G'day,

Im relatively new to TiVo, at what seems to me a confusing time. While the need to get a series 1 TiVo and hack it is clear when there is no Australian alternative, would I be right in concluding the reasons for purchasing a series 1 are less clear now that an Australian version is available ?

If Im correct the main issue would now be price - ie around $650 - $700 versus roughly $460 all up for an equivalent but used/unwarranted series 1 setup (by which I mean : approx : series 1 $50, postage $80, network card $80, digital set top box $100, 200G drive $150).

Of course to conclude this I need to decide some obvious fundamental differences are not important to me, like the inability to ad-skip, the fact the recorded data is encrypted, and the lack of advanced features (ie those promised for next year).

I also need to live with only being able to record one channel at a time.

I also need to ignore the subjective issues, such as ownership/control by Channel 7 (a subject definitely for other posts !!)

I also need to assume that the new TiVos either already have all the features offered by the OzTiVo image, or that they can be added in a similar manner (and I like to tinker !).

But if I assume all of the above, am I on the right track here ? Or if I get a series 1 for the sake of saving $200 will I regret it sometime soon ?

Im hoping there are some experienced OzTiVo users that can either set me straight or agree that I have it pretty much right, or alternately point me to the post I cant find anywhere that discusses this very issue in great detail !

Comments are most welcome please . . .