I ran my TiVo with an 1 TB expander drive, and a couple of hundred shows accumulated over the years. Before applying the new software on the modded TiVo, I saved the shows to the PC using TiVo Desktop, as the expander drive needed to be disconnected. It was slow, but I have rescued all .tivo files. Once TiVo rebuilt itself without the expander drive, I backed up the internal 160 GB drive, transferred the image to the 1 TB expander drive (all using winmfs) and successfully patched the software. The TiVo is now up and running with the 1 TB drive, which is just fantastic.

The final step would be to copy the files from the PC back to the TiVo. Whilst I can transfer the shows one file at a time, it is obviously really tedious and slow, so I am looking for a better way to copy all files more quickly. I can access the TiVo drive via FTP (root), but I can't locate the folder holding the recordings. Any tips and instructions would be most welcome. Alternatively, would it be easier to use a Linux distro to access the TiVo drive? I tried Puppy Linux, but it can't see and mount the TiVo drive.

Many thanks for any advice.