Thread: general oztivo hd hacking questions

general oztivo hd hacking questions

You know when you've Googled around for an hour or two, but still not found what you're looking for? But you're afraid to post on the internet in case someone tells you Google is your friend, or to search before posting. Well that's me.

So Ive got a series 1. I like tivoweb, endpad, 30 second skip, running cronjobs on the tivo and a few other niceties. Looking at TiVo HD in Aus I see to do anything smart, I need to re-prom it. Im OK with that, read up on it.

But what puzzles me is I dont see a ready supply of info on people who have seen the need to do this in Australia. Is that because the new TivO HD is so expensive no-one wants to risk breaking it? Or am I missing something here (like the right search string for my friend Google !) ? Or is the new TiVoHD just perfect in every respect (apart from price oh and the fact its no longer supported here)?

I mean wouldnt I want a TiVo HD not tied to channel 7, EPG as per the series 1, hacks and all, tivoweb ? THis is my first instinct in researching it (now Ive just bought an HD TV) ? I just know Im missing something here......
    -----------------------------------
    Always learning yet never an expert.

Sony SVR2000 + Seagate 320Gb OzTivi 1.6.2

Ok Google has been your friend.

To do anything software wise on a TiVo HD you do need to remove the PROM and replace it with a Hacked one. This is the main stumbling block for most people, as it is not a simple solder job.

Positives are, once you have access you can install a new kernel and add TiVoWeb, endpad, 30 sec skip and other hacks.

Negatives are:
    1. Hybrid will know you have a hacked unit and it is within their rights to stop supplying you EPG as you have broken their terms of use.
    2. Each time the software is updated by hybrid, you will need to make to adjustments to your TiVo.

There are quite a few hacked units out there, but generally only for people who are happy to invest the time in maintaining the units.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Thanks Peter, as usual (:-)) for your reply.

Im up for the prom mod, so thanks for the info on what it gives me, I was having to guess a little there. Am I missing a forum or website of people (in Aus) that have done this, and the software I need for it ? Or do we just follow what the US sites have ? It seems to be very quiet?

So if Hybrid stop supplying EPG (presumably this hasnt yet happened if there are Aus folks out there who have done this) is there a setup like that for the series 1 where EPG can be had ? Or is it a one shop stop and hence a permanent risk of "bricking" the TiVo (well, having to prom back to standard I guess ?

I suppose Id find these answers myself if I only had the Google is my Friend skills to find the right place to research the software and mods and how that interacts with Hybrid etc. It certainly seems a lot quieter than in the active days of OzTiVo series 1 hacking !

Colin
    -----------------------------------
    Always learning yet never an expert.

Sony SVR2000 + Seagate 320Gb OzTivi 1.6.2

Right now if Hybrid goes down (or they decide to stop supplying you EPG), your TiVo HD will become a useless brick about a month later regardless of which PROM is installed.

While we think we can provide guide slices to TiVo HD's, we have not worked out how to supply the Spigots to keep them running month to month. As far as I am aware, no one is currently working on this either.

It was decided by us for various reasons not to discuss anything to do with the details of Australian PROM hacking on public forums. I'll Pm you.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by petestrash View Post
    Right now if Hybrid goes down (or they decide to stop supplying you EPG), your TiVo HD will become a useless brick about a month later regardless of which PROM is installed.
    One point to note is that depending on who does the mod, some will fit the new PROM into a socket and return the original chip as well so theoretically with a little care extracting the modded PROM from the chip socket the original can be put back in.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

If it ever came to this, it would not matter which PROM was installed as the TiVo's TSN would be deactivated...

Pete.