PDA

View Full Version : telnet actively refused

cslack
05-01-2005, 11:30 PM
I recently purchased and set up a tivo series 1 with turbonet card and the latest image networked through an xp system. It all works fines ie downloading program info etc except that I can not get access to the tivo either through telnet or tivoweb. The machine can access the internet so the cable/network etc must be working but when I go to open the address (192.168.0.1) with telnet it states the following;

"Could not open connection to the host on port 23.No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it"

Please help.

DavidSymons
06-01-2005, 06:52 AM
Hi,

Are you using Internet Connection Sharing on the XP box? If so, that might be the address of your XP box itself (I understand that ICS changes it to this even if you have set it to something else).

You can verify this by typing "ipconfig" at the XP command prompt.

You can find out what other addresses are active on your network by typing "ping 192.168.0.255" at the command prompt. Hopefully your TiVo will reply with its address.

HTH.

Cheers, Dave.

curto
07-01-2005, 02:33 PM
I assume you get this message under Windows XP.

Typically this is as a result of XP not being able to contact the actual port on the box (or get a response). I find that this is usually a software based firewall issue - zonealarm, Norton Antivirus 2005 with Worm protection, Mcafee etc etc

Craig

cslack
11-01-2005, 04:26 PM
thanks on both counts you where right both times....