PDA

View Full Version : Playing VCR question

Damian
11-04-2004, 08:53 PM
I have a Tivo HDR212 - all connected and working - PPP to Linux, using a Panasonic VCR to control Tivo, FTA downloads fine, programs record and playback correctly.

Everything is perfect except..... dumb question.....

How can I play a videotape now? When I put in a tape and press play I get:

1. Tivo message - can't play Live TV
2. VCR seems to sit there - tape doesn't move forward but circle spins on bottom right of VCR display (seconds usually displayed there)

Any suggestions?

Damian

hart
11-04-2004, 11:15 PM
This is a problem with the VCR, not the TiVo.

I watched a video through a TiVo only two days ago, and it worked fine - the only strange thing I noticed is that when I paused or fast forwarded on the VCR, the TiVo message came up about not being able to play Live TV - this is due to the way the TiVo detects a "live TV" signal.

Point 2 above leads me to believe that something is wrong with the tape you're trying to play back - try another tape :)

Damian
12-04-2004, 09:44 AM
[QUOTE=hart]This is a problem with the VCR, not the TiVo.

Thanks! You are correct - tape is defective. Dumb of me not to try another tape
Apart from the fast forward message all works fine.

Damian

Vertron
13-04-2004, 12:56 PM
I thought that if you fast foward or rewind in "Long Play" it would break up the picture and give the Tivo "check video" screen. I didn't think it would do it in "Short Play" and if you had "Video Smoothing" on. Is anyone able to claify this?

Damian
13-04-2004, 09:20 PM
I thought that if you fast foward or rewind in "Long Play" it would break up the picture and give the Tivo "check video" screen. I didn't think it would do it in "Short Play" and if you had "Video Smoothing" on. Is anyone able to claify this?

Mine produces 'check video' with both long and short play. Haven't tried smoothing yet. I'm avoiding doing too much tweaking until I have run mine for a while. Too many variables makes for hassles.... I have only had it up since last Friday, but so far so good.

Damian

hart
14-04-2004, 12:04 AM
Silly idea, but you could always plonk the tape in and press play 20 minutes before you actually want to watch the video and then use the TiVo's time shifting to skip forward & back :-)