PDA

View Full Version : TiVo "Auoplays" when I leave it....

oscarg
03-07-2005, 09:37 AM
Hi guys.

This is something that has always bugged me with the TiVo.
I would not call it a "bug", but it is just a weird form of behaviour I would like to change...

When I leave the TiVo on "Now Playing" and walk away to do something else, the TiVo will "get bored" and start playing after an amount of time(usually about 30 minutes). It may be a set amount of time, or just when the TiVo starts recording the next thing on its list - I'm not sure.

I have my TV plugged into the stereo, so it can be quite loud if I had been watching something quiet, and suddenly a really noisy ad starts blaring (WWE smackdown for example)

I would like it so when I leave the TiVo at "Now Playing", it will stay there, even if it starts recording something. If you leave a program "paused", it will stay like that forever, even if the TiVo starts recording another channel in the background.

I assume this is a setting somewhere, but I don't know.

Looking forward to your replys

Thanks

Oscar

catdog
03-07-2005, 09:58 AM
In TivoWeb:

Resource Editor->Constants->TimeoutToLiveTVSeconds

the default is 900 seconds on mine (1/4 hour), although I have no idea how large you can set this or if you can disable it from timing out.

thomson
03-07-2005, 11:51 AM
Resource Editor->Constants->TimeoutToLiveTVSeconds

There is a small application by JJBliss that will allow you to set, as well as disable, the timeout. It is called TCTimeOut (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29896&page=1&pp=15) and I have attached a version to this message.

oscarg
07-07-2005, 06:39 PM
I made the changes via the web interface and I have managed to get it to work.

I think the TiVo needs to be rebooted before it will work. It has been difficult for me to test, as it has been recording stuff and I have to wait around to see if the changes work or not.

ANYWAY I seem to have got there now. I will do further testing and let you all know how it goes. I am hoping that setting it to 0 will cause the feature to be switched off altogether.

Thanks to both posters for the speedy and consise answers (15minutes!) - WELL DONE AND THANKS =)

zollymonsta
08-07-2005, 07:40 AM
I hope you don't have a flash plasma display, else you'll get nice burn in if the menu is left on the screen for any long period of time. This is most likely why this 'feature' is there, to save expensive high end televisions.