PDA

View Full Version : How are you guys connecting to your TiVo?

creztor
02-02-2006, 10:00 AM
Ok well just got my little black box in yesterday. So far Ive learnt I should have got a network card or at least bought a pre-soldered serial cable :) How are you guys connecting to your TiVo? Ive soldered up my own, but obviously Im doing something wrong as no luck in connecting. Now just looking around for a premade cable in Aus or the Kodak cable, hopefully in QLD but oh well cant be picky as long as I can find one :) Checked the prices on the network adapters and I almost fell out of my seat :)

thomson
02-02-2006, 10:31 AM
Ok well just got my little black box in yesterday. So far Ive learnt I should have got a network card or at least bought a pre-soldered serial cable :) How are you guys connecting to your TiVo? Ive soldered up my own, but obviously Im doing something wrong as no luck in connecting. Now just looking around for a premade cable in Aus or the Kodak cable, hopefully in QLD but oh well cant be picky as long as I can find one :) Checked the prices on the network adapters and I almost fell out of my seat :)

A network card is definitely the easiest solution, although you should be able to sort out your existing (made) serial cable as a cheaper alternative. However if you do not have a network card then you will not have access to TivoWeb which is pretty handy... You will also need an ISP which supports the dial up mechanism used by the Tivo (assuming you wish to collect guide data over the internal modem... which may, or may not, be in a working state).

A network card will set you back about AU$80 (you check with Darren (http://www.members.westnet.com.au/kingey1971/tivo/contactme.htm) if you are interested).

Mick Molloy
02-02-2006, 10:48 AM
Where in QLD are you creztor:confused:

creztor
02-02-2006, 11:01 AM
Beerburrum, 30mins from Bris. Got my serial cable working now, might try PPP over serial again and see how I go. Altho I can see why a network card regardless of the cost is the way to go :) I am right in assuming that if I get serial over PPP working then it should be able to update daily/call daily etc? Or if possible can I just do the initial setup using the inbuilt modem (as long as my isp etc all works) and once the guided setup is finished, then just leave it disconnected? Not worried about not doing the daily calls if its not that important, but would obviously like to get it working if i can over serial PPP :) Annoys me I have a new toy I cant use yet :D

creztor
02-02-2006, 11:54 AM
Well the cable is fine, however PPP does not appear to be starting on the TiVo side even tho during the format/install of the hdd in my pc i selected ppp by serial. TiVo looks like its starting in bash mode because I dont even see it trying to do a PPP connection on bootup. Is there anyway I can check if its set to PPP by using the bash mode to login and check any config files?

petestrash
07-02-2006, 01:20 AM
Well the cable is fine, however PPP does not appear to be starting on the TiVo side even tho during the format/install of the hdd in my pc i selected ppp by serial. TiVo looks like its starting in bash mode because I dont even see it trying to do a PPP connection on bootup. Is there anyway I can check if its set to PPP by using the bash mode to login and check any config files?

I had similar issues on cartain PC's but never narrowed down the cause exactly.

look at the "PPP over serial does not start after loading a fresh image and selecting pppondss through the installer menu." section of KnownIssuesCurrentImageRelease (http://131.244.9.101/twiki/bin/view/Install/KnownIssuesCurrentImageRelease) to see if this helps.

Peter

zollymonsta
08-02-2006, 07:38 AM
I have a serial cable, but only use that if needed when I re-image.

Both my TiVos are connectable from anywhere with internet access.
They both go into my Linksys WRT54GS router which in turn is plugged into my cable modem. The router has port forwarding switched on so I can choose which tivo to connect to (and its all password protected).

Very handy if you're out of town then realise you have forgotten to set your tivo to record something.

:cool: