PDA

View Full Version : Daylight Saving this weekend

Wanted
18-03-2005, 11:49 AM
If you are slack like me, remember to change the TiVo clock this Sunday morning back an hour.

SeanOffShotgun
18-03-2005, 11:57 AM
Or you could implement this 'Daylight Savings Adjustment'.

http://www.forums.oztivo.net/showpost.php?p=2184&postcount=4

If you do it manually you might miss some Super 12 Rugby like Sharks vs Highlanders in the middle of the night, or whatever else tickles your fancy.

Wanted
18-03-2005, 12:02 PM
That's why it's only for us slackers. :rolleyes:

SeanOffShotgun
18-03-2005, 12:04 PM
Ahh yes <light switches on>, sorry.

zollymonsta
18-03-2005, 04:16 PM
That's why it's only for us slackers. :rolleyes:

That will be me.. a manual process.,.. 'cos I'm a slacker and a procrastinator all rolled into one. :rolleyes:

MrGadget
20-03-2005, 08:58 AM
:-( I had the script
http://www.forums.oztivo.net/showpo...184&postcount=4
all set up for Daylight savings but alas it failed me... The time was still an hour out and the log files shows:

/bin/sh: /var/hack/DST/Daylight_Savings.sh: Permission denied

Anyone else failed/worked ? Any idea why the above ?

thomson
20-03-2005, 09:18 AM
The time was still an hour out and the log files shows:

The problem will be that the script was not marked as an executable. When you load any executable file or shell script onto a Linux system you need to make sure that it has been marked as an executable using something like:

chmod 755 Daylight_Savings.sh

MrGadget
20-03-2005, 09:21 AM
Gee, now I feel stupid :-) Thanks.

rapier
21-03-2005, 06:11 AM
I was wondering how many people have had issues with the daylight savings this past weekend?

My Tivo automatically adjusted itself without any issues. I think this might be a result of me setting the time zone to Pacific/Auckland.

SeanOffShotgun
21-03-2005, 06:20 AM
I was wondering how many people have had issues with the daylight savings this past weekend?

My Tivo automatically adjusted itself without any issues. I think this might be a result of me setting the time zone to Pacific/Auckland.
More than likely your TiVo has the standard image's entry in the crontab which runs fixtime.cron at 2:10am every day.

So it may seem that things went according to plan but for the purist that isn't exactly how a daylight savings change happens.

You might have a problem if you were recording a programme over the 'change period' - unlikely I know, but I did say "for the purist". :)

Wanted
21-03-2005, 07:45 AM

Well I had trouble. As we have established i'm a slacker but I did try what Thomson said here http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?t=267&page=3&highlight=quick+installation on Saturday night (the quick install for NZ part). On Sunday morning it didn't seem to work so I ran this again manually:

TZ=pacific/Auckland rdate –vs 207.126.98.204

and that changed the time to the correct one. I must confess I don't understand the way it is supposed to work. Does the "-vs" switch add it to a list of things to run regularly or something?

TerminalAddict
21-03-2005, 08:16 AM
I forced a daily call on sunday, which freaked out my tivo.
4 minutes later after a reboot .. all was well :)

zollymonsta
21-03-2005, 11:19 AM
I note the latest Oztivo iso contains all the timezone files (Pacific/Auckland)
included.

You just need to add the correct postcode zone in an appropriate line
to your postcodezones file.

Ie:

02115 Pacific/Auckland

Then if you run

fixtivotime (which you'll need to copy off your old TiVo iso as its not on the latest) it will connect to a time server and correct your TiVo clock to NZST. :)

thomson
21-03-2005, 12:38 PM
On Sunday morning it didn't seem to work so I ran this again manually:

TZ=pacific/Auckland rdate –vs 207.126.98.204

and that changed the time to the correct one. I must confess I don't understand the way it is supposed to work. Does the "-vs" switch add it to a list of things to run regularly or something?

If you just run rdate by itself (with no arguments) then you will get the usage information. Essentially the '-v' option means verbose logging, so it will tell you what it is doing, and the '-s' option tells it to actually set the time of the system, otherwise it will just display the collected time.

Wanted
22-03-2005, 09:19 AM
So it sets the time correctly from a time server which is great, but is it supposed to auto-correct when daylight savings starts or ends?

thomson
22-03-2005, 09:49 AM
So it sets the time correctly from a time server which is great, but is it supposed to auto-correct when daylight savings starts or ends?

The system will not autocorrect as we are running in GMT which does not have Daylight Saving. There are a couple of options... they both involve cron. If you do not have a full time Internet connection then you can use this script (http://www.forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?p=2184#post2184) to correct for Daylight Saving at the appropriate time, otherwise if you know that the Internet connection (and NTP server) will be up at the time then you can set the time of the TiVo from an NTP system using rdate or the fix_time script (scheduled via cron).

The rdate (http://www.forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?p=2295&#post2295) command was mainly created to correct the problem a lot of people had with DOS CR's in the postcodezones file.