Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: no sound through my tivo

Yes I agree 100% with Peter on his above post.

If it is a hardware fault and you cannot get some form of satisfaction from the person you purchased it from I will offer my technical assistance if required. Contact me off list if you require assistance.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

Hi it was puchased on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....romZR40QQfviZ1

I have tried other input sources.

i will email the chap.

thanks troy

If you go back through your sellers history, you will see he bought something from Hobotech in January 2006. I believe all Hobotech sell on Ebay are TiVo's, so it could still be under warranty with them. See if your seller can provide a reciept.

Peter.

PS looking at his Ebay purchases he seems like an A/V nut, so it's quite possible he fried the input.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Yep I was thinking the same thing Peter. The Micronas chips that control the sound input terminals are a tad fragile to anything untoward hooked up to them and not the first time one has died because of this.

Good news is I have spares and can replace them easy enough. Troy has contacted me and I shall post a brief diagnosis for anyone who is interested what has gone wrong.
    Darren King

TiVo arrived early this week and I got some time the last couple of evenings to find the problem. It was not as simple as just a dead input sound processor chip, although that was indeed faulty. There was also a fault in the 8V power feed to this chip on the motherboard that powers the analogue input section of the chip. As to whether it is just bad luck, or the 8V power feed killing the chip, or something the seller did (either unknowingly or not) I am unsure as there is no clear cut evidence to support a theory on this.

But the good news it is fixed and in the recovery ward
    Darren King

Quote Originally Posted by Darren King View Post
    TiVo arrived early this week and I got some time the last couple of evenings to find the problem. It was not as simple as just a dead input sound processor chip, although that was indeed faulty. There was also a fault in the 8V power feed to this chip on the motherboard that powers the analogue input section of the chip. As to whether it is just bad luck, or the 8V power feed killing the chip, or something the seller did (either unknowingly or not) I am unsure as there is no clear cut evidence to support a theory on this.

But the good news it is fixed and in the recovery ward
    Would it be possible to point me in the physical direction of this chip? I am in USA and have the same problem. If you can tell me which pin I am looking for to test for 8V, that would be a great help too, although once you point me to the chip I can probably pull the schematics.

Thanks.

From memory the regulator is U62 and pin 5 is the 8v output. It is located near the fan connector.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!