PDA

View Full Version : Degraded Guide Data over time

Curry
26-07-2005, 01:12 PM
G'day All,

I am just about to start my 3rd guided setup in the last 4 months and this is due to the Guide Data being degraded over time. By this I mean that at first it works fine and data is correct, then slowly over time the displayed channel guide doesn't display the currently showing program on some channels (it displays the show at 12am). Then some channels show only "To be advised" and the eventual result is that all channels show "To be advised". This all takes place over about a one month period.

This has now happened to me twice and as I said I now about to perform a guided setup for the 3rd time. I am also certain that this problem with reappear with time, can anyone help me as to what is causing this?

I am using foxtel digital as the input source.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards

tenty
26-07-2005, 08:29 PM
I know this sounds silly, but it sounds like it could be a network problem.

I would check with Warren over on the mailing lists to see if your TiVo is actually calling home, and if so, then start travelling down the line and see where else the problem could lie.

One step at a time ;)

Cheers

petestrash
27-07-2005, 11:57 PM
This is an unusual fault, when it starts again, post some otclient logs after a daily call was made so we can see what occurs during the downloads.

Peter.

Curry
28-07-2005, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the input guys.

What you say about the network sounds likely. My Tivo was installed by someone else and I now learning to self support. The setup is via a wireless network that remains on all the time. On the wireless network is one desktop and the Tivo with a occasional visiting laptop. Twice I have had the situation where the IP to the Tivo has automatically changed but the Tivo has remained connected to the Internet via the wireless network at all times.

Can you confirm for me that if one daily call is unsuccessful that this will have a long term effect on the guide data? Or will the Tivo just pick up the lost data if a forced daily call is made?

Once again thanks for the help.

Regards

Curry.

zollymonsta
28-07-2005, 05:54 PM
Can you confirm for me that if one daily call is unsuccessful that this will have a long term effect on the guide data? Or will the Tivo just pick up the lost data if a forced daily call is made?

Once again thanks for the help.

Regards

Curry.

Yes, if daily calls are missed then there will be holes in the data/no data.

petestrash
28-07-2005, 11:58 PM
Yes, if daily calls are missed then there will be holes in the data/no data.

That's not actually the case with the OzTivo Emulator.

When your TiVo makes a call it discusses with the emulator which slices it has and also which slices have been changed since the last call. Then downloads the required slices.

You could happily run your TiVo making only a couple of calls a week without any holes in your data, but you would miss the benefit of the guide being updated as schedules change now that we produce daily slices.

Peter