Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Emulator available

Emulator available

Oh, I forgot to add, you'll probably want to set the time on the Tivo, set it to localtime:

settime [YYYYMMDDhhmm[ss]]
    settime -rtc

Should I switch?

Hi Ed, is there any advantage to switching to the emulator if I already have a Tivo up and running using loadguide?

Not really. With one major caveat.

If guide lineups change later (for instance back in Dec. the Hallmark channel morphed into the Disney channel), getting a headend slice update from the emulator basically changes this on the fly. By contrast, changing it via the command line versions can be sketchy. When I changed mine, it b0rked the hell out of the box, and I eventually had to do a clear/delete everything and start over from scratch (the thing got wildly unreliable, crashing 3-6 times daily). I now think this was because after modifying/deleting the Hallmark channel I still had references to it in the form of manual recordings in Now Showing and season passes, so perhaps using due care to remove these before modifying the channel would work. Others were able to morph the channels without issue (probably because they had no references to Hallmark in season passes or now showing). Anyway, point being that any updates to guide lineups are slick and easy (and preserve existing recordings) with the emulator, and can get ugly otherwise.

I suppose I'd say if you already have it running and accumlating season passes and such you're better off leaving it alone until such time as you need to do a clear/delete all(this is where I'm at for the moment-somewhat ironic to host the emulator yet use loadguide myself).

Also, I've no idea if/how loadguide performs under a dialup connection. This was part of the reason for setting it up; a mate just got his Tivo, and rather than do the manual setup on his I figured it was a good opportunity to try running the emulator. Also, since he's on dialup, I figured the built-in phone home capability with the emulator would be preferable to figuring out how to make it dial for loadguide. As a point of reference, the current configuration is a paradise dialup using the emulator, and it's working nicely so far (2 guide data slices loaded during the daily call process). I also was able to make a test call work with an ihug dialup. Since I'm sure somebody's gonna read this and ask about dialup, config info is found here.

I also found that the referenced ppp-options file (on the 1.3 image) did not function, I replaced it with this:

/dev/cua1
    crtscts
    debug
    kdebug 1
    asyncmap 0
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    defaultroute
    nodetach
    nodeflate
    Last edited by ehintz; 01-10-2004 at 06:26 AM.

Thanks Ed, well it sounds like the emulator is definitely going to be the preferred option for new setups, right now I've just got my Tivo running again after re-imaging to try and fix a bad video glitching problem so I think I won't fix what aint broke

Bruce

Smile

Words of wisdom, those...

Quote Originally Posted by ehintz

*snip*

Plug your tivo into the tv via the video out jack on the back. Reboot, run guided setup with the following options:

You'll see "TiVo Service Terms"

Press 'select' to go to next screen

"Program Source" Select Cable and press "Select"

"Zip Code" Enter 02113

"Time Zone" Doesn't matter.. just select the first one (Eastern) and press «Select'

"Daylight Savings" select "no" and press "select" butto

"Area Code" Enter 002 and press 'Select'

"Phone Dialing Options" select 'no : continue' and press 'select'

"Setup Call" Press select to go past this screen

It will take a while to connect and do it's thing.

Let it do its thing (go make a coffee or play quake for a bit)

When finished press 'select'

"Dial In Numbers" choose 'none of the above' and press 'select'

"No local Numbers" choose 'sales and marketing program' and press «select'

"Cable box" select yes and press 'select'

"Cable Providers" choose 'Sky Digital Auckland' and press 'select'

On the screen where it asks about how the box is connected, set to appropriate choice for your environment (either composite a/v in or s-video).

On cable box brand, you can try to see if yours is supported in the existing lists but it probably won't be. If it isn't just select some random one and let it go (I chose Motorola choice 1, 3 digit channel, no enter key, but any will do as you're going to replace it later anyway).

Let it do it's daily call bit for guide data.

*snip*
    ... and of course, don't forget to credit Tim's site where some of this information came from

Quote Originally Posted by zollymonsta
    ... and of course, don't forget to credit Tim's site where some of this information came from
    Heh. Or to be really anal, "grant", who provided it to Tim who provided it to me... Starting to sound like a Gilbert and Sullivan song...

I thought of just pointing to the faq, but figured it would be more confusing, since only the first bit remains the same, and then we branch off into bits not covered by the first one... But for full disclosure of credit, props to Tim/Grant, OzTivo, and TivoCanada (and of course Jaidev, who got his due up front for the headend slice, and jaidev/tim, who likewise got credit for guide data creation and supply).
    Last edited by tenty; 14-04-2004 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Fixed up OzTiVo URL as it had 2 lots of http://

Good on ya mate

"No video"

This is great Ed. I seem to have something wrong with my setup towards the end however -- the tivo says it can't detect my video signal. I've tried booting the Tivo in NTSC and PAL modes with the same result. I'm using composite video from a Motorola Sky box, which works fine when I plug it into my TV or video. The tivo however reckons there is no video signal.

I've searched around without seeing a similar report. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Tuatara
    This is great Ed. I seem to have something wrong with my setup towards the end however -- the tivo says it can't detect my video signal. I've tried booting the Tivo in NTSC and PAL modes with the same result. I'm using composite video from a Motorola Sky box, which works fine when I plug it into my TV or video. The tivo however reckons there is no video signal.

I've searched around without seeing a similar report. Any ideas?
    Not offhand... I'd try plugging other stuff into it to see if it picks up on that (DVD, VCR, whatever). If those work and Sky doesn't, maybe different cables or something. Regardless, it probably doesn't have anything to do with the emulator, just the Tivo's inputs(though you could test this by doing a manual install ala Tim's FAQ). Might try starting a thread with the same question if none of my suggestions work, others may have ideas.