Thread: Problems with channels on Tivo....

Problems with channels on Tivo....

Hi Everyone, hopefully you can help me with my Tivo problem.

Sorry if this is hard to understand but I am hopeless at explaining this....

I bought my tivo about 2 months ago and it's been working fine. The other day my Dad bought a new wireless router so I had to change the network settings on my tivo and it connected to the network perfectly. Today it was recording Neighbours and the 7pm Project but it got disconnected from the internet and it only recorded the first 5 minutes. I got it connected again and the channels lost their signal. My sister checked her Tivo and all the channels worked fine.

Most of the channels are working now (occasionally picture goes all distorted) but now Channel 10, ONE HD & SD have got crackly sound and the the picture is all scrambled and it wont pick up SBS, SBS HD and SBS 2.

I've restarted it, unplugged it for a while, checked if all the plugs were secure, removed channel ten from the channel list and done channel scans and a whole heap of other stuff but nothing has worked. I've been through all the troubleshooting problems, been on the tivo support site, googled the problems but nothing helped.

Has anyone had problems like this before? I really need help.

Thanks.

From your description of the problems that sounds very much like an antenna problem and nothing to do with networking. Networking certainly would not cause the TiVo to suddenly stop recording programs mid way through, however a loss of antenna signal certainly will.

Maybe while installing the wireless networking you have by accident knocked the antenna cable, or just by coincidence the antenna cable has become faulty? Check that out and if possible while your Sister's TiVo is not doing any recordings of her programs swap the antenna cable and see if that helps. If not see if you can just quickly plug your TiVo in her room and see if the same problem happens.

As I said, this definitely sounds more like an antenna cable issue than something caused by altering a networking component.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

I agree with Darren.

The TiVo will record fine without any network connection. Are the 2 TiVo's you are comparing both in the same house and using the same antenna?

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!