I second that about the amount of Tivos coming in are attracting attention...

Also, here's an excerpt from the letter from Customs:
"All goods mailed into New Zealand are subject to GST and may also be subject to Import Duty. Import Entries for goods that have a value of $NZ100 or more are also subjec to an Import Transaction Fee of $18 (inc. GST)...."

Nothing there about 2nd hand goods being exempt, or the $400 thing either... although the shipping lable showed a value of $320US (for the 2 Tivos) compared to $245 for my first one.... so indeed the $400 limit could come into play. I think it's all a gamble depending on who's working that day! And the GST was cheaper than extra shipping (if getting 2!). But you can tell on the track and trace, if it says it's entered customs in NZ, then you should call straight away to get it cleared - cos the time delay is worse than the GST payment! Call NZ post on 0800 478 379, quote your USPS tracking code, to get your NZ Post "Entry Code". Then call customs on 0800 388 437 and quote the Entry Code (with your Creditcard handy) to have them released. They should arrive the next day...