PDA

View Full Version : Telnet Access to Tivo

medkraft
22-03-2005, 06:47 PM
I've got an external D-Link DWL-810+ ethernet bridge connected via a cachecard to my tivo. In one case it appears to be setup correctly as it made the call during setup and downloaded the data (I was able to see the channel guide data after restart).

On the other hand, while I'm able to see the router when I ping the IP address of the ethernet bridge I haven't been able to telnet or ping oztivo or connect via telent to the IP address. I keep getting the following message when I try to access Tivo via Telnet:

Could not open a connection to host on port 23 : Connection Failed

I assume it's due to the router settings. I'm just not sure what I need to change in the Netgear FM114P Router to make it work.

Your assistance is appreciated.... Tom

blackers
22-03-2005, 08:54 PM
it may be because you're using telnet under windows xp. telnet does not work properly. use hyperterminal (under accessories/communications) instead.

medkraft
22-03-2005, 11:33 PM
Unfortunately, hyper Terminal gives me the same results.

Cheers... Tom

tcn33
23-03-2005, 12:00 PM
The same thing gave me trouble at first.

Your bridge and your TiVo will have separate IP addresses - for instance, my bridge is at 192.168.0.202 but my TiVo is currently at 192.168.0.4 - are you attempting to telnet to the right IP address?

zollymonsta
23-03-2005, 12:08 PM
You want 'putty' for telnet.. not hyperterminal.

Hyperterminal is for via the serial port connection

blackers
23-03-2005, 02:45 PM
Either hyperterminal or putty should work. Make sure you tick the TCP/IP box on the hyperterminal connection screen.

As tcm notes, you may be looking at the wrong IP address. My Netgear bridge becomes invisible when connected - the network only sees the Tivo. The Tivo IP address is in the message that gets delivered to the Tivo each time it reboots. Or you can scan for it using IPScan.

A third possibility is that the Tivo or TivoWeb has crashed for some reason. This has happened to me a couple of times - usually the Tivo stops responding to the remote, but it is also possible that something has just shut down TivoWeb. Try the old reboot of the Tivo.

I would say check your router and bridge configuration but if it is making calls sucessfully its unlikely there are any problems there.

As a last resort you could try dragging your Tivo into your study and connecting it directly to your router and seeing whether you can access it then. It won't solve your problem but may tell you whether the problem is with the Tivo or the bridge.

medkraft
23-03-2005, 09:18 PM
A third possibility is that the Tivo or TivoWeb has crashed for some reason. This has happened to me a couple of times - usually the Tivo stops responding to the remote, but it is also possible that something has just shut down TivoWeb. Try the old reboot of the Tivo.

I'm starting to believe this may be the case as I can no longer get the Tivo to go through Guided Setup. Each time I try to Repeat Guided Setup from the System Reset screen, I get dumped back the Tivo Central screen (I see the Welcome to Tivo screen but the next time I press Select I end up at the green Tivo Central screen).

Cheers.... Tom

Darren King
23-03-2005, 10:59 PM
I'm starting to believe this may be the case as I can no longer get the Tivo to go through Guided Setup. Each time I try to Repeat Guided Setup from the System Reset screen, I get dumped back the Tivo Central screen (I see the Welcome to Tivo screen but the next time I press Select I end up at the green Tivo Central screen).

Totally unrelated to your problem and furthermore this is normal for ALL TiVo's not in "maintenance mode". To repeat Guided Setup you have to first go into TiVoWEB, switch to NTSC/PAL GS Mode, reboot and then do what you describe above.

medkraft
25-03-2005, 04:14 PM
Thanks again Darren.

The second go around with setup was a bit more successful. I only have once channel but at least it's working. Of course I'll to sort out the channel issue b/w the Tivo and VCR. If I don't have any luck this weekend I may just send it your way to install the PAL tuner.

With the telnet issue, I was finnaly able to connect after reconfiguring my router. I'm still not sure what I did to fix it, but at least I can access the Tivo via Telnet and TivoWeb.

Now on to the channel issue.

Thanks... Tom

Darren King
25-03-2005, 08:59 PM
Sounds like you are making progress. Slow, but in the right direction!

One channel is a good start. Sounds like you have to work out how to get the TiVo to communicate to the VCR with the IR Blaster. Can't realy help there as I've never tried to get VCR's working with TiVo as naturally mine have PAL tuners in them.

Don't forget to check the new link in my signature for pretty much all you need to know about the PAL tuner install procedure and costs. It's only just come online and wasn't there 24 hours ago.

Darren