PDA

View Full Version : Getting the ozTivo UK 2.5.5 image to work in NZ

tarx
23-05-2005, 11:41 AM
Hi all,

I have been using the OzTivo R1.3 and R1.4 against the NZ emulator on my UK Tivo for a while now. I am interested in getting the UK 2.5.5 image running in NZ for the following reasons: improved stability, full PAL menus and RGB input and output via the scart sockets.

I spent a good few hours in the weekend try to get the following UK image up and running in NZ
ftp://minnie.tuhs.org/TiVo/images/pvr10uk.255.oztivo_emulator.release1.3beta

I got the image installed on the HD which involved burning a boot CD and adding the pvr10uk.255.oztivo_emulator.release1.3beta image to it and then using mfsrestore to load the image onto a test HD.

I got my Tivo networked (after configuration) to work with my TurboNet card.
I then thought sweet, I will try doing a guided setup with the NZ emulator.

I changed the tclient.conf and the AddrUK.itcl files to use the NZ emulator address. This is when things got a bit challenging. I entered the postcode 02115 (Saturn Cable), the Tivo dialled up via the TurboNet and successfully downloaded the settings and then I got the screen saying “No service providers in you area”.

Has anyone got the pvr10uk.255.oztivo_emulator.release1.3beta image to work with the NZ emulator or do they know if this is possible? Any info on this is appreciated.

I get the feeling from my research, that this might not be possible and they way to get 2.5.5 to work in NZ is to manually setup a source, add channels and then use loadguide (see following links). Can someone confirm if this is the case?

http://www.nztivo.net/index.php/Post_Setup for finding the source and adding channels manually
http://nztivo.kiwiwebhost.net.nz/uploads/add-all-Saturn-Channels
http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Redundant/UKHowTo255

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

thomson
23-05-2005, 05:48 PM
I was definitely under the impression that the emulator would not work with a v2.5.5 system. I would say that the (slightly) different MFS database layout is what causes problems.

The emulator does not do much other than automate the headend setup and EPG slice imports. Once you have setup your headend and setup a cron to download and import the slice things run pretty smoothly.

To speed things up for you, it would probably be handy if someone running an emulator could provide the Saturn headend slice. Then a simple script with a wget and dbload will sort out the rest.

There are a number of posts concerning how to do this, but feel free to post back on this thread any questions which you wish clarification on as I have been running a v2.5.5 system (without an emulator) for over a year now. I can't help much with the Saturn setup as I only use the (FTA) tuner, but can help out with just about everything else :)

tarx
24-05-2005, 07:48 PM
Thanks Thomson for your reply.

I have a couple of questions:

So is a headend file different to a add-whole-channel script (like shown below)?
tivosh add-whole-channel.tcl 7998001 1 TV1 "TV1" $1
tivosh add-whole-channel.tcl 7998002 2 TV2 "TV2" $1
tivosh add-whole-channel.tcl 7998003 3 TV3 "TV3" $1
The Saturn version can be found here http://nztivo.kiwiwebhost.net.nz/uploads/add-all-Saturn-Channels

For Saturn cable, via the scart socket using composite video, which Tivo Setup/Source should I use on a UK Tivo running 2.5.5?

If anyone else has any help that can get my UK Tivo running 2.5.5 ideally with the NZ emulator or using loadguide/dbload it is much appreciated.

I will do some more testing of my 2.5.5 setup attempt this weekend. This is the only downtime the Tivo gets - my wife cant live without it :).

Thanks

thomson
25-05-2005, 08:53 AM
So is a headend file different to a add-whole-channel script (like shown below)?
tivosh add-whole-channel.tcl 7998001 1 TV1 "TV1" $1
tivosh add-whole-channel.tcl 7998002 2 TV2 "TV2" $1
tivosh add-whole-channel.tcl 7998003 3 TV3 "TV3" $1
It would not be very different as long as the information in the script is correct/current. The suggestion to use a headend slice just means that you would be following the same process as a guided setup... and would mean that the channels would be linked to 02115 and would possibly contain some value-add fields. If you are unable to get a headend slice then the script is your next best option.

For Saturn cable, via the scart socket using composite video, which Tivo Setup/Source should I use on a UK Tivo running 2.5.5?
If you are talking about the 02115 stuff... then it does not really matter as this is only required for the emulator. I am using 6001 and other than modifying the postcodezones file for the timezone there seem to be no other dependencies.

If anyone else has any help that can get my UK Tivo running 2.5.5 ideally with the NZ emulator or using loadguide/dbload it is much appreciated.
There are a number of scripts that will download and install a slice. I have attached a sample LoadGuide.sh script which you may like to have a look at... you will need to alter it depending on what packages you have loaded (eg DNS enabled wget, etc). All you really need is two lines... one is a wget to retrieve the slice, and the other is a dbload25.tcl to install it... anything on top of this is icing on the cake :)