PDA

View Full Version : No tivo suggestions

tonys
26-06-2005, 04:38 PM
My Tivo has stopped recording programmes of it's own accord! There's plenty of disc space, I've thumbs upped several programmes, recorded lots of others, but Tivo doesn't go off and record it's own suggestions, in fact it's not making any! It's also not finding future programmes, ie I have a season pass for 'Top Gear', when I looked for future episodes, it says there aren't any, even thogh I know there was one shown on the current guide data!
Maybe I've just got a bad batch of guide data? or something more sinister?
Maybe related, maybe not, my NoNag channel is showing 'to be announced' so I getting nagged to death, as I've only got 1 days guide data left.
anyone any ideas?

btw, OzTivo image 3.0v1.4
NZ emulator, no idea which one.

tenty
26-06-2005, 05:23 PM
Ok I can only see 2 possible explainations to this.....

Q1) you have no guide data?
A1) Make a daily call.

Q2) My TiVo can't see season passes and I've only updated it about an hour ago?
A2) The TiVo hasn't had time to index the information yet, despite seeing the guide data. Give it at least 12 hours, and it should be right as rain.

Anyone else have any suggestions? ;)

tonys
26-06-2005, 05:55 PM
Q1/2, I've had guide data for a good few days, problem's been there all that time. I think the Kiwi guide data is only updated 3 times a week (perhaps someone could confirm or deny) I had one daily call during the week that was recorded as 'failed during preparation of data' or something similar. Maybe that was the last updated slice and it was bad.

Darren King
26-06-2005, 07:39 PM
Actually I don't think this is a NZ specific or a Guide Data specific problem. I've got a TiVo in the bedroom I imaged with R1.4 (not the latest 20050524 but a little earlier) and it used to record a lot of suggestions up until a couple of weeks ago. Not sure why it has stopped as they were a mix of thumbs up and down so by rights it should still be making suggested recordings. But it isn't. Not had time to investigate - not that it would help as I'm not a software savvy person anyway :(

tonys
27-06-2005, 05:52 AM
Looks like it's more than a guide data issue. Got new data last night, no Tivo suggestions this morning, even if I try to search for programmes by title, nothing comes up, even after the first letter! Tivo not indexing the guide data? Is this a quirk of v1.4? If so, think I'll go back a version or two!

zollymonsta
27-06-2005, 10:02 AM
Check via tivoweb if your tivo clock is warped via tv.log

If you are getting errors such as 'your clock is warped, remarking in 300 seconds' then I think this can not only affect seasons passes, but also suggestions being recorded (something to do with the TiVo not indexing properly?)

More on it is here:

http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/FAQ/ProblemsAndSolutions

P: When I try to access "Pick programs to record" from Tivo Central, a black box appears saying "currently optimising program data, this will be available 4-8 hours from now".

P: If I try to schedule a recording, in the "season pass and other options" try to view "upcoming episodes" I am told "there are no upcoming episodes".

P: Season passes do not work when I set them up, the episodes of programs do not record

S: This may be caused by the tivo still indexing the guide data, if this is the case just wait 24 hours and try again. It also may be caused by the Tivo thinking the clock has not been synchronised. If you want to confirm this, telnet to tivo and run "grep warp /var/log/tvlog", you will see lines like:

Dec 16 10:15:22 (none) DbGc?[107]: DbGc?::HandleTriggerWhileIdle -- clock is warped -- re-marking in 300 seconds

To fix this, telnet to the Tivo, and either run "touch /var/timestamp", or "/hack/bin/fixtivotime" (the latter is useful if you have configured an ntp server).

If you are still unable to schedule season passes after this, telnet in and run "tivosh force_index.tcl"

S: Another trick to try is that if you see that the current time is wrong (type DATE at a bash prompt to check or simply look at the top of screen channel banner when you change channels) then go into TiVoWEB, force a daily call and then after you see the "Succeeded" message reboot the TiVo. Check that the time is now correct. This seems to help speed things up too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tonys
27-06-2005, 11:36 AM
Will have a look when I get home tonight, will I see the error message via Tivoweb? Not confident enough to start telneting into Tivo! I think the clock is right, certainly haven't noticed it being dramatically out of sync with 'realtime'

Darren King
27-06-2005, 02:20 PM
The clock being OK on the screen menus is nothing to do with the same clock running the "behind the scenes" stuff. This is what is meant by "clock is warped" or in other words both do not match.

Darren

tonys
28-06-2005, 05:50 AM
Sorted! Yes, I did have the 'warped clock' messages in the log, Tautara talked me through adding the timestamp file and forcing an index and all is well. Many thanks to all!As an aside, it seems very likely that the problem with tivo refusing to respond to the remote is caused by using the phone module of tivoweb. It only ever happens after I've used Tivoweb to force a daily call.

Pastos
28-06-2005, 07:55 AM
Hi

I had a similar problem in that I had no access to any menu items in "Pick programs to record". Found that my clock was warped as well. I have been forcing daily calls recently as we have shifted house and I have only just installed a permanent network connection. Running "touch /var/timestamp" did the trick. Thankyou. Tivo is running sweetly again