Thread: Best HD setup - who should do the scaling question

Best HD setup - who should do the scaling question

As I mentioned in another post, I have just received my new HD Tivo and will retire my S1 Tivo.

I currently have my tivo mated to my Denon AVR (has HDMI inputs), which is connected to my Fujitsu 42 inch Standard def plasma monitor. Given that, with HD signals, I will have to have either the tivo or the plasma re-scale the image for my basic SD screen of 720x480 is there any information as which would be the best machine to do this? And is there any other considerations I should take into account?

Thinking about it, I believe I had setup the S1 tivo to output somewhat for my wide screen but given it was PAL, some screen rescaling is still going on.

thanks for any info.

Justin
    Justin

TivoHD w/1tb "update"
    TiVo SVR2000 unit w/200Gb Seagate, Turbonetcard & Dlink-810 wireless bridge, FTA Strong STB. Latest image 1.6.###

This is really a subjective thing and only your eyes can tell what works best in your living room.

Some people can see the difference between interlaced and progressive scan, so they have the TiVo set to native or hybrid and let the TV do the scaling. Other say the TiVo does a better job at scaling than their TV.

I have a Full HD panel and leave the TiVo set in fixed 1080i. It stops the panel delay when changing resolutions and I cannot see a difference between 720p and 1080i on 720p content.

Your choices would be Native, 720p Hybrid, or 720p fixed. Try them all with a variety of source content an just see what you are happy with.

Peter
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

thanks Peter - I had thought it might be such. I will test each of the three setups (when my new drive arrives) and if there is (in my case) a clear winner, I will post and update. Given that I sit 3mts away from my plasma I suspect I will be hard pressed to see the diff (I suspect). Its funny, actually, while I can really currently notice the difference in picture sharpness between direct from my Strong STB using STB ->RGB-> Receiver ->DVI to Plasma, and my Tivo S1 -> SVideo -> Receiver -> Component -> Plasma, if I don't use my STB I really forget the difference. I am hoping the picture does become sharper with the HD Tivo.
    Justin

TivoHD w/1tb "update"
    TiVo SVR2000 unit w/200Gb Seagate, Turbonetcard & Dlink-810 wireless bridge, FTA Strong STB. Latest image 1.6.###