PDA

View Full Version : Tivo Modem

timmy
12-04-2004, 01:23 PM
Edmund can probably answer this one.. Had a request for how to use the built in modem.

can u provide details on how to do this so people using serial cables have an alternative to manually loading slices or setting up PPP. cheers..

ehintz
12-04-2004, 01:37 PM
Some of it anyway.

Follow this how-to:

http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Howtonetwork/NetworkingWithBuiltinModem

For the ppp-options file, ignore what the above URL says and create one that reads thus:

/dev/cua1
crtscts
debug
kdebug 1
asyncmap 0
netmask 255.255.255.0
defaultroute
nodetach
nodeflate

This will give you functional dialup which works with an emulator. Dunno for sure how it would work with loadguide (which is one of the reasons I setup the emulator). The main question being how does one tell the thing when to dial, and to run loadguide. A more desktopy linux guy may be able to fill in the blanks for getting ppp going via an addition to the loadguide script or something(I'm OSX on the desktop, use linux in the server rooms which seldom use dialup).

Dialup ISPs known to work with this are paradise and ihug.

Grant
13-04-2004, 07:13 AM
Okay, mostly so far so good,

I've got all that done okay, but tivo now fails to find a dial out number (??) during setup

I've checked the edits as suggested by Edmund and all are correct.

Any ideas ?

Where does the system specify to use dial config 127 ?

Also any suggestions on how to make joe editor friendlier - it tends to overtype, backup and generally be a little unpredictable - will a faster port speed help?

cheers

Grant

ehintz
13-04-2004, 07:47 AM
You can tell it to use 127 via the remote. Got to TivoCentral:Messages and Setup:SystemInformation. On that screen it will have a line:

Dial-in Configuration Code: wxy TFA=z

On the remote key in "clear clear enter enter 0 1 2 7 enter", that should set the code to 127.

Grant
13-04-2004, 04:47 PM
sorry E, i'm still stuck in Guided Setup so can't get to the other screens, is there a way to hack the appropriate file entry via joe editor?

G.

ehintz
13-04-2004, 07:30 PM
sorry E, i'm still stuck in Guided Setup so can't get to the other screens, is there a way to hack the appropriate file entry via joe editor?

G.

Nope, but you can do it at the shell. From the bash prompt, do this:

[TiVo [p0] ~]# tivosh
% dbsetx /State/PhoneConfig DialConfig 127
/State/PhoneConfig DialConfig val was: 000
/State/PhoneConfig DialConfig set to : 127
% exit
[TiVo [p0] ~]#

Then reboot and you should be golden.

Grant
14-04-2004, 05:34 AM
Thanks and good progress..

got past the no number problem, I also found that I had missed a colon off the end of the setup line, after the password, so that may have been the issue.

Now fails during the dial process, it says 'dialing' and then hangs, I haven't had time to recheck all the basics, ie cables, listening for tones etc, so will do that tonight.

G.

ehintz
14-04-2004, 08:51 AM
Thanks and good progress..

got past the no number problem, I also found that I had missed a colon off the end of the setup line, after the password, so that may have been the issue.

Now fails during the dial process, it says 'dialing' and then hangs, I haven't had time to recheck all the basics, ie cables, listening for tones etc, so will do that tonight.

G.

I had some pain caused by the call waiting stuff, best to leave it out until you know it works. You can set the call waiting bit either by the GUI under call options or in the rc.sysinit.tivohack file (as referenced by the oztivo faq), make sure that it's turned off under both. While troubleshooting setup I just picked up another line and listened in, was able to ID the call waiting by counting the DTMF instances. Also found that paradise was returning a busy signal at the time, guess their user/modem ratio isn't so hot.

Grant
14-04-2004, 07:24 PM
Success!

dial up works, got thru the download and setup stages, just working on getting my VCR ( mistubishi) IR working.

G.