Thread: How to copy recordings to PC

How to copy recordings to PC

Modded my friend's Tivo (series 3). All working fine, thanks to Darren and others and the support on this forum. But I suspect the HDD is acting up (occasional sticks on "Welcome" screen). I have a spare I can put in but he wants his recordings copied off if possible.

Tried TiVo Desktop and PyTivo on Win 10 PC, but we don't have a MAk. Can see the Tivo in TiVo Desktop but when "Pick recordings to transfer" gets an error "when try to retrieve data" (both transfer protocols).

Installed Mfs_Ftp (mfs_ftp.1.2.9p.tar.zip - much searching to find it): error "child process exited abnormally while executing"

Searched for hours but cannot find a solution.

So not sure what to do. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm reasonably good on PCs or Unix, so comfortable with either options.

Cheers...

I suggest pull out the HDD from the tivo and plug it into a Windows PC and run WinMFS (or maybe dvrBARS) to copy from that HDD to a new HDD.
    There is a little information about it in step 2 and step 4 of http://hd.oztivo.net/twiki/bin/view/...oKeepUsingTiVo

That will leave you with two HDDs, either of which you can plug back into the TiVo, the other HDD can be a backup.
    I'm assuming you don't actually need to access the recordings on the PC.
    Last edited by DavidKeegel; 23-02-2018 at 05:32 PM. Reason: clarify

Thanks David,

Yes he does. As I say "but he wants his recordings copied off if possible"

The rest is exactly as you say, thanks. I have used WinMFS a number of times, but unfortunately have not been able to find a way to copy the recordings.

Cheers...