel.

jayzz19
23-05-2006, 07:25 AM
Yeah thats true it is on SBS, but seeing as i don't have a regular STB I am planning on recording SBS via my Foxtel Digital STB so I can get widescreen :D

Edit: Missed out on a Thomson TiVo overnight, shattered having trouble finding suitable ones and eksys is out at the moment, so fingers crossed, went to a mates house and checked his out, picture quality is alot better than I thought so I'm can't wait to get one!

scroobles
23-05-2006, 03:21 PM
I have one for sale in Sydney ready to go - here is the post:

http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?t=1066