PDA

View Full Version : TV Out problem

RussellC
25-03-2006, 11:56 PM
Hi, Ive done the Tuner Mod (version 1) on my nice newly delivered TiVo, and ever since the Guided Setup, I've had a regular clicking noise accompanied by
a white horizontal bar in my RF out picture. About 5 per second I suppose.

If I use composite video + sound the picture is, well, picture perfect so I assume it's in the RF Modulator or its setup. Just to be certain, I've fiddled with palmod_config, changing tuner types etc. with little effect.

About the only thing I have not tried is a new guided setup, and I'll probably do that tomorrow if I can't think of anything else.

Is this a problem anyone else recognises? I've not found anything like this in the FAQs or Hints...

thanks,
RussellC

Darren King
26-03-2006, 09:20 AM
Yep I recognise this problem. Are you using a Samsung tuner or an ALPS branded tuner?

RussellC
26-03-2006, 06:29 PM
It's a Samsung...

Darren King
26-03-2006, 07:52 PM
Thought so, and unfortunately there is your problem. Samsung tuners cannot do RF out properly as the I2C clock signal to the RF section of the tuner resets it four times a second, which is what is creating the lines on the screen and the clicking.

You can use the Samsung tuner if you really want, but instead of the hard wire link between pins 5 and 11 you will need to install a momentary pushbutton switch (or similar) so that you can give the RF out section a brief squirt sometime during the bootup stage. Another way is a timer that allows the clock signal through for the first 30 seconds from power up and then no longer.

... or if none of that suits then swap the Samsung tuner for an ALPS one which do not suffer this problem.

RussellC
26-03-2006, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the information.

I was about to start checking 'round with the old CRO, but you've saved me a lot of time.

Knowing this, I'm sure I can come up with something..

RussellC