PDA

View Full Version : PAL Tuner in NZ?

Grant
10-05-2004, 10:03 AM
Hi,

Has anybody got the pal tuner working in NZ?

I've done the hardware mods but cannot get the local channels to add in.

If I redo guided setup selecting antenna then the second dial up fails/hangs. (the first is just fine )

I suspect that the antenna option is not compatible with dial up / internal modem? if not anybody know whats the workaround proceedure?

regds
Grant

deanm
10-05-2004, 11:05 AM
Don't think emulator is setup for antenna input (my assumption 'tho)
You'll have to apply some manual intervention :cool:

have a look at Tim's NZ FAQ (http://www.tjv.info/tivo-howto.aspx) the Setting an A/V Source bit..

timmy
10-05-2004, 12:31 PM
how much did the tuner set you back?

Grant
10-05-2004, 02:24 PM
A$30 for the tuner, A$30 for the stereo decoder veroboard special A$10 P&P, from Darren King.

a warning tho - desoldering a couple of pins off the fine pitch QFP SMT IC is not for the faint hearted... you need to know what you're doing with a v.small soldering iron.

;)

zollymonsta
10-05-2004, 03:29 PM
Eeek!

Think I'll pass on the mod for now and stick to composite

Call me old fashioned, if it aint broke I aint gonna fix it.

ehintz
10-05-2004, 07:54 PM
Eeek!

Think I'll pass on the mod for now and stick to composite

Call me old fashioned, if it aint broke I aint gonna fix it.

We think alike, you and I... :)

Grant
11-05-2004, 05:34 AM
hey - the aussies do it - how hard can it be! ... at least with a soldering iron I know its gonna stay fixed - unlike those damn bits n bytes...

- Ed have you got any comment on the emulator compatiblity question? ie is the tuner not going to work because the emulator only loads the data for sky channels anyway? or some such jiggery pokery ( technical term)

In Aus they redo guided setup with the antenna option and the channels appear. Is the emulator only compatible with Cable = composite input?

(I'm yet to find a way to address the internal tuner to create it as a source - so can't see how to add it in after doing a cable setup)

:)

ehintz
11-05-2004, 08:27 AM
hey - the aussies do it - how hard can it be! ... at least with a soldering iron I know its gonna stay fixed - unlike those damn bits n bytes...

- Ed have you got any comment on the emulator compatiblity question? ie is the tuner not going to work because the emulator only loads the data for sky channels anyway? or some such jiggery pokery ( technical term)

In Aus they redo guided setup with the antenna option and the channels appear. Is the emulator only compatible with Cable = composite input?

(I'm yet to find a way to address the internal tuner to create it as a source - so can't see how to add it in after doing a cable setup)

Well, WAG mode here, but I do think I'd have to create a new headend slice for it. Presumably the channels would also have different IDs than the Sky data as well, so t/j's data wouldn't work... I suspect if you follow the manual add source instructions (either from Tim's faq or the OzTivo site) you'll get the source going, but data is a whole 'nother issue. Assuming all of this is accurate, and if Jaidev wants to create a FTA data slice, I'm willing to create another headend slice for the emulator. Should be fairly easy (but pointless unless somebody's creating data slices).

timmy
11-05-2004, 08:51 AM
the slices have had fta data in them. eg fta-tv, fta-tv2, etc. not sure whether they are in your headend or not, would have thought so as Jaidev has a PAL tuner?

ehintz
11-05-2004, 11:08 AM
the slices have had fta data in them. eg fta-tv, fta-tv2, etc. not sure whether they are in your headend or not, would have thought so as Jaidev has a PAL tuner?I just took a look, if it's there it's not obvious to me. But that doesn't mean it's not there; could just mean I don't know what to look for. I would think that it would be done with two seperate headends, but again I've not looked into it previously. Jaidev would likely be the real authority here.

Yem
15-05-2004, 08:46 PM
My tivo is now nicely palmodded thanks to DK, but I'm getting the "no signal" blue screen (with a black bar at the bottom - that's normal right?).

No sky so its just TV1, TV2, TV3, C4, Triangle, Prime, Juice & Maori I'm after.

How does the tivo know what freq to tune each channel to?

Grepping some stuff from the Sky/Saturn howto on tjv.net, I ran:

# cd /var/hack/guide

# ./delallsources

# ./add-fta.tcl

# ./lssources

SignalSource 2274/44 {
Connector = 1
ProviderName = FTA
RFChannel = 0
SignalType = 1
}

# ./add-whole-channel.tcl 7998001 1 TV1 "TV1" 2274/44
# ./add-whole-channel.tcl 7998002 2 TV2 "TV2" 2274/44
# ./add-whole-channel.tcl 7998003 3 TV3 "TV3" 2274/44
# ./add-whole-channel.tcl 7998006 6 Prime "Prime" 2274/44
# ./add-whole-channel.tcl 7998032 32 C4 "C4" 2274/44
# ./add-whole-channel.tcl 7998033 33 Maori "Maori Television" 2274/44
# ./add-whole-channel.tcl 7998099 99 NoNag "NoNag" 2274/44
Now I can flick through these channels using the remote but there is no signal on any of them.

PS: happy to write up a FTA/palmod howto when this is up and running - if there isn't already one.

thomson
17-05-2004, 11:46 AM
If you are using your (RF) tuner then you need to get your UHF channels correct. They change a little depending on your region (usually shifted
just by one), but in Wellington they are as follows:

TV1 UHF 1
TV2 UHF 5
TV3 UHF 11
C4 UHF 2
MTV UHF 44
Prime UHF 60

For example:
# ./add-whole-channel.tcl 7998001 1 TV1 "TV1" 2274/44
# ./add-whole-channel.tcl 7998002 5 TV2 "TV2" 2274/44
# ./add-whole-channel.tcl 7998003 11 TV3 "TV3" 2274/44
# ./add-whole-channel.tcl 7998006 60 Prime "Prime" 2274/44
# ./add-whole-channel.tcl 7998032 2 C4 "C4" 2274/44
# ./add-whole-channel.tcl 7998033 44 Maori "Maori Television" 2274/44
# ./add-whole-channel.tcl 7998099 99 NoNag "NoNag" 2274/44

Yem
17-05-2004, 05:25 PM
Thanks for that. Is there a reliable place to get the UHF channels for TV1, 2, 3 & C4? The other stations have tuning info on their websites, but not TVNZ or Canwest..

I think its time to reflash the hard drive. Can't even add channels at the moment:

[TiVo [p0] /var/hack/guide]# ./add-whole-channel.tcl 7998001 1 TV1 "TV1" 2274/53
The file id you will need to use add-channel is 20553/10
commit failed (0x30012)

while executing
"transaction {uplevel $body}"
(procedure "RetryTransaction" line 5)
invoked from within
"RetryTransaction {
set station [db $db create Station]
set stationid [dbobj $station fsid]/[dbobj $station subobjid]
puts "The file id yo..."
(file "./add-whole-channel.tcl" line 12)

When you do a ./lssources is the RFChannel attribute 0 or 1?

thomson
18-05-2004, 12:25 PM
I ended up just browsing using the tuner to find the various channels. Just start at 1 and go up to 63 writing down what you find. This is made easier by the watermarks that all channels feel they need to impose on us???

I am running a UK unit so my RF channel is probably 22 (which is the UHF frequency that I am using to view output, as the default 60 clashes with Prime where I live).

Yem
22-05-2004, 06:04 PM
Just reimaged the drive and added 99 test channels - one for each UHF channel named Test01, Test02, etc. Flicking through the channels, the only ones that got any signal at all were:

UHF6 TV2 (video is perfect, audio is terrible - 90% white noise)
UHF61 Juice (audio and video good)
UHF45 Maori (audio and video good)

.. all the other channels show no signal. This is in Mt Eden, Auckland, NZ.

Am I boned?

Edit: hmm just checked the aerial on the roof. It looks like the old style VHF one with this small finned thing stuck on top. That would probably explain why the television is tuned on the VHF band for 1, 2, 3, C4 and UHF for the rest. Might be time to get a proper UHF antenna.

thomson
06-06-2004, 01:34 PM
I have just modified palmod and palmod_config so that they will work with a Samsung/ALPS tuner in New Zealand. The previous version would have only worked with Philips tuners.

I have provided the source as well as the compiled binaries. This will get the RF input and output video working. I have had a look at the AUS stereo modifications and it will not work here as they use Zweiton Stereo (5.742MHz offset) and we use NICAM (with a 5.85MHz offset). The Australian (analogue) stereo modification will not work with our digital NICAM system.

The reason is that in Australia the base carrier (5.5MHz) carries a mono signal (Left+Right)/2 and the second carrier (5.742MHz) carries the Right hand channel. Over here we have digital stereo encoded with Nicam meaning that the base carrier (5.5MHz) carries a mono signal, but the second carrier (5.85MHz) carries a digitally modulated Left and Right channel - which is how we get a digital stereo signal.

Currently it looks like the MSP3430G chip will need to be replaced with a MSP3450G chip (or possibly a MSP3410D as found in the UK systems) in order to decode PAL-B/G NICAM. This is an 80pin surface mounted chip - so not a job for the casual hacker.

stuge
29-06-2004, 05:11 AM
Now that Thomson has developed the NZ palmod, is it still necessary to ./add-whole-channel.tcl ...etc... or does the palmod load the necessary fta channels?

I have just palmodded my US box that was configured via guided setup. Am having some difficulty getting palmod to work for me.

Any help much appreciated.

stuge

thomson
29-06-2004, 05:40 AM
Is it still necessary to ./add-whole-channel.tcl ...etc... or does the palmod load the necessary fta channels?

The palmod will just modify the frequency tables so that they are in tune with the ranges that we use here in NZ as well as configure other internal settings to be PAL aware. The modified palmod just gets the module working with the Samsung/ALPS tuners whereas previously it was only working with the Philips. It should be made clear that in order to recieve FTA channels over your standard TV aerial you will need to ensure you have a PAL tuner (the US models come with an NTSC tuner that will need replacing), otherwise you will need to use a VCR or STB (Sky/Saturn) to receive the channels.

You should be able to find the FTA channels by using the "LiveTV" button and the numbers on the remote. Start at 1 and work your way up to 63 writing down the channels that you find. You can then use this information to create your headend either manually or using the "add-whole-channel.tcl" script.

In Wellington the FTA channels are:
1 - TV1, 2 - C4, 5 - TV2, 11 - TV3, 44 - Maori TV, 60 - Prime

stuge
29-06-2004, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the info Thomson, and for the palmod ..um.. mod!

I still am not having any joy getting the tuner to work properly. I can't add-whole-channel, despite being able to see the fta TV channels by pressing the numbers on the remote. I keep getting my hopes up only to have them dashed by:

commit failed (0x30012)
while executing
invoked from within
"RetryTransaction {
set station [db $db create Station]
set stationid [dbobj $station fsid]/[dbobj $station subobjid]
puts "The file id yo..."
(file "./add-whole-channel.tcl" line 12)

Reading the forums, this is because I have already had a channel associated with that unique id and it can't be reused. Fair enough but it doesn't really help me. Recommendation to go through TiVo "System Reset", "Clear and Delete Everything" works to free up the unique id but then I need to start again with a guided setup screen. So I avoid guided setup and go straight to opening a bash prompt, as per Tim's How-to. Now the fta chanels won't show up at all and I have a white line at the top of my screen. :mad:

It appears that our Oz friends can opt for fta channels through their emulator. Is this the solution to my problems? I am almost ready to admit PAL tuner defeat, get into bed with the devil and get Sky. Anyone here had success with a PAL modded US tivo, I would be keen to hear how you did it.

Next stop for me - reimage the disk to start from scatch.

number6
30-06-2004, 06:40 AM
Thanks for the info Thomson, and for the palmod ..um.. mod!

I still am not having any joy getting the tuner to work properly. I can't add-whole-channel, despite being able to see the fta TV channels by pressing the numbers on the remote. I keep getting my hopes up only to have them dashed by:
Reading the forums, this is because I have already had a channel associated with that unique id and it can't be reused. Fair enough but it doesn't really help me. Recommendation to go through TiVo "System Reset", "Clear and Delete Everything" works to free up the unique id but then I need to start again with a guided setup screen. So I avoid guided setup and go straight to opening a bash prompt, as per Tim's How-to. Now the fta chanels won't show up at all and I have a white line at the top of my screen. :mad:

It appears that our Oz friends can opt for fta channels through their emulator. Is this the solution to my problems? I am almost ready to admit PAL tuner defeat, get into bed with the devil and get Sky. Anyone here had success with a PAL modded US tivo, I would be keen to hear how you did it.

Next stop for me - reimage the disk to start from scatch.

Heres a possible trick you can use.
to "create a channel" on your Tivo for each FTA station you can get tune into that station using the remote channel buttons, then for each channel press record button to start recording it and proceed all the way through the record options until the recording starts [wait for the red light on the front to come on], wait a few seconds, then press record button again and select " stop recording" to cancel the recording.
Repeat this for all FTA channels you have/can get.
This will auto-create stations on your Tivo, it won't give them the right number (for now) but it will at least give you some channels you can record.
Then you can use the dbset (or dbsetx) to "fix up" the channel Ids and Channel ids and names later on.

Having created the stations like this you now do manual recordings from them and once you have fudged the statiod Id to match the ones in the guide data you'll get program listings as well.

Otherwise, yes do a re-image and start again cleanly.
Unless you're happy with mucking around inside the MFS then this option is the easiest, except you lose existing recordings and any work you've done to date.
From what you're saying thats not much...

thomson
30-06-2004, 08:06 AM
Recommendation to go through TiVo "System Reset", "Clear and Delete Everything" works to free up the unique id but then I need to start again with a guided setup screen. So I avoid guided setup and go straight to opening a bash prompt, as per Tim's How-to. Now the fta chanels won't show up at all and I have a white line at the top of my screen.

My process for setting up a new system is as follows:

Perform a full reset of the TiVo
Don't bother with the GS, just get a bash prompt
dbload30.tcl headend.slice
setheadend 6001
dbload30.tcl NoNag.slice
fixup30.tcl
reboot

If you can give me your list of channels and what UHF number they match to, then I can create you a headend, which will get you up and going. I have never used the emulator, but I doubt that this will cause problems as I load the slices without issues.

Grant
30-06-2004, 01:51 PM
Well I'm 3/4 of the way there... ( thanks to Thomson & Number6! :) )

I've got all the fta channels in and working but don't have guide data yet.

I think the workaround for the commit failed error is to assign a new unique id number.

One of the forums suggested that a total clear and delete everything was unecessary - just a c&d on the program info which would remove the channel info.. this sort of worked.

I did a clear and reset program info, and del sources.
then added back in the FTA source with add-fta.tcl

then changed my add-whole-channel file to add an offset
ie went from 1098003 to 1098103, 1098004 became 1098104

and viola, all channels automagically added in correctly. (happiness filled!)

But.. I'm not picking up guide data yet (via the emulator), I suspect its my channel names syntax but have not done the digging on this yet.

Can anyone shed some light on this ? - from Jaidevs post I used FTA-TV1 etc, but now suspect that just TV1 etc is correct, if so is there a way to directly edit the names using dbset or similar?

Also am keen to rearrange the sequence to be correct ie tv2 comes after tv1 and before tv3..

But meanwhile I'm watching FTA tv on my Tivo !!!! damn it rocks! :cool:

Grant
30-06-2004, 02:10 PM
For the record - the christchurch FTA freq's are:

TV1 = 3
TV2 = 8
TV3 = 6
C4 = 11
Prime = 62
Maori = 46
CTV = 44
AM = 39 ( amateur TV hackers..)

Thomson if your offer stands of a custom headend then I'd say thanks.

This is the code that doesn't pickup the guidedata off the emulator but otherwise worked nicely.. as a file rz'd into tivo.

#! /bin/sh
tivosh add-whole-channel.tcl 1098101 3 FTA-TV1 "TV1" 2274/71
tivosh add-whole-channel.tcl 1098102 8 FTA-TV2 "TV2" 2274/71
tivosh add-whole-channel.tcl 1098106 62 FTA-Prime "Prime" 2274/71
tivosh add-whole-channel.tcl 1098103 6 FTA-TV3 "TV3" 2274/71
tivosh add-whole-channel.tcl 1098132 11 FTA-C4 "C4" 2274/71
tivosh add-whole-channel.tcl 1098144 44 FTA-CTV "CTV" 2274/71
tivosh add-whole-channel.tcl 1098139 39 FTA-AM "AM" 2274/71
tivosh add-whole-channel.tcl 1098133 46 FTA-Maori "The Maori Channel" 2274/71
tivosh add-whole-channel.tcl 1098199 99 NoNag "NoNag" 2274/71

thomson
30-06-2004, 03:45 PM
Also am keen to rearrange the sequence to be correct ie tv2 comes after tv1 and before tv3.

I have attached a headend slice for Christchurch... should be able to follow the above instructions using the chch-headend.slice file and "setheadend 8001" rather than 6001 (which I use for Wellington).

If you want to reorder stuff, then you should install the ChannelMap module for TivoWeb (and alter the channel numbers to be what you want) and use the "finetune" parameter in palmod.conf to reorder the channel frequency table:

eg: 1:62250,2:203250,3:189250,4:224250,5:799250,6:6712 50,7:655250,8:615250

This will set the correct frequencies and positions for the (ChCh) channels you provided.

stuge
01-07-2004, 10:13 AM
The headend from Thomson worked a treat. The deceptively simple installation instructions got the channels all setup and working. It achieved in 15 minutes what I had been struggling with for days. Happy, happy, joy, joy.

My channels needed a bit of a tweak to get TV1 on the right frequency, but that is simple as anything with the Channel Map module for Tivoweb (http://tivo.lightn.org/channelmap.itcl.gz).

I would encourage anyone wanting to opt for a PAL modded US Tivo to give it a go. The headend slices are easily installed and tweaked to suit your region. The only additional thing I did outside Thomson's instuctions was to edit the postcodezones file to include "06001 Pacific/Auckland" to match the headend.

Happy to report a fully functioning US Tivo with no ongoing Sky charges. Wonderful. Thanks to all who helped.

Stuge

thomson
02-07-2004, 09:40 AM
My channels needed a bit of a tweak to get TV1 on the right frequency, but that is simple as anything with the Channel Map module for Tivoweb (http://tivo.lightn.org/channelmap.itcl.gz).

Now that you have got it working, it is time to expand your knowledge. If you use the finetune option of palmod you should be able to get the channels mapped correctly to their respective numbers (so that you can hit 2 to get to channel 2).

The following finetune parameters (should be able to use palmod_config to change these), should be a good starting point. Then you can use your friendly ChannelMap module to remap the stations (1-TV1, 2-TV2, 3-TV3, 4-C4, 5-Prime, 6-MoariTV).

eg: 1:45250,2:182250,3:224250,4:55250,5:783250,6:65525 0

The TV1 (1) channel will be incorrect for you as you must be tuning to a different transmitter to me, but you can use the following table to calculate the correct frequency.

Band Channel Frequency
------ -------- -----------------
VHF-Lo Ch 1 45250
VHF-Lo Ch 2-3 41250+(ch*7000)
VHF-Hi Ch 4-11 147250+(ch*7000)
UHF Ch 20-69 303250+(ch*8000)

zollymonsta
02-07-2004, 10:33 AM

I figure myself that I don't need to do the mod as I'm using a set top box decoder (and will be for ages into the foreseeable future). In some ways it might be easier if I ever decide to sell my TiVo, to sell it unmodified (possibly on ebay).

Not that I intend to sell it, shesh no :D

But, yeah... if you have access to Sky or Saturn then there's not much point in doing the mod.

zollymonsta
02-07-2004, 10:33 AM
We think alike, you and I... :)

What's the saying? 'Great minds think alike' :)

number6
03-07-2004, 07:51 AM
What's the saying? 'Great minds think alike' :)
And don't forget the (oft forgotten) second line of that saying which is:

"And fools seldom differ".

;)

Grant
03-07-2004, 08:21 AM
FWIW

Modding US Tivo for PAL reception in NZ actually appears to be quite easy given the advice and files from Thomson & Number6

It looks like Nicam sound is not an option on US tivos so the component changes are just the ALP's tuner module itself. this is prety easy to do. ( esp. compared to adding the Oz stereo mod)

From Thomsons research its only practical to get Nicam if we start with UK tivo's or somehow source the micronas QFP chip - maybe a collective buy in the future.

If you already a sky/saturn subscriber then its probably 50/50 if there is any benefit (recording FTA while watching sky?), but for the rest of us its damn good to have FTA on Tivo as a standalone solution. :)

finethen
09-08-2004, 09:35 PM
I have followed Thomsons instructions quoted

setheadend 6001
dbload30.tcl NoNag.slice
fixup30.tcl
reboot

This seems to have the desired effect. Do I just have to edit headend.slice and rerun to get the Auckland (Waiatarua) channels? If so can I edit within nano? or has someone done this already? What other files should be altered?

FTA Channels for Auckland (Waiatarua)

2 TV1 "TV1"
4 TV2 "TV2"
7 TV3 "TV3"
9 C4 "C4"
41 Triangle "Triangle"
43 Maori "Maori Television"
55 Trackside "Trackside"
57 Juice "Juice"
59 Prime "Prime"

Thanks for any help that may come my way

UK PAL TiVo, Aerial connection for FTA

Grant
11-08-2004, 02:27 PM

setheadend 6001
dbload30.tcl NoNag.slice
fixup30.tcl
reboot

If you can give me your list of channels and what UHF number they match to, then I can create you a headend, which will get you up and going. I have never used the emulator, but I doubt that this will cause problems as I load the slices without issues.

Hmm.. problems still... I can't get setheadend to work.

The only thing I can see different is that I'm running US+ PAL mod rather than UK original PAL tivo.

I can dbload the headend slice okay but cannot get the sethedend command to work, it always fails with 'can't find it type errors' (sorry I don't know how to capture the details yet.)

One weird thing is a mismatch between the slice info and the postcodezones file.

what name should the directory for the Christchurch headend go into? /Pacific or /? - I ask because the headend slice uses Christchurch New Zealand - and I assume that a directory with a two word name ie New & Zealand isn't possible - so there is a mismatch between the slice and postcodezones file.

Stuge - how did you solve this?

thomson
23-08-2004, 07:12 AM
Hmm.. problems still... I can't get setheadend to work.

Have a look at message #24 (http://www.forums.oztivo.net/showpost.php?p=1125&postcount=24). It could be that you just need the chch-headend slice, and remember to use 8001 (chch) rather than 6001 (wgtn).

Grant
24-08-2004, 04:42 AM
Hi Thomson - nice to have you back! (tanned?)

Yes I tried setting the postcodezones file to chch 8001 but couldn't get it to load correctly.

Please clarify - does the structure and naming of the guide data directory matter?

I assume that the postcodezones and directorys need to be the same.

what name should the directory for the Christchurch headend go into? /Pacific or /? - I ask because the headend slice uses Christchurch New Zealand - and I assume that a directory with a two word name ie New & Zealand isn't possible - so there is a mismatch between the slice and postcodezones file.

I have it all running by manually loading slices but can't get the emulator to kick into life.

cheers
G.

thomson
24-08-2004, 05:49 AM
Please clarify - does the structure and naming of the guide data directory matter?

I have it all running by manually loading slices but can't get the emulator to kick into life.

Oops... that could be a problem. I load all my slices manually and have never used the emulator on my TiVo's. I doubt that my method or headend slices will work with the emulator as I am guessing that the emulator provides its own headends and expectes 02113(?) rather than 8001. I am sorry, but I do not know enough about the emulator to be of much help at the moment.

It is likely that we will need to alter the emulator to support more headend slices in order to get the FTA channels working correctly in the various locations around New Zealand... as I am pretty sure the standard one will only work with STB's.

Somebody else with knowledge of the emulator may be able to shed a little light on various options.

Grant
24-08-2004, 06:01 PM
well thats actually good news, I'm not feeling quite so thick now! :D

so could you compile a headend that used 02113 with chch freq and location as auckland/ pacific and I'll try running that thru and see what happens.

meanwhile domestic bliss as tivo grabs the olympic show jumping...

thomson
25-08-2004, 06:58 AM
so could you compile a headend that used 02113 with chch freq and location as auckland/ pacific and I'll try running that thru and see what happens.

There is versioning controls within the MFS database which would cause problems if this was done. There would also be a collision with the channel numbers as (for example) I am using channels 1-6 for FTA channels, and the 02113 headend is also using these for Sky/Saturn channels.

So it would be possible to override the 02113 slice by using a high version number on the relevant database entries, but if you are also using a STB then it would mess up the lower channels... Still who am I to stop you :) I have provided a headend slice that may do the trick. If things do mess up, then you will need to do a database reset/clear to get the emulator working again.

Grant
26-08-2004, 05:03 AM
hmmm.. thanks for the slice. I think I will wait for a few days before trying it. The aforementioned domestic bliss may suddenly end if I install an 'improvement' and it all goes pear shaped... I'll report back next week!

Meanwhile I think I will post a new question on the mainboard - i'm interested to know if anyone has actually got the palmod + fta + emulator working.... I suspect not from your comments....

cheers.

thomson
26-08-2004, 06:16 AM
hmmm.. thanks for the slice. I think I will wait for a few days before trying it. The aforementioned domestic bliss may suddenly end if I install an 'improvement' and it all goes pear shaped... I'll report back next week!

Meanwhile I think I will post a new question on the mainboard - i'm interested to know if anyone has actually got the palmod + fta + emulator working.... I suspect not from your comments....

Sorry I can not be of more help, believe it or not I actually do not have an Internet connection at home so running with the emulator is not an option for me. I will eventually have to get a connection at home at which point I will set it up to use the emulator, but I do not see it happening within the next couple of months.

Grant
27-08-2004, 06:46 AM
hey no prob, I really apreciate your work to date. hopefully by the time you get the internet I will have figured the emulator/pal/fta/god-knows-what-else combination. :)

jaidev
25-09-2004, 03:27 PM
I have just modified palmod and palmod_config so that they will work with a Samsung/ALPS tuner in New Zealand. The previous version would have only worked with Philips tuners.

It's hard to keep track of the palmod versions, I have a Philips FI1216MK2 tuner in one of my older tivo's, where can I get the previous palmod that'd work with this tuner in NZ?

Also someone want to write up the howto on the wiki for Philips/Alps/Samsung tuners.

cheers
Jaidev

Grant
25-09-2004, 06:47 PM
I think the howto for palmod of US series 1 tivo is simple... don't do it.

a couple of things came out of Thomsons great work -

1) you can't get nicam sound off unless you start with a UK tivo
2) No one has a Pal modded US series one working with the emulator. (Please prove me wrong)

I haven't tried T's latest code but I gotta say my VCR is doing less and less and would become a real easy nicam source that is emulator compatible..... much as I like the palmod I'm beginning to think its just not worth the grief.

G.

jaidev
26-09-2004, 12:12 AM
I think the howto for palmod of US series 1 tivo is simple... don't do it.

a couple of things came out of Thomsons great work -

1) you can't get nicam sound off unless you start with a UK tivo
2) No one has a Pal modded US series one working with the emulator. (Please prove me wrong)

I wasn't talking about a tuner howto for the emulator. However it can be done, need correct headends and data for the FTA channels, just requires a bit of work.
I meant a howto for palmod/tuner setup and FTA channels for the Alps/Samsung and philips tuners.

Tuner palmod US can be done, and has been done as well.

Anyone used the latest Oz palmod 3.0 (http://minnie.tuhs.org/TiVo/files/palmod/us/3.0/)for a US tivo in Auckland? I remember last time I used it Tv2 wasnt working because of an error in the frequency definition..

Grant
26-09-2004, 06:47 AM
Hi J,

yes I understand. I have got the Pal Mod working nicely on my US tivo - but, with the benefit of this new nicam & emulator knowledge I doubt if I would do it again.

Going down the pal mod & fta path forces everything else to be manual updates... lotsa extra grief - so while its a more elegant solution I doubt its the best idea.

I will do some writing for the wiki.

G.

thomson
01-10-2004, 04:54 AM
Thomson's Development Branch
Official OzTiVo palmod can be found here (http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Software/LatestPalModSeries1)

The attached version of palmod contains all of the features of the original OzTiVo palmod but has additional support for the Samsung/ALPS tuners along with realtime picture tuning. This means that you will be able to use iicset commands as well as the palmod_config application to adjust the brightness, contrast and saturation settings in real-time. The changes will only revert to the startup values (found in /etc/palmod.conf) when the channel is changed.

Once you have found the correct settings for your particular system setup then you should make sure you update your /etc/palmod.conf file (using palmod_config) and either reload palmod, or restart your TiVo.

The following will set the Brightness to 125, Contrast to 67, and Saturation to 85:

# iicset 0x42 0x0a 125
# iicset 0x42 0x0b 67
# iicset 0x42 0x0c 85

The following is my /etc/palmod.conf file. The finetune options assign the (Wellington) channel frequencies for TV1,TV2,TV3,C4 and Prime respectively:

brightness=125 contrast=67 saturation=85 avbrightness=125 avcontrast=67
avsaturation=85 screenwidth=544 dualaudioinput=0 tunertype=1 freqtable=1
horizontalshift=195 rfoutput=24 luminanceDelay=0
finetune="1:45250,2:182250,3:224250,4:55250,5:783250"

The following is a /etc/palmod.conf file suitable for Melbourne/Sydney users. The finetune options assign their channel frequencies for Channel 10 as well as a couple of others:

avsaturation=85 screenwidth=544 dualaudioinput=0 tunertype=0 freqtable=0
horizontalshift=195 luminanceDelay=0 finetune="10:209250,11:216250,5:102250"

Improvements over the original OzTivo module are

Real-time adjustment of Brightness, Contrast, Saturation, Luminance Delay and Horizontal Shift.
This new version separates the single "tunertype" parameter into both a "tunertype" and "freqtable" to allow any frequency table to be used with any tuner. Both the new palmod.o and palmod_config binaries are backwards compatible with the single tunertype values (ie they will read old palmod.conf files).
All frequency tables have all channel slots (0-99) available for programming, and there is a blank frequency table for those that like to create their own using the finetune arguments.
Additional configuration, buffer and boundary checks.
Rudimentary auto tuning support (enough to correct Channel 10 in some areas of Australia).
This version has also been fixed so that you can unload the module without crashing the TiVo. So rather than perform a reboot, you can simply use: "rmmod palmod; insmod palmod.o `cat /etc/palmod.conf`".

Current: The latest version (v3.0.8) allows picture adjustment using the +/- keys, rather than entering numbers. It adds support for real-time horizontal shift adjustment (after first checking that you are running 720). It also provides a menu option to reload the kernel module as well as provison for auto adjustment of channel frequencies. The following are a couple of screen dumps from it:

Palmod Configuration Tool (3.0.8)

1. Tuner Picture Settings
2. A/V Picture Settings
3. Picture Resolution
4. Audio Settings
5. Tuner Settings

S. Save settings and exit
R. Reload palmod with new settings
Q. Quit without saving settings

Choice:

Brightness = 125 (range 0 - 255, default 125)

Use - + to adjust the value by 1
Use [ ] to adjust the value by 10
Use { } to set the value to min/max
Use 1-9 for fast adjustment within range
Use 0 to reset back to default value
Use P to be prompted for a value

ENTER to accept new value
ESCAPE to cancel changes

Note: A new OzTivo version (v3.1) has now been released which incorporates some of the improvements implemented here. However it does change the name of all of the passed parameters so it's configuration file will no longer be compatible with that used by this, and other, kernel modules.

FYI: If you wish to implement a safer way of updating palmod, then you may wish to have a look here (http://www.forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?p=2434#post2434).

jaidev
24-11-2004, 07:03 AM
Thomson does your palmod incoporate oztivo Keith's recent changes?
I'll just paste what he said here...

"There's a new palmod file available for download which eliminates the vertical chroma shift and the flickering picture on channel changes."

I have 1 tivo and also a friend experiencing chroma shift issue on svideo, both running the orig oztivo 3.0, so thought I'd ask before changing palmod's.
It'd be great if you could incorporate your changes into Keith's one..

cheers
Jaidev

thomson
24-11-2004, 08:30 AM
It'd be great if you could incorporate your changes into Keith's one.

I have been improving and posting updates to palmod for months... I have had to as the Australian version does not have support for the Samsung/ALPS tuner in New Zealand. But if you have a look at the history information for the Wiki's and Uploads sections on the OzTiVo site then you will find that they have always been removed... this is why they are now posted in this thread. Recent changes have allowed users in Poland and Italy to also tune to their local channels.

I will incorporate Keith's recent changes and post a new version. It is completely up to you which version you install. My version supports real-time tuning, otherwise you need to reboot for any tweak made.

Update: the change has been incorporated and has been posted as v3.0.4

jaidev
24-11-2004, 05:39 PM
I will incorporate Keith's recent changes and post a new version. It is completely up to you which version you install. My version supports real-time tuning, otherwise you need to reboot for any tweak made.

Update: the change has been incorporated and has been posted as v3.0.4

Definitely using yours, thanks for the great work dude..
cheers

thomson
26-11-2004, 04:40 AM
The two versions are now being merged, so the next OzTiVo/Keith release should have all the goodies in it.

Update: Keith's release as been rolled back to the 19th November source, so the latest changes are no longer in the official version.

thomson
27-11-2004, 10:14 AM
Latest palmod.o (http://www.forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?p=2164#post2164) (v3.0.5) fixes up an issue with luminanceDelay. This version also is kinder the the kernel, so that it can be unloaded without issues... the benefit here is that you no longer require a reboot for any change :) The palmod_config has yet to be updated, but will be done in the next few days.... Once this is done a simple channel change should be enough to activate all of the altered settings.

mobelby
10-12-2004, 09:39 AM
Thomson,

Are you still planning to update your palmod_config file. I have been holding back on trying out your version of palmod.o in the hope you were issuing a matching config file.

Thanks

Moby

EDIT - I TAKE IT BACK, I THINK YOU HAVE ALREADY DONE SO IN THE ZIPPED BIN FILE ?

Wibble
10-12-2004, 10:40 AM
If you are using the svideo input and are using a pre-3.05 version, all I can say is upgrade today, now, run...

The picture quality is great.
And you get to fiddle with a values live (in my case in the lounge with a laptop, staying within palmod_config and seeing the changes on the TV screen)

A great thanks to Thomson for his great work.

PS: My current values for Sky on svideo are as follows
(I'm still tweaking, it might still be a bit bright)

avbrightness=109
avcontrast=73
avsaturation=51
luminanceDelay=0

thomson
10-12-2004, 03:55 PM
Are you still planning to update your palmod_config file. I have been holding back on trying out your version of palmod.o in the hope you were issuing a matching config file.

The configuration file all depends on your setup. There is an example of a /etc/palmod.conf file in the post (http://www.forums.oztivo.net/showpost.php?p=2164&postcount=45) that contains the zip files, however you should run the provided "palmod_config" in order to create/make changes to your existing setup.

The steps involved in updating your palmod can be found in this wiki (http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Howto/UpgradingPalmodforLinuxNewbies).

Note: The palmod_config file is an executable application and not a configuration file.

mobelby
10-12-2004, 05:15 PM
Thanks Thomson

All installed and configured. It really helps fine tuning the colour saturation in real time. All looks good now

Moby

indulis
13-12-2004, 01:57 AM
Just installed palmod V3.0.5 from http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Software/LatestPalModSeries1 and now when the TiVo boots up, it doesn't seem to want to "lock on" to the signal.

Instead, I get a sort of negative blocky image, in purples and greens. Sort of a rave party TiVo, or maybe a retro flower power "tune in, turn on, trip out" TiVo (except it won't tune in!).

Anyway, once I do a channel change everything is OK.

rc.arch is OK (according to the PDF document) and my Tivo has been working fine for ages. Any ideas?

Problem is not too serious, just a little bit annoying.

My TiVo is setup up to use a Thomson digital STB as the tuner. I had the same results feeding the Tivo from my Sony DVD player. If I disconnect the video in signal and reconnect it, the Tivo also fixes itself up (am using composite video in).

Cheers,

Indulis

thomson
13-12-2004, 04:49 AM
I have just updated the unofficial palmod code. It now provides a completely new interactive method of tuning the picture settings. It can be found in the following post (http://www.forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?p=2164#post2164).

Indulis, I am not sure if there is much that can be done for your problem (although you may like to try the above version to see if it helps). The issue is that the functions in the palmod module are not actually called until you change a channel. Technically it would be possible to adjust some of the settings on module initialisation (startup) but that would require it knowing which input you are using - which is not provided until you switch channels. You should not need to reboot the TiVo much, but if this is a problem for you then I could look into adding code into the initialisation in the hope that that runs after whatever is messing up your inputs.

16-12-2004, 09:19 AM
thomson,

Thanks for pointing me here with the issues of the 3.05 version on minnie and also thanks for fixing the 210.25 Channel 10 frequency back to the 95% common ly used 209.25 so quickly!!

I just wanted to thankyou and let you know the new version is working just perfectly!

Phil Dew
04-02-2005, 11:41 AM
Can any one give me a step by step approach to get my US Philips series 1 tuning properly. I have been away for a while, so I notice that GRANT seems to have had some success. Currently the TiVo I have has got a Philip's compatible tuner fitted and checked. I once got it to tune into PRIME here in the Waikato, but now it doesn't. Every time I set the Fine tune parameter in the PAL_MOD.conf file or add_whole_channel, the TiVo no longer talks to the tuner module (have checked it with a oscilloscope), why? What have I forgotten or got wrong? The bloody thing getting frustrating.........
I have now downloaded the latest PALMOD file, so I will copy that across and see what happens. Any clue from anyone, I would prefer to get this thing to run stand alone. At the moment the wife would rather I use it for a anchor as it would be more useful.......

Help me please!

Waikato channels are Tv1= Ch1, Tv2= Ch3, Tv3= Ch10, C4= Ch7, Maori= Ch44, Prime= Ch60.

PS. I am not worried about the TV guide part, if it runs as a normal PVR is fine with me.

thomson
04-02-2005, 12:29 PM
Waikato channels are Tv1= Ch1, Tv2= Ch3, Tv3= Ch10, C4= Ch7, Maori= Ch44, Prime= Ch60. I am not worried about the TV guide part, if it runs as a normal PVR is fine with me.

Okay... if you wish to load the palmod version located in this post (http://www.forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?p=2164#post2164) and then place the following in your /etc/palmod.conf file, then you should be up and running.

avsaturation=85 screenwidth=544 dualaudioinput=0 tunertype=0 freqtable=1
horizontalshift=195 rfoutput=24 luminanceDelay=0
finetune="1:45250,2:62250,3:217250,4:196250,5:783250,6:65525 0"

Remove the space in the 655250 number, it's just odd formating?!?

If you wish to load a headend then I have also attached one that should work in Waikato. My process for setting up a new standalone (one without Internet access) system is as follows:

dbload30.tcl waikato-headend.slice
setheadend 6001
dbload30.tcl NoNag.slice
fixup30.tcl
reboot

You may also wish to edit the postcodezones file to include "06001 Pacific/Auckland"

Phil Dew
30-03-2005, 10:03 AM
Hey thanks heaps Thomson. It works a treat now, but....

When I select channel 1 the unit seems to be looking at the AV input? the screen goes blank then to the blue screen of no input signal. Any ideas? would be nice to get the channels in order. At the moment they are 1 step out, it will recieve channel 1 but not on screen channel 1 get the idea?. Also is there anyway to increase the output audio level a little, just being picky here but it would be nice to get the levels the same on my TV so I don't have to keep adjusting the volume.

PS My first problem seems to have been that the Tuner module I had, had lost its internal +32vDc rail for the tuning sections, this took a bit of finding! But it goes like a dream now, yeah... :)

thomson
30-03-2005, 07:24 PM
would be nice to get the channels in order. At the moment they are 1 step out, it will recieve channel 1 but not on screen channel 1 get the idea?

There is a TivoWeb module called ChannelMap (http://tivo.lightn.org/channelmap.itcl.gz) which should do the job... it will allow you to map the channels to whatever you wish. If you do not already have it you can use this link (http://tivo.lightn.org/channelmap.itcl.gz) and save it as ChannelMap.itcl in your TivoWeb modules directory.

Also is there anyway to increase the output audio level a little, just being picky here but it would be nice to get the levels the same on my TV so I don't have to keep adjusting the volume.

I am guessing there is a way... not sure if anyone has done it... I think the Tivoapp process would likely reset the parameter often.

Phil Dew
11-04-2005, 06:14 AM
Thomson, could I use the add_whole_channel.tcl commands? or are they unlikely to work? As for the audio output issue, it doesn't seem to be that bad once I use the TiVo more and more.

thomson
11-04-2005, 07:28 AM
Thomson, could I use the add_whole_channel.tcl commands? or are they unlikely to work?

You could use add_whole_channel.tcl but that would just do the same as loading a headend.slice file. You may also need to delete the existing sources in order to add new ones.

By loading the headend.slice (you can use ChannelMap to re-map the channels if required), and then setting the correct frequencies with the FineTune parameter should be all you need to get things working nicely (eg 1=TV2, 2=TV2, 3=TV3, etc). If you are pressing '1' on the remote and not getting TV1 then the chances are the FineTune parameters are incorrect. You can browse the MFS database using TivoWeb to check that the slice has loaded correctly - I think this is under Setup->Sources (otherwise you will need to delete all sources and start again).

Gordon
05-06-2005, 06:33 PM
I have a US tivo running the oztivo 3.0 image. I have fitted the hardware PAL tuner mod. Now I just need to get the correct channels tuned in. So I am looking for an Auckland headend with the following channel frequencies which I got from my TV. They were in MHz, and I assume the tivo is set up in KHz:
TV1:55.25MHZor 55250Khz,
TV2:175250Khz
TV3: 196250Khz
TV4: 210250Khz
Triangle: 631250Khz
Prime: 775250Khz
Sky:591120Khz
C4:591310Khz
Juice: 759250Khz
Maori: 647250Khz

I have not been able to find one on this forum. Any assistance in this would be greatfully received

Thanks

thomson
14-06-2005, 06:41 AM
So I am looking for an Auckland headend with the following channel frequencies...

Okay... headends associate the Tivo channel number (the first number in the table) with a Station Identifier. I can create a headend that contains most of the following channels, but am missing information for TV4, Triangle and Sky.

02 - TV1, 55250Khz, channelid=1031, stationid=7998001
04 - TV2, 175250Khz, channelid=1032, stationid=7998002
07 - TV3, 196250Khz, channelid=1033, stationid=7998003
09 - TV4, 210250Khz, ?What is this channel?
41 - Triangle, 631250Khz, ?Can't find a stationid for this?
36 - Sky, 591120Khz, ?Frequency is wrong, and which Sky channel?
59 - Prime, 775250Khz, channelid=1018, stationid=7998006
36 - C4, 591310Khz, channelid=1034, stationid=7998032
57 - Juice, 759250Khz, channelid=1007, stationid=7998030
43 - Maori, 647250Khz, channelid=1025, stationid=7998033

The attachment contains both the source code (.txt file) and the compiled slice (.slice file) for the headend. You should be able to dbload the slice file to get things up and running. Once this is done you should be able to load guide data and have it appear in the on screen EPG.

Gordon
15-06-2005, 06:54 PM
Well I have tried what you suggested Thomson, but still no luck.
I do the dbload sucessfully, but when I do "setheadend 6001" I get the following error message:

[TiVo [p0] /var/hack/bin]# setheadend 6001
can't open object (errDbNotFound)

while executing
"db $db open $objspec"
(procedure "OpenObject" line 3)
invoked from within
"OpenObject $db /PostalCode/$zip"
("uplevel" body line 2)
invoked from within
"uplevel $body"
invoked from within
invoked from within
"RetryTransaction {
set obj [OpenObject $db /PostalCode/$zip]
set he [dbobj $obj get Headend]
set headendId [dbobj $he fsid]
}"
(procedure "SetupHeadend" line 2)
invoked from within
"SetupHeadend $db $zip "
(file "/hack/bin/setheadend" line 144)
[TiVo [p0] /var/hack/bin]#

I dont understand what this means, but my channels don't come up. I have tried a system reset, and done the same procedure, but still no luck. Can you tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks
Gordon

thomson
15-06-2005, 07:25 PM
but when I do "setheadend 6001" I get the following error...
Sorry about that... kind of my fault :(

Might want to try "setheadend 06001" as I changed the code in the slice to be the standard five digits rather than just four which is what I was originally using... there may be an issue with the leading 0, as the TCL code will drop it if converting the string to an integer.

I have attached a headend that uses 6001, so the steps for this headend would be:

1. Perform a full reset of the TiVo
2. Don't bother with the GS, just get a bash prompt
3. dbload30.tcl auckland-headend.slice
4. setheadend 6001
5. dbload30.tcl NoNag.slice
6. fixup30.tcl
7. reboot

gb20
28-06-2005, 07:30 PM
dbload30.tcl waikato-headend.slice
setheadend 6001
dbload30.tcl NoNag.slice
fixup30.tcl
reboot

You may also wish to edit the postcodezones file to include "06001 Pacific/Auckland"I've been having a few troubles getting this going in the Waikato. Currently I get this:

[TiVo [p0] ~]# dbload30.tcl waikato-headend.slice
[TiVo [p0] ~]# ./setheadend 6001
stationId=2378 FccChannelNum=1
stationId=2379 FccChannelNum=2
stationId=2380 FccChannelNum=3
stationId=2381 FccChannelNum=4
stationId=2382 FccChannelNum=5
invalid attribute: PostalCode
while executing
"dbobj $setup set PostalCode $zip"
invoked from within
"transaction {
set setup [FindOrCreateObject $db Setup /Setup]
dbobj $setup set PostalCode $zip
dbobj $setup set TimeZone 0
..."
(procedure "SetupHeadend" line 34)
invoked from within
"SetupHeadend $zip "
(file "./setheadend" line 129)I've added the 06001 line to postcodezones, and been tinkering around and reset+trying things for a while now. setheadend 06001 just gives a longer error without the initial promise of the above capture. I'm using the HDR-X12-20050524 image, which didn't have setheadend included, so I've used the one from here (http://tivo.samba.org/download/tridge/). Any help on how to get this headend set good'n'proper would be appreciated.

Cheers.

thomson
29-06-2005, 08:45 AM
while executing
"dbobj $setup set PostalCode $zip"

Seems that you do not have an existing /Setup/PostalCode entry. I guess the easiest way to set one up would be to find the line in the script that reads:

dbobj $setup set PostalCode $zip
and change it to read:

dbobj $setup add PostalCode $zip
However, you will need to change it back to "set" after you have run the script otherwise if you need to use it again it will error because there is already a field by that name.

gb20
29-06-2005, 10:15 AM
Cheers Thomson, though I'm still having the same trouble with said modification of the script:

while executing
"dbobj $setup add PostalCode $zip"What other ways are there to hack this PostalCode thing? If it helps, /hack/zoneinfo/Pacific/Auckland exists.

[edit] I tried commenting out the first line, then the first & second, and it fails on the later things also, eg TimeZone and DaylightSavingsPolicy. How do I initialise the database it's trying to access?

thomson
29-06-2005, 10:27 AM
Cheers Thomson, though I'm still having the same trouble with said modification of the script

You could browse the MFS using TivoWeb and have a look to see if there is a /Setup/PostalCode entry (using the MFS module). You might also want to include "6001 Pacific/Auckland" in your postcodezones file just in case it needs it (I am pretty sure this file is only used by the fixtivotime script).

Would pay to check that the script does not have ^M (CTRL-M's) in it, as this could mess up things. Otherwise I am not too sure on what the issue could be.

gb20
29-06-2005, 11:16 AM
I went through setheadend with a hex editor, and all linefeeds are done with the 0x0A character, and tabs encoded with spaces. Coudn't see any other non-printable characters, and it shows up alright in cat + joe through telnet.

I hope I'm not a pain having to post so much stuff. MFS gives the following, the system state is after a full reset, and having just dload'ed the waikato headend slice, and had the setheadend fail.

Setup:

Setup 2274/10 {
Version = 2
Source = 2274/11
IndexPath = /Setup
}
PostalCode:

6001 tyDb 2316 06/29/05 13:08 116
PostalCode -> 6001:

PostalCode 2316/11 {
ServerVersion = 304
Headend = 2312/-1
PostalCode = 6001
ServerId = 9000000
Version = 1
IndexPath = /PostalCode/6001 /Server/9000000
}

Should there be an entry under Setup of PostalCode, and is that -1 in the 6001 thing a bad thing?

thomson
29-06-2005, 06:17 PM
Should there be an entry under Setup of PostalCode, and is that -1 in the 6001 thing a bad thing?

The "-1" is nothing to worry about. It seems that the "set setup [FindOrCreateObject $db Setup /Setup]" must not be working... I have no idea why it is unable to create/set the fields within this entry.

gb20
30-06-2005, 08:13 AM
Another question, in playing around with add-whole-channel, it never worked previously, but I recently found that it works with 8 digit codes, just not the 7 digit ones. Is adding a leading zero (e.g. 07998001 instead of 7998001 for TV1) correct? The channels work on the TiVo, but my manual loadguide didn't load guide data.

Update: I commented out the following stuff in setheadend that seemed to be causing the trouble:

transaction {
set setup [FindOrCreateObject $db Setup /Setup]
#dbobj $setup set PostalCode $zip
#dbobj $setup set TimeZone 0
#dbobj $setup set DaylightSavingsPolicy 1
#dbobj $setup set Complete 1
#dbobj $setup set ServiceState 3
#dbobj $setup set ServiceStateExpiration 0And it worked. I got guide data working though a manual slice load from here (http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?t=583&highlight=nztivo.slice), but haven't got the 'forced call' to work yet - I've changed the IP address to 127::64.151.65.200:80::: (and later tried the original Australian IP) but the force call through tivoweb sits on "Preparing to call" for ages - Is there anything else that needs setting for this to work?

thomson
30-06-2005, 07:22 PM
Another question, in playing around with add-whole-channel, it never worked previously, but I recently found that it works with 8 digit codes, just not the 7 digit ones. Is adding a leading zero (e.g. 07998001 instead of 7998001 for TV1) correct? The channels work on the TiVo, but my manual loadguide didn't load guide data.
I actually think you probably need to reimage the TiVo from the CD and start again. Seems that there are some conflicts in the database.

I've changed the IP address to 127::64.151.65.200:80::: (and later tried the original Australian IP) but the force call through tivoweb sits on "Preparing to call" for ages - Is there anything else that needs setting for this to work?
I do not think the emulator is currently setup correctly for Free To Air (FTA) tuner setups. It essentially needs headends loaded on it and some PostalCodes uploaded. Currently the emulator only supports Sky and Saturn lineups.

If you wish to use a FTA tuner in your TiVo then you will need to manually load a headend and manually load (or use a LoadGuide script) the nztivo.slice files. If you have a Sky/Saturn Set Top Box (STB) then you should reimage attach to an emulator and follow the Guided Setup (GS) process.

gb20
02-07-2005, 09:07 AM
I actually think you probably need to reimage the TiVo from the CD and start again. Seems that there are some conflicts in the database.

I do not think the emulator is currently setup correctly for Free To Air (FTA) tuner setups. It essentially needs headends loaded on it and some PostalCodes uploaded. Currently the emulator only supports Sky and Saturn lineups.No offense, but the opposite ended up working for me - Reimaging gave the same database errors, but I was able to use guided setup + NZ emulator to get the FTA channels working with the PAL tuner. If it helps anyone setting up a TiVo in future:

It may be the case that in the current image (20050524), not everything is initialised properly without GS - I got those errors with PostalCode & stuff not being able to be setup with setheadend, and when I did have the channels working and manually loaded the nztivo.slice, it had the guide data when browsing the channels, but the Select Programs to Record thing was forever stuck on 'wait 4-8 hours' screen, and the TiVoWeb did have the channel with with program listings, but clicking on any program would give some error about noting having a 'cache_sp_key' or 'nowshowing_dir', and no option to record. In googling for these errors, most people said thing like "yeah, I re-ran guided steup and it worked after that".

So I ran guided setup (hoping stuff would get initialised, and I could run thomson's steps later). Selected Antenna source, 02113 zip code (normally Sky) and it did everything fine - added the channels, got guide data etc. After that I just had to use palmod_config to set channels 1-5 to the correct frequencies that are given earlier in this thread, and load up NoNag.slice.

Woo! TiVo works now! Thanks all.

Lurker
18-09-2005, 10:11 PM
OK I am stumped again

tried to GS again and it says service unavailable.

I have pointed at

NZ Emulator

127::210.48.107.133:80:::

and it says service unavailable and will not proceed through GS any further

any ideas

My aerial is poked and I get only TV2 on channel 6 and TV3 on channel 9 - yes I have looked at all the transmitter information and it shows they should not be on those channel in my area (west Auckland) and doing setheadend 6001 says command not found (but setheadend is in my var/hack)

gah! *bang head against wall* :eek:

do not want to reimage as I will lose all the programs I have recorded to date

watling
11-10-2005, 08:47 PM
I have used the palmod_config to set it to samsung/New Zealand, and then I went thru all 99 channels using the remote, and I only found 3 channels that would lock in. TV3, Shine, and Prime. I remapped those using the web channel thingy, but I realy want more channels. Is that table of possible frequencies not right/complete maybe, or do I have to use the fine tuning frequencies to find them.. and how to do I find out what frequencies the main broadcasters use here in Christchurch.

Peter.

watling
12-10-2005, 08:36 AM
I just saw in my log this when I boot.. maybe I need a nz version of ukchan30.o ???

- - -

Jan 1 00:01:45 (none) kernel: UK box, no need for PALmod
Jan 1 00:01:45 (none) kernel: We are using the Philips 7128 video encoder.
Jan 1 00:01:45 (none) kernel: pxmpegdecode configured in PAL mode.
Jan 1 00:01:45 (none) kernel: PX DECODE HYBRID: IBM CS22 initialization completed!
Jan 1 00:01:45 (none) kernel: MPEG: MPEG subsystem initialization completed
Jan 1 00:01:45 (none) kernel: MAJOR number = 78
Jan 1 00:01:45 (none) kernel: Warning: kernel-module version mismatch
Jan 1 00:01:45 (none) kernel: ^I/lib/modules/ukchan30.o was compiled for kernel version 2.1.24-TiVo.1
Jan 1 00:01:45 (none) kernel: ^Iwhile this kernel is version 2.1.24-TiVo-2.5
Jan 1 00:01:45 (none) kernel: palmod: patched at 0x81023504 with 0x48032b75 (was 0x4bfffd1d)
Jan 1 00:01:45 (none) kernel: ukchan installed

DJC
10-02-2006, 07:09 PM
I am looking for NZ based FTA headend emulator testers for the new emulator configuraion.

I am running sucessfully with a dual source FTA headend and Sky TV; but would like to test other configurations and locations.

It requires a clear and delete everything and a GS against the new system.

PM me if interested in helping.

/DJC