Thread: Tivo HD coming to NZ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Just reading though the TiVo Nz Faq's, I have seen some things that have been added since I was there last:

Can I use a TiVo media device from Australia/USA?

No, the TiVo media device has been specifically adapted for the New Zealand market.

By December 2010, all of the current Australian TiVo devices will receive a software update that allows them to work in both countries.

So it looks like early adopters are not going to be able to use an Australian TiVo.

What if I am not a Telecom customer? What do I get?

A non-Telecom broadband customer can buy a TiVo media device and they can enjoy all features of the TiVo except the broadband content and services.

Edit: So it looks like the extra broadband content is available only to Telecom customers.

This basic service includes the 14-day on-screen TV guide (Electronic Programme Guide), the ability to view the Freeview|HD® channels and core DVR features of the TiVo media device.

NZ is going get a 14-day EPG. This was also promised in Oz but became only 7-days a few months before release. I hope NZ is too close to release for this to be changed now.

Also in the HD area it says:

TiVo will receive the HD versions of TV ONE, TV2, and TV3, but please remember you need an HDMI cable (sold separately) connection between the TiVo and an HD Ready TV to receive a HD resolution picture.

This is not the case in Oz, HD signals can be watched via either Component or HDMI. I believe this is just a mistake on the website.

The website does have some details on the networking upgrade, but not price or release date. It also does not mention anywhere on the site the size of the Hard Drive or hours of recording the unit can do. Nor the availability of any expander drive.

Peter.
    Last edited by petestrash; 12-10-2009 at 02:10 PM.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!