Thread: change channels via Serial on FTA Satellite

change channels via Serial on FTA Satellite

I recently setup an FTA satellite reciever (Vistar 2000) I'm planning on rolling my own guide data here in the states for this, but first I need to get the Tivo to be able to change channels on the reciever. I have been unsuccessful in getting the the IR blasters to change any of my equipment. I would like to try the serial cable, as I have an rs232 port on the back of my reciever.

Does anybody know what I need to change the Componetcode to in order to enable the Serial -MPG without re-running guided setup?

Here are a few snapshots of my setup:

These are my two sources: the first on is my OTA rf tuner, the second is my FTA reciever.

Setup 13604/10 {
    Version = 18
    Source = 13604/12 13604/22
    IndexPath = /Setup
    }

Here is the stb source I added:
    SignalSource 13604/22 {
    ProviderName = {TiVo Composite Input}
    SignalType = 5
    Connector = 3
    VariableBitrate = 0
    RecieverNumDigits = 3
    TunerDigitDelay = 150
    UnattendedTunerDigitDelay = 800
    DBSRemoteMethod = 2
    Channel = 13604/23
    CableBoxCodeNum = 30067
    }

Again, I'm really hoping to avoid re-running guided setup if at all possible.

Thanks,
    Keln

DBSRemoteMethod = 2
    Try changing this to 'DBSRemoteMethod = 1' to enable the serial port.

If you have hacked your unit, you may need to disable some of the serial port related hacks to make it work.

I recently setup an FTA satellite reciever (Vistar 2000) I'm planning on rolling my own guide data here in the states for this,
    Beyond the above sort of assistance, you probably won't receive much help here bypassing the TiVo service in the US.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

change channels via Serial on FTA Satellite

I appreciate any help you can provide. So far changing the DBSRemoteMethod to 1 hasn't helped. Shouldn't their be a way to set whether we are using APG or MPG?

As far as "bypassing TIVO service" is concerned: When TIVO starts providing guide data for satellite service other than DISH or DIrectTV, then I'll consider the aurgument, until then I don't see how my satellite situation is any different than the AUS situation is, especially regarding "bypassing" TIVO service.

Also I'm not trying to leach off of your community, In fact after working with your IR wiki entry's, I plan on making some additions myself.

Again, thanks for any help that you can give.

Keln

Quote Originally Posted by kelnt
    As far as "bypassing TIVO service" is concerned: When TIVO starts providing guide data for satellite service other than DISH or DIrectTV, then I'll consider the aurgument, until then I don't see how my satellite situation is any different than the AUS situation is, especially regarding "bypassing" TIVO service.
    I assume things have not changed at TiVo, previously people who were using FTA satellite TV as their source and therefore not using Dish, directv or any other single provider would use a generic satellite headend and then just choose which FTA services they recieved. This was available for any service that Tribune Media Services had guide info for.

This was provided by a standard subscription or lifetime service, and was arranged over the phone through customer service using your unique tivo ID.

Going back to your original question:

I recently setup an FTA satellite reciever (Vistar 2000) ... I would like to try the serial cable, as I have an rs232 port on the back of my reciever.
    Are you sure there is the facility to control channel change via the RS-232 port. The Vistar 2000 is fairly basic unit, and I can only find reference to the port being used for software upgrades or copying setup between boxes.

Have you tried using http://anastasia.geomonkeys.com/irSliceCreator.zip on your TiVo to capture IR codes.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

I assume things have not changed at TiVo, previously people who were using FTA satellite TV as their source and therefore not using Dish, directv or any other single provider would use a generic satellite headend and then just choose which FTA services they recieved. This was available for any service that Tribune Media Services had guide info for.

This was provided by a standard subscription or lifetime service, and was arranged over the phone through customer service using your unique tivo ID.
    This is news to me. Even after reading this, I haven't been able find information about it. How do they deal with the ever changing channels on FTA statellite?

Are you sure there is the facility to control channel change via the RS-232 port. The Vistar 2000 is fairly basic unit, and I can only find reference to the port being used for software upgrades or copying setup between boxes.
    I am not sure All I have is a vaue description of a similair reciever, the VIStar 2000-IPPV: "RS-232 Interface for Remote Control and Data Service Applications" from http://sat-receiver-world.com/pd-1613977854.htm
    But even then "remote control may not mean what I thoght it meant.

Have you tried using http://anastasia.geomonkeys.com/irSliceCreator.zip on your TiVo to capture IR codes.
    Yes, it appears to be an awsome script for testing different frequency settings, and captureing codes. It looks like I may have to go back to trying to get the IR blasters working.
    I have been unable to get it to control any of my devices. I even installed a Omniremote on an old POS Palm m100 for determining the frequncy of my remote, but even with that I have been unsuccessful. Of course it went smoother after I uploaded irlock from the PowerIRTools package. http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/pub/Upl...RTools-0.1.zip
    Omniremote detected an IR signal from the IR Balsters and the Internal IR port, so I know it's sending a signal, I just can't get it right though. As I said I even tried caputing and controlling my TV, but was unseccessful. I think it is related to the frequency setting, but I am unsure.

Thanks for listening.
    Keln

P.S. Spell check would be a handy forum feature.

This is news to me. Even after reading this, I haven't been able find information about it. How do they deal with the ever changing channels on FTA statellite?
    Have you tried calling TiVo customer service and asking if this service is still available.

I am not sure All I have is a vaue description of a similair reciever, the VIStar 2000-IPPV: "RS-232 Interface for Remote Control and Data Service Applications" from http://sat-receiver-world.com/pd-1613977854.htm
    But even then "remote control may not mean what I thoght it meant.
    There is more than one Vistar 2000 model. The specs are a little different for each country, The most common one in the US is the FTA model which I assumed you had. The link you gave is for one of the European versions with built in CI slot, Nagravision decoder & Modem. This model can be controlled via the RS-232 port, but the FTA version cannot.

P.S. Spell check would be a handy forum feature.
    Agreed.

Peter.

Have you tried calling TiVo customer service and asking if this service is still available?
    Not yet. I am interested though, I assume I would even be able to use a Series 2 then I wanted to.

There is more than one Vistar 2000 model. The specs are a little different for each country, The most common one in the US is the FTA model which I assumed you had. The link you gave is for one of the European versions with built in CI slot, Nagravision decoder & Modem. This model can be controlled via the RS-232 port, but the FTA version cannot.
    I appreciate the clarification. At least I hadn't wiped out my TIVO trying to get it to work. I'll play more with the IR blaster now. I assume that even if I can get my guide data for my FTA stations from TIVO, that I still need to get my IR blasters to control my statellite reciever. I think the frequency is what is throwing me off. I don't trust the frequency that Omniremote is telling me. It would be cool if we had a script to determine the remote frequency using the TIVO IR receivers themselves. I wonder how the LIRC project approaches the issue. I'll have to go look.

Thanks,
    Keln

Man, you have a lot of TiVo's Pete!!

Obviously a TiVo addict?

Quote Originally Posted by zollymonsta
    Man, you have a lot of TiVo's Pete!!

Obviously a TiVo addict?
    Yes, TiVo & TV

We both often work shift work, so time shifting is really important for us. Without TiVo the main things on TV at 4am when we are wide awake are infomercials and sex line ads.

Also the FTA commercial stations here just refuse to keep to the scheduled times hoping to suck you into staying on their station. So if you have back to back recordings on different channels you invariably miss the end of the first recording if you use only one TiVo. So now I have just about one for each channel, and use the S2 as a backup for the most important shows (in case of a missed IR change or other problem).

Peter.

PS having a spare to play with also means you don't get in trouble if you can't get it going again in time for the other halfs' shows