PDA

View Full Version : removing codes from the TiVo remote

zollymonsta
29-04-2004, 08:52 AM
Hi all

Im trying to trace problems I'm having with my TiVo remote, usually its the up arrow. Seems to have happened (well, from memory) since I entered codes into the remote to control my stereo and tv.

So, what I want to do is remove the codes (basically factory reset) the remote. I've removed the batteries for a min or so, but that doesn't work.
Does the remote require batteries to be removed overnight or something?
What method does the remote use to store the entered codes?

tenty
29-04-2004, 08:08 PM
Havent tested this but....

http://www.tivo.com/pdfs/IG-Chapter4.pdf

Resetting the Programmable Buttons
If you make a mistake, or are having difficulty, you can reset the programmable buttons. All the remote's buttons (including the DVR SWITCH) will return to the unprogrammed state of a new remote.
1. Prepare the remote control. Point the remote away from your DVR and cover the front end with your hand.
Press and hold the TV PWR button and TiVo button simultaneously until the red light at the end of the remote control comes on, remains steady, then stays on when you release the buttons.
2. Press THUMBS DOWN™ three times, then press ENTER. (To cancel, press CLEAR before you press ENTER.)

zollymonsta
30-04-2004, 03:14 PM
Thanks Tenty,

I think thats for a different TiVo remote. Mine is the classic peanut shape and has no DVR switch.

I've tried the key combination several times (TV Power and TiVo button) but the light never lights up continuously.

curto
01-05-2004, 09:43 AM
Grant,

I am pretty sure it is an overnight with no batteries job - i think i read this on DD at some tiime in the past

regards

Craig

zollymonsta
01-05-2004, 04:15 PM
Ahh thanks... I'll give it a go tonight. :)

tenty
02-05-2004, 09:40 PM
http://customersupport.tivo.com/tivoknowbase/root/public/tv1035.htm?

How Do I Perform a Code Search if None of the Codes for My Manufacturer Work? 01-39-01 Search Reference Number
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The below information should only be used if you have already attempted to program your remote control using TiVo setup and were unable to find the correct IR code. For information on programming your remote, go to How Do I Program My Remote to Control My TV or Stereo?

To perform a code search, perform the following steps:

1. Cover the end of the TiVo remote control with your hand.

2. Perform one or more of the following:

To search for a code to control TV Power and Volume: Hold down the TiVo and TV POWER buttons simultaneously until the red light on the remote control remains on.
To search for a code to control the INPUT button on your TV: Hold down the TiVo and TV INPUT buttons simultaneously until the red light on the remote control remains on.
To search for a code to control A/V Stereo Volume: Hold down the TiVo and MUTE buttons simultaneously until the red light on the remote control remains on.

The red light on the remote will illuminate until the code search is complete.

Edit: I would like to add that you have to press and hold the TiVo button and the TV Power button for at least 5 seconds before the lights stay on

3. Enter one or more of the following:

To search TV Power and Volume codes: Enter code 0999.
To search TV Input codes: Enter code 0999.
To search A/V Stereo codes: Enter code 1999.

After you enter the code, the red light will flash three times and then remain on.

4. Press CHANNEL UP once every two seconds. This will test hundreds of codes, one by one.

5. Perform one or more of the following:

TV Power and Volume: If you press CHANNEL UP and your TV turns off, press ENTER to select the code.
TV Input: If you press CHANNEL UP and your TV switches inputs, press ENTER to select the code.
A/V Stereo: If you press CHANNEL UP and the volume on your stereo is muted, press ENTER to select the code.

6.Perform one or more of the following:

TV Power and Volume: Press the TV POWER button on the remote control to test the code.
TV Input: Press the TV INPUT button on the remote control to test the code.
A/V Stereo: Press the VOLUME UP and then the VOLUME DOWN buttons on the remote control to test the code.

7. If you cycle through all the codes, the red LED will go off, indicating that you have tried all the codes.

If you went through this process and you do not find your code the first time, you might want to try the process a couple of times to make sure you did not skip over your code by going too fast. If you cannot find a code that will work, your brand of TV or stereo may not currently be supported.