Thread: Are you having the same connection problems. (Failed while configuring) Error N18

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Are you having the same connection problems. (Failed while configuring) Error N18

Are you currently having the same problems with your TiVo connection as I'm experiencing?
    I live on the South Coast of NSW, about 160 kliks from Sydney.
    A month ago my TiVo EPG started running out.
    I did a restart. It didn't help. Then I noticed some info on the TiVo troubleshooting guide where you hold down a sequence of the remotes buttons. This seemed to fix the EPG.
    Then a week ago I noticed the EPG was again not updating with only 2 days of the EPG left.
    I went through the restart set up guide again. Now it gets to "TiVo has found a connection" but keeps stopping at (failed while configuring) with a message of Unrecoverable Error N18.
    The trouble shooting guide has info about N18. Alluding that router port problems maybe causing N18 by the ISP blocking ports and Firewalls blocking connection.
    As instructed I turned off my Windows Defender Firewall but it did sod all to fix the problem, and of course I straight away got told my PC was in mortal danger of enemy attack by nasty murderous zombie virus stuff if I didn't turn the Firewall back on!
    I don't understand this ''port'' stuff and can't even find out how to find those ''maybe'' blocked port things.
    On the TiVo trouble shooting guide it also says NOT to try and restart the Set Up Guide because the box will not let you watch your recorded programs. Which is what has happened.........Now I can't watch Tivo TV, or any of my recorded stuff.
    I'm bloody well 'n' truly pissed off. Especially after I tried ringing TiVo's Aussie franchise called Hybrid TV Services for help. Guess what folks,,,they've disconnected their only known phone line to their TiVo Community.
    Rotten Channel 7, who started all of the TiVo problems in Australia still gives out Hybrid's disconnected number of (02)89861700 if you ring their station for help. What a load of helpless useless crap!
    So, in December 2016, in this supposedly mind expanding, inspiringly innovative, techy wonder world, the only support for TiVo problems in Australia is a very creaky old form of excruciatingly slow back and forth email system of an undetermined number of days. And it's too bloody bad if you want some friggin help at the weekend.
    If our TiVo Network is gunna finally cark it completely at least these hidey heads at Hybrid should step up to the stump and give us the grist of things ahead.

I'm thinking about getting a Beyonwiz T4. It's claimed by some punters that the T4 has got a comparable Slow Motion Feature that's as good as TiVo.
    I've enjoyed TiVo's brilliant top class seamlessly flowing Slow Motion feature for 8 years.
    I naively thought all makes of PVR would have this fantastic function as has been told to me repeatedly by many retailers of PVR's.
    But, troofbeknown, over the past few years I've had to take back 4 well known PVR's for refunds.
    Namely, Humax, Panasonic, LG & Topfield.
    Gottem home. Settem up. And each one of them only had a terrible jerky, frame, pause, press again to next frame etc,,etc,, Pure load of rubbish.
    Definitely not Slow Motion
    I started asking all retail floories to connect up their PVR's to a TV. Then I'd record and watch the Slow Motion replay in store with them. Before set up they'd usually quote from the PVR Guide and nearly always claim the PVR they're trying to flog has as good a Slow Motion as what I'd tell them I've got with TiVo.
    And then they've all ended up looking sheepish and stupid because none of the PVR's had proper slow motion.
    I've not been hunting up PVR's for over a year. But although I've left tons of instructions with every retailer in my part of the known universe, that I'd buy any new PVR models, whatever the price, with a good Slow Motion function, not one shop has called or emailed me.

Let me know about any TiVo connection bizz problems that could be locally related that ya know about.
    Plus I'd dig to know of any real experience you've got about the Beyonwiz T4. Especially if you've seen its Slow Motion in action and how it stacks up alongside TiVo.

Fanx big heaps for your attention.
    Dig the TiVo Slo Mo

2. Hi Frozzysnots,
    I'm having the same N18 issue.
    Changed networks, switched from wireless to Ethernet, but still have the problem on my 2 TiVos. So it's not device or network specific.
    My last successful connection was Dec 21, but I didn't realise this until yesterday when the program guide ran out.
    Has your problem been resolved?

UPDATE:
    Without doing anything further, my problem has been resolved. One TiVo automatically connected and configured successfully at 11:37am. I manually initiated a connection for the second TiVo at 4:00pm and this too was successful. Unknown if the problem rests with my ISP who I use for both my home broadband and mobile internet connections.
    Last edited by Rogeo; 28-12-2016 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Update

3. Having the same problem here in NE Victoria since the 21st Dec 2016. (N18 configuration failed upon connection to Tivo service)(Wired network connection test ok)
    Never had a problem with this in the past. Although my Tivo & others i have spoken to said their Tivo had been randomly restarting itself a few weeks back but seems ok now.
    Since:
    *I have forwarded all the recommended ports from the Tivo website in my router & confirmed they are open.(Never had them in previously)
    *Assigned a static IP to my Tivo.
    *Did a complete power down, restart in my network gear & Tivo.

- I just called my folks to get them to check theirs - It amazingly connected straight away (wifi) whilst i was on the phone with no errors.
    Don't know whats going on. Maybe a port block at ISP end?

UPDATE:
    OK, i seem to have solved my N18 connection problem.
    Without changing anything on my current network configuration it seems my ISP has recently updated their list of ports blocked at their end. Within 2 minutes of switching off the port blocking at their end, specifically port 8080 mainly used for proxy services my Tivo connected & updated itself 100%.
    Last edited by Beavisbeaver; 28-12-2016 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Update

G'day Frozzysnots,

I've just enjoyed reading your post. I kinda feel the same.

We tried the Fetch from iiNet a few years ago, when it was offered for free trial. We thought we should try it against the Tivo. We sent it back after only a few days. I don't know if it's improved at all in recent years, but then it was no competition for the Tivo.
    2 years ago our Tivo packed up, so we went out and bought a Humax 4 Tune. Tried hard to get used to it, but again it was no match for a Tivo.
    Searching for something better, I read that Tivo in the USA hold many patents for the design and workings of the Tivo and this is why other manufacturers are unable to match it's features. I also read that the patents may be due to run out in 2018.
    This could mean that other manufacturers may soon be able to match the user interface and features of the Tivo.
    In my case, I looked for a secondhand Tivo and was lucky to find a chap refurbishing them i Perth.
    I bought a Tivo from him and he told me about Darren in Melbourne. Darren paid me for my old Tivo, so all in all, I got back the best TV viewing/recording interface on the market, for a very, very reasonable price.
    The Humax just sits there and does season passes for all the main shows, just in case there's too much on for the Tivo, but really it only gets a watch about once in 3 months.
    Don't know about the Beyonwiz T4, but from my experience and from others' reviews of most boxes out there, I'd say that it may be a Beyon fizz.

I've now had a Beyonwiz T4 for a few years and itz brilliant,,,,,,,,,it allows for the simultaneous recording of 12 programs spread over 4 networks and the the slo mo is neaerly as good as TIVO.
    The phone suopport is Australian. First class.

I'm a pc numb nut and have had let them fix any problems by remote command.
    I highly reccommend the Beyonwiz.
    Dig the TiVo Slo Mo