Thread: Tivo HD coming to NZ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    $699 is the RRP here. $650 is achievable almost anywhere. $600 is getting harder now. $699 or below with wireless included is also common.

When first released and Harvey Norman was the only place you could buy it, there were still deals to be had. This being due to each store operating as a franchise, so there was some discretion.

Do Telecom NZ only have company owned stores, or do they also have franchise stores?

Peter.

PS also worth noting Airmail to NZ is A$64.10 + insurance A$22.55 = A$86.55
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

have tivonz/telecom publish prices for the media access key?

Pete: whats the deal in aus? can you install tivo desktop and "upload" stuff to the tivo? (I have a *cough* rotating collection *wink* *wink* )

Also; I read I can plug in an external esata drive to increase capacity .. confirm/deny?

Cheers
    TA

Quote Originally Posted by TerminalAddict View Post
    have tivonz/telecom publish prices for the media access key?
    No, but I have requested this information from Telecom (via their website).

Also; I read I can plug in an external esata drive to increase capacity .. confirm/deny?
    If you buy the official one. Tidier and cheaper to upgrade the internal drive (might void your warranty though).

TiVo Series3 TiVoHD x2

Quote Originally Posted by Skolink View Post
    If you buy the official one. Tidier and cheaper to upgrade the internal drive (might void your warranty though).
    I assume Telecom will sell the WD/TiVo branded drive. The TiVo is programmed to only work with certain eSATA drives. Until TiVo is sold in NZ we will not know if the US or AU drives will work with it. The 500Gb US drive is not allowed to work with the AU TiVo HD (but 1Tb is).

If you replace the Prom on your TiVo, you can hack the software to allow other eSATA drives to be used.

But I agree with Skolink, upgrading the internal is a better and neater option.

Pete: whats the deal in aus? can you install tivo desktop and "upload" stuff to the tivo? (I have a *cough* rotating collection *wink* *wink* )
    In Aus if you buy the "Home Networking Package" you can use the TiVo as a media centre and playback your 'collection'. TiVo Desktop is not the best for this though, Streambaby is a better option.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Thanks for that .. took me all of 3 mins to get streambaby running on my debian box !

I found a pretty straight forward article on upgrading the drive. dd from one to another, then mfstools the bigger drive ... has anybody in aus tried something like the seagate 2tb?

Can't wait to try it .. I have approval for the purchase from she who must be obeyed as well

I found a pretty straight forward article on upgrading the drive. dd from one to another, then mfstools the bigger drive ... has anybody in aus tried something like the seagate 2tb?
    Not all mfstools work correctly with TiVo HD. The easiest upgrade path is using winmfs (for windows users) or mfslive cd (both from mfslive.org)which has the correct tools.

The current apple file system used by TiVo will not allow more then 1.3Gb (from memory). If the prom is hacked, and a custom kernel & file system used then 2Gb is possible.

Peter.