Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard Drive Space on Tivo

Hard Drive Space on Tivo

What's the best way to calculate how much drive space, will provide how long recording (in hours).

For example, how many hours at the highest quality would a 120gb Hard disk have?

The other query is, is it easy to add a second hard drive at a later stage without having to re-image the main drive?

ZollyMonsta

Hi There,

I dont know how to officially work out what a 120Gig hard disk would give you at highest quality but, I know that I can get 34 Hours out of my 80Gig hard disk.

So doing some simple sums you should be able to get around 50 hours

I'm sure people out there who have 120 gig Hard disks can let you know the actual figure...

Cheers,
    Fotski

120GB drive - example and addding 2nd drive

I have a 120GB drive. I have tweaked the TIVO so that it records at DVD resolution and a higher bit rate - (this is my default setting) - at this i get 38 hours of storage.

Prior to doing this it was showing about 41 hours.

If you have TIVOWEB there is some good info in there on this

In terms of adding a 2nd drive - no you will not need to reimage or lose any data.

Refer to the Hinsdale How-To for how to do this - it is straightforward and quick

I did this about 1 month ago with no dramas

regards

Craig

Hi Curto,

where is that how to located?

Cheers..

Thumbs up Drive Space

Quote Originally Posted by fotski
    I dont know how to officially work out what a 120Gig hard disk would give you at highest quality but, I know that I can get 34 Hours out of my 80Gig hard disk.

So doing some simple sums you should be able to get around 50 hours

I'm sure people out there who have 120 gig Hard disks can let you know the actual figure...
    The number of hours i can get out of my 200 Gig Drive, (which can be found under "Messages and Setup" then "My Preferences" and "Video Recording Quality") is as follows:
    • Best Quality: 67hrs 31mins
    • High Quality: 109hrs 36mins
    • Medium Quality: 145hrs 21mins
    • Basic Quality: 246hrs 1min

Cheers
    -Edwin

Lightbulb Hindsdale HowTo

Quote Originally Posted by zollymonsta
    Hi Curto,

Cheers..
    I have posted a topic just for links. One of them is the hindsdale howto. This link post is located: here. Moderators: Please feel free to add to it if you stumble across any more links.

Cheers
    -Edwin

Exclamation please read the FAQs before you post

Quote Originally Posted by zollymonsta
    Hi Curto,

Cheers..
    I know the link to the link was posted, & I know you're possibly a newbie - but you must learn how to use basic tools like Google and read the FAQs before posting questions like this in future.

FWIW - A 5 second Google for "hinsdale howto" would have returned your answer in short order - first link, Bingo.

The best motto to apply is "learn how to help yourself" - just about all the answers to any questions you can think of related to the Tivo are already out there - you just need to learn to make use of this existing information and please don't post "whats a?/where is?" type questions without first ensuring that there are no answers to all you seek in the FAQs already.

Lightbulb my 2c

Quote Originally Posted by number6
    I know the link to the link was posted, & I know you're possibly a newbie - but you must learn how to use basic tools like Google and read the FAQs before posting questions like this in future.
    <snip>
    Usually I do agree, however I created this board to help people who may not be able to find the answers to things. Not everyone is proficient in searching on google. So hopefully posting links be they easy to find or not, will help people on their way to using the TiVo in a way they need/want.
    Ex Tivo Owner.
    Philips Tivo
    Version 1.3 Emulator Image from Minnie
    200Gig Western Digital HDD
    No Turbonet or Cachecard
    Slices: Cable Digital FTA

Quote Originally Posted by tenty
    Usually I do agree, however I created this board to help people who may not be able to find the answers to things. Not everyone is proficient in searching on google. So hopefully posting links be they easy to find or not, will help people on their way to using the TiVo in a way they need/want.
    My only comment to this is that I also referred the poster to the FAQs not just Google, yes not everyone can use Google, but everyone who tries to post here should be reading ALL the FAQs - especially those in the FAQ forum BEFORE they post questions after all thats why its there right?
    My comment re: Google was to show how you can help yourself with the right tools.

If the answer people seek is in the FAQ, then thats one less post for anyone to answer. If not, well and good, lets get the answer in the FAQ ready for the next time its asked.

If you don't have a firm policy on getting folks to read the FAQs [and reading/searching earlier posts] before posting then these forums will quickly become overrun with "noise" as newer members ask the same old questions asked and answered previously in the FAQs, and the whole forum ends up in a real mess - I've seen lots of other forums go down that route.

The forums that don't end up like that, have a "read the FAQs and search the forums first" policy which is reasonably enforced.

Its a policy you might like to consider as well. Maybe you just need to add a sticky post at the top of these forums saying "read this post first" - then ask questions later. It might save your time answering the same questions over and over.

my 2 cents worth.

Hard drive space

[QUOTE=curto]I have a 120GB drive. I have tweaked the TIVO so that it records at DVD resolution and a higher bit rate - (this is my default setting) - at this i get 38 hours of storage.

Hi, if I may ask, how did you do the tweaking to acheive the dvd resolution?
    Mick.