PDA

View Full Version : couple of questions...

tcn33
09-03-2005, 04:39 PM
Hi all,

I've just bought a TiVo from eBay (this one, in fact: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5755667355) and it's on its way along with a remote from George. A couple of quick questions I couldn't find the answers to:

1. My current setup doesn't allow for guide data at all - I have no phone outlets convenient, my computer is at the other end of the house, no wireless network (yet). Will the TiVo work just fine without it, and more to the point will it do so straight out of the box, ie without the OzTiVo image?

2. Once I get the wireless network set up in a couple of weeks, I'm guessing I'll need the cache card as well as the 802.11b Wireless Ethernet Adapter from eksys.com - is this correct?

zollymonsta
09-03-2005, 06:51 PM
> Hi all,

Hello!

>I've just bought a TiVo from eBay (this one, in fact: >http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...item=5755667355) and it's on its way >along with a remote from George. A couple of quick questions I couldn't find >the answers to:

I notice that it's supplied with a power cord only (not much use for Australia/NZ). Before you can get started, you're going to need at least a remote control and IR blaster (available from George at Eksys) and also a serial cable to be able to configure it via telnet from your pc. These are minimum really.

>1. My current setup doesn't allow for guide data at all - I have no phone >outlets convenient, my computer is at the other end of the house, no >wireless network (yet). Will the TiVo work just fine without it, and more to >the point will it do so straight out of the box, ie without the OzTiVo image?

I doubt it will run straight out of the box, in fact, no it wont. The image on the drive will be the original USA image (NTSC). You'll need to load the Oztivo image onto the drive to get PAL tv standard out of it, plus to get it working over this side of the world.

The TiVo needs a daily call to keep it happy, otherwise it will grizzle (and most likely stop working altogether). This can be done by adding a command to the crontab file to 'touch' a certain file once a day. I can't remember offhand what the command is (I'm now running off the NZ emulator) but will have a hunt for the details for you.

You'll also need to load a nonag file to stop it from nagging you about lack of guide data (is there one for aussie?) I take it you will be using it with a set top box for PayTV or similar (you don't mention this).

Of course, until you have a network card (unless you can get the serial connection to your PC to work for connecting to the emulator) probably need to use the internal modem to run guided setup (and connect to the emulator) first time.

>2. Once I get the wireless network set up in a couple of weeks, I'm guessing >I'll need the cache card as well as the 802.11b Wireless Ethernet Adapter >from eksys.com - is this correct?

You should only need one or the other.

Cache Card is a network card (wired) with slots for additional memory

The 802.11b Wireless Ethernet Adapter (airnet) is a wireless network card.

They're both network cards. The only difference being the CacheCard allows you to add extra memory to speed up the menus on Tivo (Particuarly the Now Showing Menu).

Downside of a wireless network card is with extracting video files off the tivo to your PC will be slower than a wired network card.

George appears to only get Airnets in now when ordered so there could be a delay with an order for an airnet card.

I hope this has helped a bit ;)

tcn33
10-03-2005, 04:47 AM
>I doubt it will run straight out of the box, in fact, no it wont. The image on >the drive will be the original USA image (NTSC). You'll need to load the >Oztivo image onto the drive to get PAL tv standard out of it, plus to get it >working over this side of the world.

Even if my TV can handle NTSC?

>The TiVo needs a daily call to keep it happy, otherwise it will grizzle (and >most likely stop working altogether). This can be done by adding a >command to the crontab file to 'touch' a certain file once a day. I can't >remember offhand what the command is (I'm now running off the NZ >emulator) but will have a hunt for the details for you.

>You'll also need to load a nonag file to stop it from nagging you about lack >of guide data (is there one for aussie?) I take it you will be using it with a >set top box for PayTV or similar (you don't mention this).

Sorry, yes - I'm running Foxtel Digital.

I know the S1 boxes can be used in the U.S without the TiVo service - you just get the nag all the time. My plan was just to use it as a "dumb" recorder - run the cable signal through it simply to use the pause and record functions, without the TiVo knowing what channel it is etc. So this wouldn't work?

I can see that having no knowledge of linux is something I'll have to change real soon :o

zollymonsta
10-03-2005, 10:53 AM
Yep, even if your TV handles NTSC.

Without the OZTivo image being loaded, the TiVO will be expecting an NTSC signal via the A/V jacks on the back. The OzTiVo image changes this so that the TiVo knows to expect PAL format.

It should run fine as a 'dumb recorder' with the OzTiVo image loaded. But you will still need to have the A/V set up (and probably at least one channel so the TiVo has a channel to record).

It's easy to pick up.. Trial and error mate. ;) I have no linux experience myself but have my TiVos humming along pretty nicely.

Darren King
11-03-2005, 07:43 AM
A USA TiVo running OzTiVo image will work fine as a "dumb recorder" without guide data. I have one not on the network and it works no problem. Yes you get a nag message but you can still change channels and manual record no worries.

Of course the only snag here is that when you first load on the OzTiVo image to your hard disk and turn on the TiVo it will run "Guided Setup" mode. For this you need some form of network connection otherwise you won't get far. If this is a problem I can image the drive and set it up for your locale ready for use if you simply pay for postage both ways of the drive.

Also FYI: If you are after remotes, IR Blasters and such I hold local stock for George at his list prices. The only things I don't stock are complete TiVo's and networking cards. I have everything else.

Cheers

blackers
11-03-2005, 01:28 PM
The best option for wireless is to get a Turbonet or Cachecard from George and connect it to a wireless ethernet bridge (also known as a wireless game adapter).

I got the Netgear WGE111 for $120 from my local PC shop, Linksys and D-Link also have models. It basically makes your Tivo (or anything with an ethernet port - PS2, Xbox) think that it is connected directly to your router.

The great advantage of doing it this way is that the Tivo needs no configuration. The bridge only needs configuration if you have wireless security activated on your router and (unlike the Tivo) the bridge comes with good config instructions and telephone support. It also gives you 802.11g speeds (as long as your router supports them) which is handy when transferring recordings to your PC.

tcn33
11-03-2005, 05:16 PM
Excellent, thanks for the help! :)

tcn33
15-03-2005, 02:16 PM
[W]hen you first load on the OzTiVo image to your hard disk and turn on the TiVo it will run "Guided Setup" mode. For this you need some form of network connection otherwise you won't get far.

So my TiVo arrived today :D :D :D, but I don't have a Turbonet card yet. Because I can't wait to play with my new toy, I'm going to image the disk and set it up tonight to use as a dumb recorder and to pause TV etc.

If I do the Guided Setup as though I have the Turbonet card, will it cause problems when the TiVo realizes it's not there? In fact, am I even going to get through Guided Setup, or am I going to have to wait until I actually have the card?

tcn33
15-03-2005, 06:13 PM
Nevermind, I answered my own question. Without the Turbonet card, Guided Setup hangs at the first call. Short of running 20m of phone cable, there's no other way for me to do it. :(

So close and yet...

btw, thanks to the authors of the current image, which was surprisingly easy to use. I've never taken a hard drive out of anything, and the whole process took me all of 15 minutes - 12 of which was spent getting the case off the TiVo :o

Darren King
16-03-2005, 09:15 AM
Of course if you REALLY want the horrors you can use the old pre-GS image like us "old timers" used and a couple of hours of hacking/patching. ......

But I jest. Wait for the card. Or it is going to be a while off send me the drive express post (pay for both ways) and I'll config it for you.