PDA

View Full Version : Is AutoDST possible by a mod to 'fixtivotime'?

12-04-2004, 09:10 AM
Hi,

Just a quick thought if we can make tivo auto DST....

The normal fixtivotime uses:

/tvbin/settime `/hack/bin/rtime x.x.x.x 36000`

36000 for +10 GMT or 39600 for +11 GMT, and you modify it accordingly..

Could a if/then statement (or a sub) be added, where you can specify a date range. If the date matches EST, you get a +10, or if the date falls outside that you get a ESDT of +11.

Thanks!

Vertron
13-04-2004, 01:07 PM
Could a if/then statement (or a sub) be added, where you can specify a date range. If the date matches EST, you get a +10, or if the date falls outside that you get a ESDT of +11.

Question: What were to happen if the dates change? or in the event rumoured, that everyone's time thoughout australia is going to come into line with AEST because of the commonwealth games? Will daylight savings be affected? And how does the real TiVo service do it in regards to DST?

15-04-2004, 07:29 AM
Okay done more research... What about in /etc/TIMEZONE ?

example:

A southern hemisphere setting such as the Cook Islands could be

TZ="KDT9:30KST10:00,64/5:00,303/20:00"

This setting means that KDT is the abbreviation for the main time zone,
KST is the abbreviation for the alternate time zone, KDT is 9 hours and
30 minutes later than GMT, KST is 10 hours later than GMT, the starting
date of KST is the 64th day at 5 AM, and the ending date of KST is the
303rd day at 8 PM.

Starting and ending times are relative to the alternate time zone. If
the alternate time zone start and end dates and the time are not
provided, the days for the United States that year will be used and the
time will be 2 AM. If the start and end dates are provided but the time
is not provided, the time will be midnight.

This way you specify the dates and time for start/stop of DST.

Will TIVO work with a TIMEZONE file in /etc ?

zollymonsta
15-04-2004, 11:31 AM
Okay done more research... What about in /etc/TIMEZONE ?

*snip*

Will TIVO work with a TIMEZONE file in /etc ?

Yes.

I'm using the oztivo image.. and modified my postcodezones so it looks at the 00800 postcode and matches it to Auckland, NZ.
Then created the appropriate directory and copied the required timezone file off a linux machine over to the tivo. Works good now and have had no time problems whatsoever for the last 2 or so weeks. So yes, that does work. :)

16-04-2004, 07:16 AM
zollymonsta,

Could you please tell me what files have to be modified and any information you have. I have the Australian dates for start and stop of daylight savings.

Thanks again!

zollymonsta
16-04-2004, 06:30 PM
zollymonsta,

Could you please tell me what files have to be modified and any information you have. I have the Australian dates for start and stop of daylight savings.

Thanks again!

So you're in Australia? I guess you would have to find the appropriate timecode file to use depending on where in Australia you are.

More details on changing the files to fix time is at this url...

http://www.tjv.info/tivo-howto2.aspx

under the heading "Setting the TimeSync Up for New Zealand"
Wether it's appropriate for your timezone in Aussie is a different story. :D Modify it to suit :cool:

Charliektm400exc
16-04-2004, 08:24 PM
Daylight saving adjustment automaticaly is built in to the latest emulator images.

That's one of the reasons why you put in your postcode, so it can work out which state your in.

There is a list of all daylight saving date changes for each state for at least the next 10 years built in. It will only be a problem if there is a date change, but then it's only a re-write of a file.

If you had asked this question on the mailing list you would have got a much quicker answer, and probably more detail on how it's done

Charlie

17-04-2004, 01:42 PM
Charlie,

Thanks I dug up and found info on using rtimetz which does this.

Only prob I have now is it complains of a 0 offset for GMT!

I bet we are missing all the files of the states...

Do you know where they go on TIVO and where I can get them and how to set them?

Thanks!

Charliektm400exc
17-04-2004, 06:21 PM
Charlie,

Thanks!

Sorry, not an expert on this at all. To the best of my knowledge the files cover every state in Australia. Your not refering to any other states are you?

I don't know where they are. Your best bet is to ask Warren on the mailing list (don't forget he's on a TiVo less holiday at the moment, but should be able to answer your question when he comes back) and it's a few more months now till the next change to DS.

Charlie

Vertron
17-04-2004, 11:44 PM

Thanks!

On my Debian Linux machine the timezone info is located under /usr/share/zoneinfo/

I will have to check the TiVo at some stage to see if this information matches up. But I would be guessing that the "files of the states" that you refer to will be under that directory and you can upload any timezone you wish to cater for.