Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tivo Home Networking issues

For cpab - try pytivo ... simple utility that advertises the PC folders you define to Tivo units ... has the MAK defined (not sure it really needs it) and no desktop plus key required

in regards to the MAK keys timing out - there were a few guys on the techo slack forum looking into it before xmas but no solution and not sure anyone is looking into this at the moment

bump bump .... any comments from tech leads? transferring between tivo's was a major feature used in our house and would be great to resolve if possible

I have same behaviour with our 2 TiVos on same network. They can see each other, but recordings are not listed. TiVo Desktop works fine on latest Win10 Pro. It was a useful feature, so hopefully there is an easy fix for it.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmc View Post
    For cpab - try pytivo ... simple utility that advertises the PC folders you define to Tivo units ... has the MAK defined (not sure it really needs it) and no desktop plus key required
    Thanks for that Andrew. I downloaded and installed pytivo on a windows 10 PC.
    It works well for transferring recordings from the Tivo to PC and they play good.
    I think the MAK is needed to unlock the tivo coding of the recording.
    I remember using browser transfer and I think the MAK was necessary to unlock the coding, otherwise it won't play on PC.

The only issue I have is that my transfers from PC to Tivo don't happen. The folders and files appear at the bottom of the playing list of the Tivo, but when I transfer, it says its in the To Do List, but its not.

Does yours work this way?

Quote Originally Posted by jesi View Post
    I have same behaviour with our 2 TiVos on same network. They can see each other, but recordings are not listed. TiVo Desktop works fine on latest Win10 Pro. It was a useful feature, so hopefully there is an easy fix for it.
    I haven't been able to get Tivo Desktop to work on any of my Windows 10 PCs, but it works fine on windows 7. How did you manage on Win 10 Pro, I think I have Win 10 Pro after free upgrade from Win 7 Pro. I'm puzzled; do you mean pytivo or Tivo Desktop working on Win 10?

hhhhmmmm .... I only use pytivo to transfer things from my Win10 pc to a tivo and it works fine ... never bothered with using it to move the other way and would need to 'investigate' how to do that one

think I am using an old version as I set all this up over 5 years ago now with no changes

Just to reinforce the Tivo Desktop software:
    Providing you have a MAK:
    It works fine on Windows 7.
    It enables transfers of recordings from Tivo to PC.

And:

Providing you have a Desktop Plus Key(DPK), it will also enable transfer of PC videos(MP4s and other main formats) from PC to Tivo.

I believe photos and music don't need a DPK.

As there is no mothership sign in for the DPK, a key that works will do. I can provide a key that works. If anyone wants a DPK that works, I can pm one.
    Last edited by cpab; 24-01-2018 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmc View Post
    hhhhmmmm .... I only use pytivo to transfer things from my Win10 pc to a tivo and it works fine ... never bothered with using it to move the other way and would need to 'investigate' how to do that one

think I am using an old version as I set all this up over 5 years ago now with no changes
    Sorry Andrew, I'm a bit confused now.

Windows 10 was only released mid to late 2015, just 2 years ago.

Was your original pytivo setup on Windows 7, before the free upgrade to Windows 10?

The problem seems to me to be Windows 10 security "build"(whatever they do to tighten security in the OS) does not allow some of the network transfers used by older software like Tivo Desktop and PyTivo.

Though your pytivo or Tivo Desktop appear the same, their connection to the Tivo is not fully enabled, so transfers cannot work.

Chris

Another affected user
    I had two of 3 Tivo's modded and all was wonderful, couldn't believe it. I didn't do the guided setup as I was not especially bothered by the incorrect time (Adelaide area). I could still transfer recordings between the Tivo's which was great because the ability to link the 2 Tivos is critical for me.
    As others have reported, recently things have changed, the Tivo's can still see each other but the names have been changed to DVR-XXXX and no recordings are listed. Is a solution likely? I really really do not want to buy a Fetch as I just love the Tivo, especially the ability to pause play on 2 channels.

Same here ...
    Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    ... Tivo's can still see each other but the names have been changed to DVR-XXXX and no recordings are listed ...
    MultiRoom viewing worked prior to modification and the TiVos still report the same MAK.
    [edit: I've run some random grep's for the "has no recordings" message text in files on the TiVo but (so far) haven't found it.]

I can list recordings on the TiVo via a PC browser login - user: tivo and password: <MAK>
    [edit: and I can download recordings to PC and play them - so the MAK decoding is working]

For me the loss of MultiRoom viewing is a potential TiVo killer.

I'm not whinging - just hope that a guru can solve the problem.
    Last edited by boritz; 02-03-2018 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Added [edit:]

Hi guys, appologies if this has been answered elsewhere. Just following on with this thread, any answers as to why we can see the other Tivo (DVR-xxxx) but we can't see the recordings?

Thanks, Ross