PDA

View Full Version : tivo working and suddenly....no video

basque
08-04-2006, 02:33 PM
I happily have a philips tivo since few months ago and Im very happy with it and I have had no problems with it...until yesterday when I decided to swap my stu200 for a stu120. At the start I had no problems with the swap but since I wanted to use the tivo controller to control the cablebox I decided to reboot the tivo in guided mode but when I tried to fix the remote control the screen displayed that there wasnt any image coming from the cable box...so the I went to cablebox/recorder video options and it displayed no video....I have also tried my digital stb with s-video and novideo was shown again...

any hints of what im doing or could be wrong with the tivo?

Darren King
08-04-2006, 03:42 PM
Are you in NTSC mode perhaps? If so then you need to be in PAL mode.

petestrash
09-04-2006, 05:09 AM
There are 2 main ways of checking.

Method 1.
You can check by typing:
http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/pal_ntsc/

Into a browser where the xxx's are your Tivo's IP, and it will show the mode your in like below:

root=/dev/hda4 runideturbo=false TV_STD=PAL GS=0

You may have TV_STD=NTSC listed instead of PAL.

If that is the case, either press the PAL link or type the following into the browser:

http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/pal_ntsc/PAL

Then Reboot.

Method 2.
Check by typing:

bootpage -p /dev/hda

In a telnet session, and you will see something like:

root=/dev/hda4 runideturbo=false TV_STD=PAL GS=0

You may have TV_STD=NTSC listed instead of PAL.

If this is the case, type:

bootpage -P 'root=/dev/hda4 runideturbo=false TV_STD=PAL GS=0' /dev/hda

Note the capital -P this time, and the two single quotes. Then type:

reboot

Peter.

basque
09-04-2006, 06:45 PM
I changed to PAL and reboot several times an my web-tivo says:
root=/dev/hda4 runideturbo=false TV_STD=PAL

so that should be ok....I hooked up all cables correctly and the cable boxes work fine...but still tivo says that there isnt video.
I will image a small hard drive in the following days to see if that helps...is there any possibility that this is hardware related?

thanks a lot

petestrash
09-04-2006, 07:31 PM
Did you perhaps select the wrong input source when setting up the new box.

Can you try both the composite and s-video inputs using any PAL source (PS2,DVD's,Xbox etc).

Peter.

Darren King
09-04-2006, 08:20 PM
is there any possibility that this is hardware related?

Given it is something that happened at exactly the same time you altered something I would say 99.9% no. Of course there are always coincidences but I doubt it.