Thread: Why activate?

Why activate?

Hi,
    Have just become the proud owner of a Tivo HD thanks to the kind folks at Qantas.
    Ripped out the hard drive and put in another before I even bothered to plug it in, without any hitches.
    Came with the wireless connector (doesn't pick up my network particularly well even though it's only two rooms away).
    Have Googled the activation question without much success. Just wondering why I should do it or why I should not?
    Can anyone offer some advice please?
    Thanks, Rev

Activation allows your TiVo to access the database that sets it up for the channels in your area and after that allows the download of guide data. If you don't wish to activate then at least you have a nice doorstop.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

But it is already up and running without activating.
    Has installed all the channels and has downloaded the EPG. Am I missing something?

It should not be working without activation.

Also you should not be able to use remote scheduling without activation.

Perhaps it has been pre-activated by Qantas? How did you get this unit?

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Well, given the imminent disconnection of my service in 7 days, I bowed to pressure and activated.
    What a disgusting, intrusive marketing exercise that was. All I bought was a bloody PVR to record TV and suddenly I'm being asked for my name, my address and my phone number and, by the way, would I like to receive calls from people trying to sell me other things.
    You have got to be joking!
    And, yes, they'll on-forward to other organisations who will also try to contact me and sell me even more things.
    DELETE! DELETE! DELETE!
    Call me cynical, but this is ridiculous.

Wow... what an emotional outpouring that was. I honestly have no idea what you feel a public forum that has no affiliation with HTS/TiVo Australia has to benefit from it but never mind I hope you feel all the better for your little tanty.

Maybe you can ask Qantas to swap the TiVo for a new tinfoil hat.
    Darren King

Quote Originally Posted by Darren King View Post
    Wow... what an emotional outpouring that was.
    Sorry.
    You believe it is okay to be put through that?
    Personally I can hardly wait for all the unsolicited phone calls and mail to start arriving.
    I can't think of any other product that I have bought and paid for that requires me to provide that sort of information just so that I may continue to receive the benefits of said same product.
    You can't be serious . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Revhead View Post
    You believe it is okay to be put through that?
    I had no complaints doing it, so I guess it was okay by me then.

Personally I can hardly wait for all the unsolicited phone calls and mail to start arriving.
    But as you pointed out above: "and, by the way, would I like to receive calls from people trying to sell me other things. " By which, as per your own admission, you have the option not to receive such if you so desire. And for that matter do you really think you had to provide a real phone number, address and the like? More fool you if indeed you are as paranoid as you make yourself out to be.

I can't think of any other product that I have bought and paid for that requires me to provide that sort of information just so that I may continue to receive the benefits of said same product.
    So you don't have any form of insurance? Don't have a loan? Don't have any bills in your name? Don't have a bank account? Somehow I think you would have at least one of these. Do you feel as paranoid about these products too?

Oh and by the way: I thought it was provided by Qantas. Why is it now you claim to have bought the device? And as such I am still wondering how you managed to have a TiVo that was able to be set up with channels and initial guide data before activation. I'm sorry but something does not add up with your account of events as you have explained them.

You can't be serious . . .
    Given your new adventure into TiVo I will excuse you, but rest assured longer standing members of the Community know that I am nothing but serious.
    Darren King