PDA

View Full Version : TiVo utopia ......

laser
18-01-2005, 11:44 AM
You've GOT to be KIDDING !!!!

I've got cable internet and have always wanted to get a TiVo (even though I'm not sure what they can do, but bare with me I only found this site 30 mins ago).

You mean to tell me that I can feed my digital STB directly into the TiVo and record straight away ? (with the digi-STB handling the PAL encryption and - guessing - the RCAs inputting into the TiVo). TiVo would also use my intranet to download program guides whenever it wanted (sounds like every 2 days).

Now, what are the TiVo advantages over an off the shelf (Pansonic maybe) DVD+HDD recorder .... you know the 140hr recorder types that write to DVD. If the TiVo is networked, and my PC (running XP Pro) has a DVD burner is that better ?

Apologies if this info is in the FAQ, I read a few but I find forums are a TONS better medium.

Now the harder questions .... can you transfer TiVo -> TiVo if both are on the internet ? My mate was chatting the other day and BUSTING for his parents (in Brissy) to get a TiVo to record and send him Aussie content. Is this a network link or snail mail ?

TIA ... great to find other Aussies that understand what TiVo actually means (well, I understand a small bit)

DavidSymons
18-01-2005, 01:14 PM
Hi laser,

You mean to tell me that I can feed my digital STB directly into the TiVo and record straight away ? (with the digi-STB handling the PAL encryption and - guessing - the RCAs inputting into the TiVo). TiVo would also use my intranet to download program guides whenever it wanted (sounds like every 2 days).

Yes (Yes and Yes) and Yes.

Now, what are the TiVo advantages over an off the shelf (Pansonic maybe) DVD+HDD recorder .... you know the 140hr recorder types that write to DVD. If the TiVo is networked, and my PC (running XP Pro) has a DVD burner is that better ?

TiVo advantage is that its EPG allows it to automatically record your favourite shows for you.

DVD+HDD recorder advantage is that burning to DVD is more straightforward.

TiVo to DVD is achieved via your PC:

http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Videoextract/DVDArchivingwithWindows

Now the harder questions .... can you transfer TiVo -> TiVo if both are on the internet ? My mate was chatting the other day and BUSTING for his parents (in Brissy) to get a TiVo to record and send him Aussie content. Is this a network link or snail mail ?

TiVo to TiVo via the net is feasible but really impractical as the streams are large (~3GB per hour at "best quality" ).

Cheers, Dave.

laser
18-01-2005, 03:45 PM
So would the only TiVo advantage(s) be EPG & the coolness factor - of course :p

The DVD+HDD is simpler for DVD burning, without any great loss in functionality. And I guess if I crack the seal on the lid and upgrade HDD etc.. the warranty is voided, but may not need that 'cos the DVD burn is easier.

Darren King
18-01-2005, 08:09 PM
So would the only TiVo advantage(s) be EPG & the coolness factor - of course

Not forgetting that you can also access it from anywhere via the web to schedule/cancel recordings or tell your lovely wife how much you love her with personal messages :)

zollymonsta
19-01-2005, 12:41 PM
Don't forget the lovely 'blip-blop' sounds it makes! :D

cjam
26-01-2005, 12:33 PM
Hi Laser,

Those are pretty big advantages.....

IMO, the major drawback of the TiVo, is that it is the ONLY electronic gadget your wife or girlfriend is interested in, and ownership of the peanut controller becomes a major domestic issue.....

Cheers,

Chris

clyne
29-01-2005, 08:07 AM
I would go for the dvd burner...Why.... Foxtel digital already has a EPG, Also the quality of foxtel digital running through the Tivo drops pretty dramatically which kinda defeats the purpose of fox digital really, Annoys me.
The fact that Tivo can learn what you like and record by itself is great but what happens if you want to watch another channel when Tivo is recording something else...You can't.
My impressions of Tivo having owned it for a year is it is pretty average, Old technology...one analog tuner.

zollymonsta
29-01-2005, 08:23 AM
I would go for the dvd burner...Why.... Foxtel digital already has a EPG, Also the quality of foxtel digital running through the Tivo drops pretty dramatically which kinda defeats the purpose of fox digital really, Annoys me.
The fact that Tivo can learn what you like and record by itself is great but what happens if you want to watch another channel when Tivo is recording something else...You can't.
My impressions of Tivo having owned it for a year is it is pretty average, Old technology...one analog tuner.

See my response to this on the other thread you posted to. Rubbish In/Rubbish out. The signal quality will not be ANY better using a dvd recorder, you're still recompressing the already compressed signal.

You cant record a program on a dvd recorder and watch a different channel via it live at the same time (unless it has a dual tuner).

TiVo rocks.

Darren King
30-01-2005, 06:52 AM
Wouldn't waste my breath Zollymonsta. I use one of mine to record from Aurora (kind of like digital FTA but via satellite) and it is perfect. Never heard any complaints from people uting them with normal digital FTA boxes either. Although to give this unhappy TiVo owner his due, he is not the first to complain about Foxtel. Foxtel lower their bitrate to save money on bandwidth so as you say it is garbage in/garbage out.

Sounds to me though with his comments of old technology and "one analogue tuner" this person didn't do his homework on TiVo before he bought it. Not like the specs on a Series 1 and your connection options are not available for your perusal before you make a choice to buy it. He must have thought it good enough to buy one in the first place.

Simple solution to his problems though: If you don't like it; sell it. I get heaps of people ask me all the time where they can buy one in Australia. Put it on Ebay and let me know the listing number so I can direct people, or call me and I'll put you in touch with someone who will buy it. At least with his "beaut" new DVD/HDD recorder he can then complain to the commercial party he bought it off. :D

QED