Thread: How to copy recorded programs from TiVo to PC

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Are you certain that your TiVo doesn't still have a MAK? The modification doesn't delete it but perhaps you have also replaced the HDD.

I posted a How-To transfer via a browser using the MAK (and how to find it) in this thread but I've not read anywhere that it can be done without one. I believe that the MAK is an encryption key for the recordings.

In that thread Darren posted a caution about backing-up to retain the MAK.

MAK no longer available

Quote Originally Posted by boritz View Post
    Are you certain that your TiVo doesn't still have a MAK? The modification doesn't delete it but perhaps you have also replaced the HDD.

I posted a How-To transfer via a browser using the MAK (and how to find it) in this thread but I've not read anywhere that it can be done without one. I believe that the MAK is an encryption key for the recordings.

In that thread Darren posted a caution about backing-up to retain the MAK.
    Hi boritz and thanks for the reply. I have checked the unit and there is no heading listed Media Access Key under "TiVo Central > Messages & Settings > Account & System Information". I have certainly not replaced the HDD. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by pauls02 View Post
    ... I have certainly not replaced the HDD. Any other suggestions? ...
    Unfortunately I don't have anything - except perhaps could a 'factory reset' or 'clear everything' wipe your MAK?

Thinking aloud - "I wonder if a backup from a TiVo with a MAK can be installed on any other TiVo, since licensing is no longer relevant?". I don't know if the MAK is keyed to the host hardware or not.

I don't have Tivos anymore - switched to using FetchTV Mightys.

Hi boritz, Thanks for your reply. I understand why you switched to Fetch as it is a simple matter to copy to program and watch recorded programs remotely. Still, I was thinking that with the oztivo software mods that there must be a way to transfer to the PC. Hopefully someone in the oztivo community will see this post and have some suggestions. Cheers.