PDA

View Full Version : Error in install instructions

Tony
26-08-2005, 07:32 PM
Hello all,

I believe I have identified an error in the install instructions for image version 1.4 that explains a couple of install problems newbies have been mentioning lately. This same issue exists in Ed's thread and on the nztivo site.

First, just on the website, a minor but potentially fatal problem for a profound newbie, they prescribe issuing "RW" to enable read/write. This infact must be lower-case to work.

Second, more seriously, the instructions refer to editing the /etc/tclient.conf file, editing the line with the Minnie emulator address to one of the NZ ones.

But in image 1.4, the minnie address is actually hashed out in this file by default, leaving two others active - "Dennis' Emulator" and "emuProxy2".

The correct procedure is to add a "#" character before these two emulator's addresses, take the "#" character out before Minnie's address, then change Minnie's address to one of the two NZ emulator addresses as described in the instructions.

If someone tries to follow the existing instructions and fails to notice the "#" issue, when they connect they are actually downloading from one of the Aussie emulators, meaning everything seems to work through Guided Setup, until you hit the wall near the end with the dreaded "No Cable Providers" error in a horrendous recursive loop.

Maybe this'll help someone...

Cheers,

Tony

PS: I was interested to see that the Aussies leave two emulators active in the file... does this imply that one could put BOTH the NZ addresses in, and create some redundancy in case of server problems?

DJC
26-08-2005, 09:32 PM
PS: I was interested to see that the Aussies leave two emulators active in the file... does this imply that one could put BOTH the NZ addresses in, and create some redundancy in case of server problems?

Can you post the unedited tclient.conf for reference. Keen to see the dual emulator lines.

petestrash
27-08-2005, 01:34 AM
# Dennis' Emulator
126::66.23.218.193:80:::
# This is for the server emulator on minnie. Trouble if your ISP blocks HTTP .9
#127::131.244.9.101:80:::

# This uses emuProxy2 to avoid problems with transparent proxy. Thanks Tim!
127::127.0.0.1:8000:::

You can use any number of three digit codes pointing to different emulators (as long as they are not duplicated).

Sure can :D, and you can change between them from either the UI or a telnet session.

From the UI go to the system information screen and scoll down till you see 'Dial-in Configuration Code'. then press clear-clear-enter-enter-0.

It should now be asking you to enter a new code just type in the three digit code for the emulator you want to use and press enter.

In telnet you just need to find your 'PhoneConfig' numbers and change 'DialConfig' to the correct emulator.

PhoneConfig 2276/10 {
Version = 1800
CallWaitingPrefix = {}
LocalAreaCode = 008
TollFreeNum = 0
DialInAreaCode = {}
DialInPrefix = {}
DialInNum = 1272240
CallStatusInfo = 6
DialConfig = 127
DialPrefix = ,#401
LastCallAttemptSecInDay = 1125072014
LastDialInUpdateDate = 13021
InventoryFile = {}
LastSuccessCallSecInDay = 1125072014
LastCallStatus = Succeeded
LastSuccessPgdCallSecInDay = 1125072014
NextCallAttemptSecInDay = 1125167031
IndexPath = /State/PhoneConfig

Peter.

Grant
28-08-2005, 03:03 PM
cheers Tony ... I've been there / done that when trying to do the upgrade and hit exactly that loop...at which time the upgrade got shelved... I suspected it was in that tclient.conf but the problem exceeded my attention span so just dropped the old drive back in for another day/week/month...

MrGadget
29-08-2005, 11:44 AM
I believe I have identified an error in the install instructions for image version 1.4 that explains a couple of install problems newbies have been mentioning lately.

Excellent stuff Tony - as the initial creator of that guide I must say 'my fault' to those. I have since edited the guide a little to reflect these.

Also, note that the NZTivo (http://www.nztivo.net/) site can be edited by anyone - so please feel free to correct any mistakes etc you may find - or add to existing topics.
Given I am only running a 1.3 images, perhaps you could review the revised instructions (http://www.nztivo.net/index.php/ImageWithScreenShots1.4) and make any adjustments you think are warranted.

Thanks again,
Neil

Lurker
30-08-2005, 09:11 AM
Been having daily over network problems says failed - no dial in number chosen - can ayone tell me where to find phoneconfig so I can check if that is all set up OK before I redo GS