PDA

View Full Version : Tivo for Dummies

contactsmyth
17-01-2005, 11:13 AM
Ok so im new to this ... and I need to know ...

1. how does this TIVO box physically download the data for the TV guide ... now what does it do ? through a phone connection ? does it dial something ? do I need to set up an internet connection for it ? can it work through a network ?

2. how does it talk to the foxtel digital box ?

how well does this fit in to Aust Standards ? like are people having troubles , is their anyone who can be called to halp with an installation ? any gurus ? anyone who knows how a dummie could do this ? like ... give me some insight

is there anyone out there who is or was in the same position as me ?

Darren King
17-01-2005, 12:15 PM
Welcome to the world of TiVo.

Usually a good read of the basic FAQ areas would help here, but instead I'll try to help a little first...... so here it goes:

how does this TIVO box physically download the data for the TV guide ... now what does it do ? through a phone connection ? does it dial something ? do I need to set up an internet connection for it ? can it work through a network ?
Natively it downloads via an ethernet card called a Turbonet or a Cachecard. For this you will (generally) need a broadband connection. You can also do it via the internal modem or if you are keen via the serial port on the back of the TiVo. By far most people use the ethernet option as it "dials" without the need for a phonecall and is usually automatic without your intervention.

2. how does it talk to the foxtel digital box ?

By something called an "IR Blaster". These are nothing more than an infrared transmitter on a lead. You put this in front of the Foxtel STB IR receiver and the TiVo emulates the channel change commands for your Foxtel box.

how well does this fit in to Aust Standards ? like are people having troubles

By "standards" I assume you mean PAL? If so then a Series 1 TiVo handles PAL recording and playback no problems.

is their anyone who can be called to halp with an installation ?

There is no "help desk". TiVo is NOT a commercial thing in Australia, it is only experimental and always will be. You buy a TiVo then you are responsible for it's care and feeding. 700+ TiVo's are currently running in Australia, however.

You are on the OzTiVo forum so that means you are in the right place to ask questions, but it is assumed you have read some of the how-to documents and tried things yourself first. If not you will be directed there first. 99% of the time a TiVo happily chuggs along with no real issues however.

any gurus ?

I get given the title but I don't deserve it. I'm just the hardware guy that does PAL tuners and tries to help others enjoy TiVo :) A PAL tuner is not required to enjoy TiVo, and quite a lot elect to either use a digital FTA box or their Foxtel box for an input. Having said that I do see anywhere up to five TiVo's a week for PAL tuner modding. An internal PAL tuner will allow you to tune in your local TV stations without the need for an external box, just in case you were wondering. The factory fitted tuner in a USA TiVo will not work here in Australia.

is there anyone out there who is or was in the same position as me ?

If people are in the same position as you then they are suffering in silence. In regards to people who have been in the same position as you then that applies to everyone. OzTiVo is a fully "do it yourself" thing. We all had to learn how to do it, and you will too. That's not being nasty and you can ask for pointers, but we all had to start from square 1 at one point or another.

anyone who knows how a dummie could do this ? like ... give me some insight

Well.... I told you about doing some research, so here's the link to where you can start looking. It's the best place to have most of your "TiVo for dummies" questions answered: http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view

Cheers