Thread: Dead second drive

Unhappy Dead second drive

Well it started off with some playback problems and then the Tivo started to hang requiring a powering on/off to recover for a few weeks, finally GSOD and a constant reboot.

Pretty sure my swap file big enough (can't check now) and on pulling out the disks I have found that my second drive has failed, tried various tools/utils etc but they all fail and give me a warning that its on the way out so its into the bin.

Moving on, as the Tivo is out of service I have ordered another 300gb disk (same as the primary) and I believe I should be able to put both into a pc, do the mfsadd to marry the drives as I do normally and away I go.

I'm assuming its not an issue to do the mfsadd a second time to the primary (as I added the original failed second drive) and it will regig its allocations etc?

I should also be ok with the OS and hopefully will keep the shows, season passes etc that were on the primary drive?

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmc View Post
    Moving on, as the Tivo is out of service I have ordered another 300gb disk (same as the primary) and I believe I should be able to put both into a pc, do the mfsadd to marry the drives as I do normally and away I go.
    As long as it is not a Seagate 7200.9 or 7200.10 (as these do not work in a dual drive configuration)... but as you mention 300GB then I guess it is a Samsung or Western Digital.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmc View Post
    I'm assuming its not an issue to do the mfsadd a second time to the primary (as I added the original failed second drive) and it will regig its allocations etc?
    Hmm... it will be an interesting test... I can't remember it having been attempted in the past... you may end up having to reimage. You may have to try an un-marry the original drives... although if there was data on the second drive then the MFS database might get upset.

Would be a good idea to document the steps as it could help others if it works.

From past reports it will not work if the old 2nd drive is unreadable (though I may be out of date).

You can't even easily drop back to a single drive.

The simplest solution will be to re-image the new pairing.

All that said I do remember a few threads over on Dealdatabase where people had some measure of success, but it was a real effort, ugly process and was not stable. It might be enough to get some shows transferred though.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

update

Well no it didn't work, as it says on a lot of sites once the drives are married they stay that way. The mfsadd came up with a warning message and said it would 'do it anyway' which has stuffed up the partition tables when I try in the tivo.

End result is I downloaded the new image and re-installed with both drives, all great .... but thats my new post.