Thread: Sound Lag when Changing Channels/ HELP!!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Sound Lag when Changing Channels/ HELP!!!

Hi, I have recently purchased a TIVO and had it for about 4 weeks. I do have to say that having used Topfield's boxes before the TIVO is the most user friendly and is a pleasure to use.

I have my TIVO connected directly to my 50 inch Full HD Panosonic Plasma via HDMI. I then have a Sony Reciever connected to the TIVO via optical Cable to run surround sound, and also a PS3 which is connected to my TV via HDMI

What I have noticed is when I am not using the reciever and just using the sound direct from my TV there is sometimes a sound lag when I change channel. So I will change channel, the picture will come on straight away and then the sound maybe 3-4 seconds later. It does not happen on all channels and does not happen all the time.

Also, for instance if I change channel and it happens, then I go to another channel and then back to channel that had the sound lag it wont happen.

Is this a normal thing and is it just sound signal trying to locate the correct format?

Please if someone could help would be much appreciated.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like the lag your TV needs to reformat when changing from HD to SD channels (or v-v).

If it annoys you you can change the output of the TiVo to be in a fixed aspect ratio so the TV does not need change modes.

I'm travelling away from home now, so cannot rememeber the exact menu you go to. but you need to select one of the fixed output ratios like 1080i so all content is displayed in 1080i.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Sound Lag

Thanks Peter.

I have already set the format to 1080i only however the sound lag still happens. I am completely stumped as to why. When I asked TIVO support they asked me to provide them with the diagnostic numbers, however they said my signal etc was fine. They advised me they would investigate further, however this was nearly two months ago.

Thanks
    John

I have just re-read your message and realised that our TV (Samsung LCD series 5) does the same thing. When you say sound lag do you actually mean the sound is muted for 3-4 seconds, rather than out of sync with the video? Ours mutes the sound, and my wife occasionally complains about it. We never really watch live TV, so it doesn't bother us.

TiVo Series3 TiVoHD x2

I agree with John, I had seen the sound muted for a couple of seconds when flipping channel. But not out of sync. The same occurs using a standard STB with HDMI connection.

But also like John said, I can't think of the last time I channel surfed or watched live TV using the TiVo. I alway just watch pre-recorded content.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Sound Lag

Hi Guys,

Thats exactly right, the sound is muted for 4-5 seconds then comes on. There seems to be no problem with the sync between the sound and picture.

The sound is only muted for brief period and then comes on. I was told at one stage it was my HDMI and to try a updated version however that did not work.

John

So what you have is normal for any STB connected via HDMI.

Peter.

So what you have is normal for any STB connected via HDMI.

Peter.