Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to connect TIVO to existing setup?

Quote Originally Posted by petestrash
    .. using the TiVo remote and select Messages & Setup > System Reset > Clear and Delete Everything.

If you have a wierd software glitch, this may fix it without you having to re-install the image from scratch.

Peter
    Ok, I did that I'm getting the terms and services etc and can choose program source now.
    I had a slight problem with setup call, getting couldn't dial messages. I double checked all the info were correctly put in, make sure that tivo is getting ip - according to my dhcp log tivo got an ip, and I can putty'ed into it without any problem. Finally, I decided to restart the tivo, and it is connecting ok now. Currently, it's doing importing thing and left about 7mins left

Sounds like you are on your way. Well done!
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

Quote Originally Posted by Darren King
    Sounds like you are on your way. Well done!
    Yeah, so far so good. Without your and Peter help, I wouldn't be at this stage
    Now, I'm waiting for the guide to become available. I'm not sure why, black on tivo is not as clear as straight from my stb for the same channel.
    I'm no sure it's make sense or not - right now I can watch my optus on channel 1 and tivo is tuned to video2. When I'm on ch1 and switch to tivo on video2 - I can really see the difference in background color.

Anyway - I'm gonna rest for now Thanks to all.
    Last edited by fatty boy; 24-09-2005 at 01:40 AM.

Excellent. Not long to go.

Now, I'm waiting for the guide to become available.
    Should be fine by now. If you want to see if it is ready, go into TiVoWEB and click on the "Phone" tab. Look at "last call status" and see if it still says "loading data" or "indexing". If it says "succeeded" then you are done BUT you will still be in "maintenance mode" and you will notice the clock is probably wrong. Do a reboot and see if you still boot in "maintenance mode" (you probably will first time) and when the TiVo finishes booting to the menu do another reboot. This time instaed of it saying "maintenance mode" it should say "Starting Up....."

You're done.

I'm not sure why, black on tivo is not as clear as straight from my stb for the same channel. I'm no sure it's make sense or not - right now I can watch my optus on channel 1 and tivo is tuned to video2. When I'm on ch1 and switch to tivo on video2 - I can really see the difference in background color.
    Reason why is that the Optus signal is going through the TiVo and therefore being routed through the analogue to digital (mpeg encoding) circuitry, being written to the hard disk, being read from the hard disk and then being converted from digital (mpeg decoded) to analogue. Yes - even if you are not recording anything the TiVo is still writing a 30 munite live buffer which is why the TiVo can claim the title of "being able to pause & rewind live TV" that you might have heard it can do.

This however introduces a SMALL amount of loss of course. The other thing you can do is adjust the brightness, contrast, etc by accessing a telnet session from the TiVo via your network and typing at the command palmod_config and then following the prompts.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

Quote Originally Posted by Darren King
    Excellent. Not long to go.

Should be fine by now. If you want to see if it is ready, go into TiVoWEB and click on the "Phone" tab. Look at "last call status" and see if it still says "loading data" or "indexing". If it says "succeeded" then you are done BUT you will still be in "maintenance mode" and you will notice the clock is probably wrong. Do a reboot and see if you still boot in "maintenance mode" (you probably will first time) and when the TiVo finishes booting to the menu do another reboot. This time instaed of it saying "maintenance mode" it should say "Starting Up....."

You're done.
    Haha, yeah, I thought what ? the time is wrong It's all ok now.

Reason why is that the Optus signal is going through the TiVo and therefore being routed through the analogue to digital (mpeg encoding) circuitry, being written to the hard disk, being read from the hard disk and then being converted from digital (mpeg decoded) to analogue. Yes - even if you are not recording anything the TiVo is still writing a 30 munite live buffer which is why the TiVo can claim the title of "being able to pause & rewind live TV" that you might have heard it can do.

This however introduces a SMALL amount of loss of course. The other thing you can do is adjust the brightness, contrast, etc by accessing a telnet session from the TiVo via your network and typing at the command palmod_config and then following the prompts.
    Yeah, it's kinda make sense.
    thanks.

Ok, I've got some more problems. Overnight - my tivo is recording on it's on - not the one I scheduled. And the one it recorded are not on the channel I programmed, but the one currently playing, when I left.
    This morning I tried to get into tivo via web, couldn't get in, so I tried ftp, telnet same thing. It replied ping though, so definitely there is a connection. I turn on my tv and I can go into tivo by clicking tivo etc. Deleted the programs, press watch live tv - I've got live tv cannot be displayed or similar effect message, and ask me to check connection, directly connecting the source to tv, resetting the tivo etc.
    Check the connection, connected the source from the optus stb to tv directly , still doesn't work. And definitely, I haven't changed any connection and it was playing ok, it just suddently, just broke
    Now, I'm back to square one - I'm getting the same problem as in the beginning

This is the current status of pal/ntsc
    root=/dev/hda4 runideturbo=false TV_STD=PAL GS=0

This is the status after selecting set pal guided setup mode
    root=/dev/hda4 runideturbo=false TV_STD=PAL GS=1

I've expreineced a few times, that I cannot get into tivo via web/ftp/telnet. IIRC, it was a known problem that tivoweb stop functioning after a few days?
    Is that still the case?

Hopefully, I can sort this out, I promise one of my friends, I will record the cosmopolitan episode tonight

Update

Somehow, I restarted the whole process again. I thought, I was doing guided setup, but got the whole she bang. Anyway, I did, everything ok and waiting for the tivo to be ready again.

Anyone?

Ok, instead of rushing like last time, I'm taking time and start everything from the clear all data again.
    Now, I'm stuck at IR setup for my optus stb - according to the info from the stb it's General Instrument. But the guide is to make sure to choose the oztivo manufacturer. I tried all the xxxx oztivo and codes, nothing works.
    Does that mean I've to program my own IR for remote?

Quote Originally Posted by fatty boy
    according to the info from the stb it's General Instrument. But the guide is to make sure to choose the oztivo manufacturer. I tried all the xxxx oztivo and codes, nothing works.
    Does that mean I've to program my own IR for remote?
    There is no specific OzTiVo IR code for Optus. just scroll down and use the US General Instrument code #10006.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by petestrash
    There is no specific OzTiVo IR code for Optus. just scroll down and use the US General Instrument code #10006.

Peter.
    thanks Peter. It's the same one as I was using before. Seems I can't still change the channels using the tivo remote.
    The setup I have met the all requirement, though. Vidoe is connected - ok, infra red is mount ok etc.