PDA

View Full Version : Motorola DTH335?

Tuatara
16-04-2005, 07:32 PM
Because my last TiVo fried, I bought another one which has just arrived and I'm getting it set up. It seems to work ok with the disk, TurboNet etc from my old TiVo but the Sky installer left me with a Motorola STB that doesn't seem to have a IR code file yet. According to a sticker on the bottom, it's a DTH335-4. (My previous STB was a Motorola DTH325-4, which certainly did work after setting the appropriate IR codes with the MotorolaDTH325-4.tcl file.)

Has anybody got one of these and managed to get it working?

I don't have a programmable remote so if I can't get this STB working I'll have to ask Sky to swap it. I'm probably going to try the new Oztivo image, too -- so any recommendations on which STB is the easiest to use with TiVo?

Can't wait to get this working again ...

Cheers
Matt

SeanOffShotgun
17-04-2005, 06:36 AM
Hi,

Read my post here:

http://www.forums.oztivo.net/showpost.php?p=1693&postcount=11

Sean.

EDIT: Sorry, I was too quick typing. Just reread your post, I recently setup some friends TiVo with (I think) the same model Motorola (it certainly was a newer model than mine - I'll check with them) and my instructions worked for that. Are you suggesting maybe that the IR receiver on the new decoder isn't quite up to it? Try putting both IR blasters in front of the decoder - one above and one below...
I used the new image for the friend's setup - it still doesn't have any good Motorola codes that I could find.

Darren King
17-04-2005, 07:35 AM
Because my last TiVo fried

Hey Matt. Ouch! What happened?

Tuatara
17-04-2005, 07:50 AM
Hey Matt. Ouch! What happened?

Hard to say when for those of us who are surely *not* soldering legends ;-).

The TiVo started to crash a bit -- once a week or so -- and then one day simply turned itself off and didn't come back on. There was no sign of life at all; no LED, no disk activity, no fan.

I corresponded with George who agreed it sounded like a failed power supply, but when I ordered and installed a replacement the machine remained dead. Seemed like a motherboard problem was most likely, so it seemed cheapest to order a new one. (I left it a few months, while moving houses -- thankfully I didn't leave until George had run out.)

There's a thread here: http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?t=430

At least now I have some spare parts!

The new model is an HDR312, so presumably it's "better" in some way (newer = better, right? Heh).

Cheers
Matt

Edit: Yeah, "fried" was probably a bit dramatic!

Tuatara
17-04-2005, 08:47 AM
Just reread your post, I recently setup some friends TiVo with (I think) the same model Motorola (it certainly was a newer model than mine - I'll check with them) and my instructions worked for that. Are you suggesting maybe that the IR receiver on the new decoder isn't quite up to it? Try putting both IR blasters in front of the decoder - one above and one below...
I used the new image for the friend's setup - it still doesn't have any good Motorola codes that I could find.

Thanks Sean. That's great that my STB should work with the Motorola 325-4 settings; but it's a pity I can't blame it when it isn't ;-).

The IR receiver is fine (it works with the Sky remote). I could try blaming the IR blaster, but I don't believe that's it (I've tried the new blaster cable and the old one). I've also tried putting both blasters in front of the STB.

I'm thinking it must be pebkac ;-). I had originally done something similar to you suggest in your URL, although I'd picked a different number (10042). When I just tried it your way, following it faithfully, I did not get the option to select IR 20001 in the Motorola section in the STB setup screen. I should, shouldn't I? (As you can tell, it's been a while since I've done this.)

Cheers
Matt

Darren King
17-04-2005, 02:20 PM
There was no sign of life at all; no LED, no disk activity, no fan.

Ah yes. I read your other thread (thanks for the link) and just the slight flickering on screen but no boot is usually dead parts in the memory department. Seen this before - and fixed it.

The new model is an HDR312, so presumably it's "better" in some way (newer = better, right? Heh).

Unfortunately no. The different number only indicates different hard disk size it originally had.

Cheers

Tuatara
17-04-2005, 02:31 PM
Ah yes. I read your other thread (thanks for the link) and just the slight flickering on screen but no boot is usually dead parts in the memory department. Seen this before - and fixed it.

Ah, sweet. I'll get this up new one up and running and then maybe set about getting the other fixed. Always wanted two TiVos ;-).

zollymonsta
17-04-2005, 03:17 PM
Ah, sweet. I'll get this up new one up and running and then maybe set about getting the other fixed. Always wanted two TiVos ;-).

It's always good to have two. :D

SeanOffShotgun
17-04-2005, 06:56 PM
I did not get the option to select IR 20001 in the Motorola section in the STB setup screen. I should, shouldn't I? (As you can tell, it's been a while since I've done this.)
Sorry, no you won't get that option, my linked post was lacking info in that area, grrr.
I should have said just pick any (because you are going to change it all later via the script). All irrelevant now, I think, having read the subsequent posts - I'm purely replying for completion.
PS: I know how you feel though, my motherboard died last year - George (thanks again) looked after me so well. I was lost without my TiVo.

Dave
03-05-2005, 06:09 PM

Hi, Can you confirm whether this did work with the MotorolaDTH325-4.tcl slice? I have been having a hack at this an cannot get it to work, wanted to confirm whther it is just me or whether it doesn't work, if the latter I might have a go at creating one using my PDA and pronto edit.

Cheers

David

Tuatara
05-05-2005, 09:40 AM
Hi, Can you confirm whether this did work with the MotorolaDTH325-4.tcl slice?

Sorry, David, I can't confirm either way -- I swapped it for a Pace (cop-out, I know). It wasn't working for me but it initially didn't work with the Pace, either, so I can't blame the Motorola.

Cheers,
Matt

SeanOffShotgun
05-05-2005, 10:30 AM
Hi, Can you confirm whether this did work with the MotorolaDTH325-4.tcl slice? I have been having a hack at this an cannot get it to work, wanted to confirm whther it is just me or whether it doesn't work, if the latter I might have a go at creating one using my PDA and pronto edit.

Cheers

David
David,

If you are asking whether the MotorolaDTH325-4.tcl file will have the TiVo control a Motorola DTH325-4 decoder, I believe it will because the .tcl was originally made to control exactly that model - hence the name of the file.
Though I used it for my MotorolaDTH320-4 decoder.

I have made some edits to my instructions post below (including the file attachment):

If that doesn't help feel free to post a reply or PM me.

Sean.

EDIT:

Bother, I've just reread the start of the thread and now assume you have a Motorola DTH335-4. It may still be worth trying again though.

Dave
05-05-2005, 07:29 PM
David,

If you are asking whether the MotorolaDTH325-4.tcl file will have the TiVo control a Motorola DTH325-4 decoder, I believe it will because the .tcl was originally made to control exactly that model - hence the name of the file.
Though I used it for my MotorolaDTH320-4 decoder.

I have made some edits to my instructions post below (including the file attachment):

If that doesn't help feel free to post a reply or PM me.

Sean.

EDIT:

Bother, I've just reread the start of the thread and now assume you have a Motorola DTH335-4. It may still be worth trying again though.

Thanks Sean, No problems running the script, I have a couple of issues though.

The first is that I don't have a Motorola DTH325, just a 335. I cannot confirm whether the hacks I have made have actually worked or whether the 335 and 325 use different codes.

I have gone through the IR database capture file on the OZtivo site and have attempted to capture the codes using the tivo, but without much success.

Was considering getting the PDA and loading pronto edit and having a go that way. will obviously have to try harder, (or just give up) will have to see. I can feel a divorce coming on, have had this thing since Monday and haven't done much else in the evenings...

Cheers

David

SeanOffShotgun
05-05-2005, 08:23 PM
Thanks Sean, No problems running the script, I have a couple of issues though.

The first is that I don't have a Motorola DTH325, just a 335. I cannot confirm whether the hacks I have made have actually worked or whether the 335 and 325 use different codes.

I have gone through the IR database capture file on the OZtivo site and have attempted to capture the codes using the tivo, but without much success.

Was considering getting the PDA and loading pronto edit and having a go that way. will obviously have to try harder, (or just give up) will have to see. I can feel a divorce coming on, have had this thing since Monday and haven't done much else in the evenings...

Cheers

David
OK, sometimes people have trouble with their IR Blasters, so can I assume for the moment that you set it up all correctly and lets just say that your model Motorola can handle the codes the TiVo is trying to send.

Assuming that you have a double ended IR Blaster, put one end above the Motorola's IR reciever and one end below it (pointing towards eachother) - and try that.

Otherwise, to confirm whether or not the .tcl and your Motorola are compatible you could get a remote that works with a 325 and point it at your 335 - if it works then the tcl should work.

So... where do you live? If it's not too personal a question - your profile says N/A :). Someone near you may volunteer their remote.

PS

Divorce... messy... just make sure you get to keep the TiVo.

Dave
08-05-2005, 06:08 AM
OK, sometimes people have trouble with their IR Blasters, so can I assume for the moment that you set it up all correctly and lets just say that your model Motorola can handle the codes the TiVo is trying to send.

Assuming that you have a double ended IR Blaster, put one end above the Motorola's IR reciever and one end below it (pointing towards eachother) - and try that.

Otherwise, to confirm whether or not the .tcl and your Motorola are compatible you could get a remote that works with a 325 and point it at your 335 - if it works then the tcl should work.

So... where do you live? If it's not too personal a question - your profile says N/A :). Someone near you may volunteer their remote.

PS

Divorce... messy... just make sure you get to keep the TiVo.

Thanks Sean,

I have had a good play with this, I have checked the IR blaster using the Video camera, I have gone through all of the Motorola codes preloaded into the Tivo, One of them triggers the LED on the Sky box.

I tried to capture the codes using the Tivo without much success. I already had Pronto edit loaded so I gave that a try. My PDA learnt the codes fine, ran them through the IR generator here: http://www.pixoo.net/tivo_ir.php. Ended up in endless reboot mode. reimaged tried again, no crashes this time. The problems I have are:

1) All of the sample TCL files on the Oztivo website use a CableBoxCodeNum in the 30000's, none of the codes in this range work for me, get "can't open object (errDbNotFound)"

2) If I use a code in the lower regions i.e. 10032 as in the Motorola DTH325 file, this works, any other code such as 10034 also work, but when I try to dbset 2274/12 CableBoxCodeNum 10034

can't open object (errTmBackgroundHoldoff)

while executing
"db $db openidconstruction $fsid $subobjid"
(procedure "OpenObject" line 5)
invoked from within
"OpenObject $db $obj"
invoked from within
"transaction {
set x [OpenObject $db $obj]
dbobj $x set $attr $val
}"
(file "/hack/bin/dbset" line 22)

I can only get this to work using CableBoxCodeNum 10032, but this is the code used by one of the existing Motorola and I'm not sure whether it just isn't updating the database.

Is there any way of viewing the database to confirm what code is in there?

Any ideas?

Thanks

David

BTW Profile is now updated

rapier
09-05-2005, 05:49 AM
Not sure if this will help but I ended up having to do the STB IR Code setup last night on mine again. I am using the MotorolaDTH325-4.tcl but had the problem that the CableBoxCodeNum defined in the .tcl file is set to 10023 which did not work with my US-version Tivo 1.

I edited the file and changed the CableBoxNum from 10023 to 10001 in the following line:

set tivoir [db $db open /Component/Ir/TivoFormat/10023]

I then just followed the instructions on the followin NZTivo page:
http://www.nztivo.net/index.php/STB_IRcodes

Just make sure that you run the command and take note of its output:

% dumpobj 2274

I found that mine outputted 2274/17 and not 2274/12 as on the webpage. I was using 2274/12 and got the error you mentioned above until I realised my error and used 2274/17 and it was go from there

Hope this helps

I have also attached the .tcl file I used

SeanOffShotgun
09-05-2005, 10:06 AM
Dave,

As Rapier (and my instructions) says 2272/12 is only an example - you have to look for your FsId value corresponding to the line where Name = 'Setup', and then do the dumpobj on that number to get the NNNN/NN value. So hopefully that is your problem.

Hold off on that divorce, and let us know if this makes a difference to you.

Sean.

Dave
09-05-2005, 07:54 PM
Not sure if this will help but I ended up having to do the STB IR Code setup last night on mine again. I am using the MotorolaDTH325-4.tcl but had the problem that the CableBoxCodeNum defined in the .tcl file is set to 10023 which did not work with my US-version Tivo 1.

I edited the file and changed the CableBoxNum from 10023 to 10001 in the following line:

set tivoir [db $db open /Component/Ir/TivoFormat/10023]

I then just followed the instructions on the followin NZTivo page:
http://www.nztivo.net/index.php/STB_IRcodes

Just make sure that you run the command and take note of its output:

% dumpobj 2274

I found that mine outputted 2274/17 and not 2274/12 as on the webpage. I was using 2274/12 and got the error you mentioned above until I realised my error and used 2274/17 and it was go from there

Hope this helps

I have also attached the .tcl file I used

Sorry Guys, tried again with both the file you generated and one I have tried to generate with my PDA.

% Setup 2274/10 {
IndexPath = /Setup
Source = 2274/12
Version = 46

This is why I'm using 2274/12.

I have managed to get the temporary use of a Pace which of course works.
I can see why it was so tempting for the others to get the pace. have been switching between the codes using dbset, (Obviously this part works) It has to be the tcl files I might see if I can get my hands on a Palm and have a go with that.

The message LED is sometimes activated by the tivo remote, but nothing from the IR balster. The IR Frequency of the DTH325 is 38Khz, the code I'm getting from my PDA is 48Khz, unless the software I'm using is converting it incorrectly.

BTW, Rapier, what is your STB DTH335 or 325?

Thanks

David

rapier
10-05-2005, 06:22 AM
Not sure will have to check. I just used the one I mentioned above

Tuatara
10-05-2005, 07:29 AM
I have managed to get the temporary use of a Pace which of course works.
I can see why it was so tempting for the others to get the pace.

I can't definitely say that the existing Motorola script didn't work for the 335, but I had no difficulty using the script with a 325 last year. If it's causing you grief you might find it's easiest just to ask Sky to swap it out for a Pace unit. Unfortunately, they insist a technician visits so it'll cost $30 but it might be worth it for peace of mind and a straightforward setup.

FWIW, the reason I can't say definitively that the script doesn't work is that by the time I got the Pace it didn't work either -- I'd unwittingly overwritten the IR code that the Pace uses (it was the code used in one of the howtos somewhere; if I were setting up a Motorola again, I'd use 10042, which is already a Motorola code). Not knowing how to restore the original IR codes I ended up doing a reimage.

Anyway, I just wanted to point out that you can swap the STB relatively easily.

Cheers
Matt

UncleArthur
19-05-2005, 10:46 AM
Hi Guys - Just wondering whether anyone managed to get a Motorola DTH335 STB working? I seem to be having the same sort of problems Dave has had - the DTH325 tcl file doesn't seem to work for some reason.

I must admit I am a newbie to Tivo (just brought one back from a trip to the states) and have had luck getting it all going, daily call OK via cachecard etc but can't get the Tivo to change channels on the STB.

I am a bit confused as to what to set the CableBoxCodeNum to - the tcl file on the NZTivo site has it set as 88887 which brings up an error when the script is run - so I edited it and have tried 10001, 20001, 10023 with no luck...

Anyone have any good idea's? Tivo is busy recording plenty of shows - but mostly garbage as the channel is wrong!

PS I actually brought back a few extra Tivo's & remotes if anyone is interested...

Cheers,

Leon

thomson
19-05-2005, 11:03 AM
Hi Guys - Just wondering whether anyone managed to get a Motorola DTH335 STB working?
You may like to try and create your own custom slice. Brad has done quite a bit of work creating a tool to streamline the process. Here is the latest version of his IR Slice Creator (http://anastasia.geomonkeys.com/irSliceCreator.zip).

sadrake
20-06-2005, 07:47 AM
I too have just set up my Tivo and have the Motorola DTH335 I tried to use irSliceCreator.sh but found it to be buggie - after capturing each digit I would have to reboot the Tivo to be able to capture the next or to try and find the frequency.

I have been able to capture the IR codes using the alternative method but i can't seem to find the right frequency, I have tried from 30khz to 67kh in 1khz increments to no avail. One thing that gets me is that the Tivo can see the codes but can't tell you what frequency it is on. Using irSliceCreator I could set it to any frequency and capture the codes it didn't seam to make a difference??.

The motorola DTH335 has a RS232 port on the back, has anyone tried to use the serial cable to change the channels on the STB, I have the cable and would give it a try but I dont know which of the listed STB's have serial control codes... One would hope that it is a standardised RS232 implementation.

sadrake
20-06-2005, 08:49 AM
More info, I have found this which may help in figuring out how to control this mofo STB.

Hopefully someone knows how to convert this into a format we can use for the Tivo.

Just realised this is for a 355 not a 335 :mad:

http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/motorola/DTH355

# this config file was automatically generated
# using lirc-0.7.0(mceusb) on Mon Apr 18 20:45:28 2005
#
# contributed by Derek Watson
#
# brand: Motorola
# model no. of remote control: Sky TV
# devices being controlled by this remote: Motorola DTH-355
# Sky Digital (NZ)

begin remote

name Motorola_DTH355
bits 16
flags SPACE_ENC|CONST_LENGTH
eps 30
aeps 100

header 9107 4419
one 660 1587
zero 660 466
ptrail 652
repeat 9108 2176
pre_data_bits 16
pre_data 0x61F4
gap 95123
toggle_bit 0

begin codes
power 0x00000000000058A7
1 0x00000000000040BF
2 0x000000000000C837
3 0x00000000000030CF
4 0x0000000000006897
5 0x00000000000028D7
6 0x000000000000E817
7 0x00000000000018E7
8 0x000000000000B04F
9 0x0000000000009867
0 0x000000000000708F
mute 0x00000000000050AF
guide 0x00000000000039C6
tv 0x00000000000041BE
interactive 0x000000000000C936
up 0x000000000000D12E
down 0x0000000000008976
left 0x00000000000011EE
right 0x000000000000B946
ok 0x00000000000008F7
plus 0x000000000000A857
question 0x000000000000F10E
back 0x000000000000619E
volup 0x00000000000048B7
voldown 0x000000000000D827
chanup 0x000000000000E01F
chandown 0x000000000000807F
red 0x000000000000F807
green 0x0000000000007887
yellow 0x00000000000020DF
blue 0x000000000000906F
end codes

end remote

sadrake
20-06-2005, 11:59 AM
I spoke one of the senior techies at Sky and they informed me that they have been having no end of trouble with the 335, Customers that cant get learning remotes to learn the codes for the 335, or customers with Media Center PC's. This is the only one that they don't have the code file for.

They offered to swap out the decoder for one of the others that work for $29.95

However they did mention that they are going to upgrade the software on the DTH335 to fix the bugs in about two weeks time.... It will depend if the bug fixes address the issue we are having with the IR codes.

sdan
17-07-2005, 04:41 AM
Sadly I too have been given a Motorola 335 as my Pace died in a power surge and I am having no luck with the ir codes.
Has anyone got this working?
Also if I admit defeat and swap for a Pace box does rerunning guided setup delete my programme recordings?
Cheers
brian

Darren King
17-07-2005, 07:55 AM
Also if I admit defeat and swap for a Pace box does rerunning guided setup delete my programme recordings?

No your recordings are preserved.

nOsSi
29-10-2005, 01:57 PM
I'm currently in possession of three Motorola STB's - the DTH335, DTH325 and DTH310 and two remotes (for the the 335 and 325 only).

Interestingly the remotes appear to be identical in their IR codes, i.e. both the 335 and 325 remotes will control all three STB's.

TiVo however (using the Motorola325-4.tcl IR file) will only control the DTH325 and the DTH310. TiVo refuses to change channels on the DTH335.

My suspicion is that the problem is one of two things...
- either the codes in the Motorola325-4.tcl IR file are slightly off - the DTH325 and DTH310 don't care and recognise them but the DTH335 is just being fussy, OR
- the IR receiver in the DTH335 is fussy and insensitive.

I actually suspect the problem is the DTH335 IR receiver because I had to play around moving the IR transmitter I have in the cupboard where the STB is (beams IR signals from my lounge) to get the Sky remotes to change channel on the DTH335.

Given the above I'm just going to swap the DTH335 for a Pace unit.

aklobem
12-11-2005, 09:43 PM
Hi all,

I've just got one of the DTH335 Motorola STBs. I've been trying to get my tivo to control it.

To date I've managed to confirm that the carrier frequency of the sky remote is 39200. I've double checked this with OmniRemote and a Vantage IR learner.

I created the tivosh script as per instructions and set the db to reference the new IR set. I can't seem to capture any IR output from the tivo back to the STB though. Has anyone else struck this??? My next steps are to try a different blaster cable set ... any thoughts??

sadrake
22-11-2005, 05:06 PM
I have the fix for you.

First unplug the DTH335
Second throw it out the window. (will save you alot of time and effort)
Call Sky and ask for a pace.

Be happy.

I tried for a month to get the 335 working with the Tivo and got no where, Sky even said that they had customers that couldn't even get learning remotes to learn the codes and control the 335. I threw in the towel and swapped out for a pace decoder for $25. They work with the factory pace settings allready in the Tivo.