PDA

View Full Version : FTA Headends for Emulator

jaidev
22-11-2004, 02:38 PM
Ok so I figured out how to get FTA going with the emulator, still got some work to do with guide data and FSID's it seems some of them in the 7999000 range screw wktivoguide slice building.. So FTA FSID's maybe in the 7997000 range..

Anyway there will be different postal codes for each area...
Here are the frequencies I have, correct if wrong..
Please add other areas I don't have..

Auckland Zip Code AK02117
2 TV1
4 TV2
7 TV3
9 C4
41 Triangle
43 Maori
55 Trackside
57 Juice
59 Prime

Christchurch Zip Code AK02118
3 TV1
8 TV2
6 TV3
11 C4
62 Prime
46 Maori
44 CTV

Wellington Zip Code AK02119
1 TV1
5 TV2
11 TV3
2 C4
44 MTV
60 Prime

jaidev
22-11-2004, 03:44 PM
Can someone please post the finetuning parameters for all areas so the channels can be remapped with channelmap.itcl, and then retuned.

EDIT: Found the table :) Thanks to Thomson for posting it..
Go here for info on remapping your channels and using the finetune parameter with palmod. http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?p=1154#post1154

thomson
22-11-2004, 06:13 PM
it seems some of them in the 7999000 range screw wktivoguide slice building.. So FTA FSID's maybe in the 7997000 range.

What is wrong with the ones in the 7998xxx range? Most of the FTA stations have assignments in this range. If you are looking at rejigging the slices then you may also like to consider a scheme such as this (http://www.forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?p=2378#post2378). I am using this to create a fortnights worth of predicted guide data which is updated as the real slices are released.

jaidev
22-11-2004, 07:22 PM
What is wrong with the ones in the 7998xxx range? Most of the FTA stations have assignments in this range.

Nothing wrong with 7998xxx which is the range thats assigned to our Satellite (Cable) lineup. I don't want to use the same FSID's for the FTA lineup as the Satellite lineup. Some people may want both headends on one tivo..
No sure about clashing FSID's..

thomson
23-11-2004, 05:40 AM
Nothing wrong with 7998xxx which is the range thats assigned to our Satellite (Cable) lineup. I don't want to use the same FSID's for the FTA lineup as the Satellite lineup. Some people may want both headends on one tivo.

You are quite correct... buy using different FSID's the users with both Cable and RF-Tuners will be able to decide which one to use to record the FTA stations. This could be of use to people who, for example, get better TV2 reception via the Tuner than the Cable... and could be of even more use to those that wish to have ClosedCaptions on their recordings as when I last looked Sky did not support these.

jaidev
23-11-2004, 01:58 PM
Sorry FTA headends are still under construction, just overhualing the way I create headends, rather do it correctly than be a quick fix...

In the mean time I need you guys to help with the FTA channel frequencies in each area..
As above I currently have Auckland, Christchurch and Wellington..
please post others here..

slangnz
08-12-2004, 09:54 AM
Sorry FTA headends are still under construction, just overhualing the way I create headends, rather do it correctly than be a quick fix...

In the mean time I need you guys to help with the FTA channel frequencies in each area..

I'm looking into using Tivo for FTA with a philips VCR as a tuner.
I'll check my tuner frequencies tonight to see what it has picked up.

Is there anything else that I can do to help with the FTA headends?

I'm still learning all about tivo, so forgive me if I ask something stupid...

Cheers -

jaidev
15-12-2004, 07:30 AM
Sorry I have not progressed much with this, I am getting married in the new year so have had little time.
But during my christmas/new year break I will find some time to finish it.

zollymonsta
15-12-2004, 08:20 AM
Sorry I have not progressed much with this, I am getting married in the new year so have had little time.

Oooo do we all get invites to your wedding? :D

slangnz
15-12-2004, 07:56 PM

No Probs jaidev. Got married 3 years ago, now have 5 month old (future geek). Time that I can commit to this is also limited, but I'm building a couple (SKY Digital with Zenith STB) for my big boss.... Oh dear...

Anyway, current problem is that when I run the zenith.tcl (downloaded from http://nztivo.kiwiwebhost.net.nz/uploads/zenithSky.tcl, as that was the only place I could find it...) I get....

can't open object (errDbNotFound)

Most annoying, I think I've done everything OK up until now....

Cheers -

thomson
16-12-2004, 05:59 AM
Anyway, current problem is that when I run the zenith.tcl I get.... can't open object (errDbNotFound)

That zenithSky.tcl looks fine... it is missing a call to the function but that all depends on how you wish to call it. It could be that you are not using binary mode to transfer the file to the TiVo?

If you transfer the zenithSky.tcl, found in the attached archive, to the TiVo and perform the following then it should work...

dos2unix zenithSky.tcl
chmod 755 zenithSky.tcl
./zenithSky.tcl

slangnz
16-12-2004, 06:33 AM
That zenithSky.tcl looks fine... it is missing a call to the function but that all depends on how you wish to call it. It could be that you are not using binary mode to transfer the file to the TiVo?

If you transfer the zenithSky.tcl, found in the attached archive, to the TiVo and perform the following then it should work...

dos2unix zenithSky.tcl
chmod 755 zenithSky.tcl
./zenithSky.tcl

Hiya thomson, thanx for the reply. Yeah, the first time I tried it bombed completely - bother those windows text files... I fixed that a while ago.

I still get the error with a valid unix formatted file. It's complaining about the db object not being there or something. This is after it prints the message

"Setting Zenith Sky Decoder codes for TiVo 30001..."

so the script is executing up to that point.... I must have left something out, or gotten something wrong, but damned if I can find out - I've been taking detailed notes as I go.

Cheers -

thomson
16-12-2004, 10:52 AM
I still get the error with a valid unix formatted file. It's complaining about the db object not being there or something.

It looks like you are missing the record in the database? This is unusual as it appears in the standard OzTiVo image. You can check this by using the "MFS" module under TivoWeb. If you browse through the database and check that you have a record for "/Component/Ir/TivoFormat/30001". If you are missing this then you can alter the script to create it, or simple change the 30001 for one of the records that do exist. It is sometimes easier to go through the GuidedSetup and select a STB and write down one of the numbers displayed in the list and use this instead.

slangnz
16-12-2004, 01:01 PM
It looks like you are missing the record in the database? This is unusual as it appears in the standard OzTiVo image. You can check this by using the "MFS" module under TivoWeb. If you browse through the database and check that you have a record for "/Component/Ir/TivoFormat/30001". If you are missing this then you can alter the script to create it, or simple change the 30001 for one of the records that do exist. It is sometimes easier to go through the GuidedSetup and select a STB and write down one of the numbers displayed in the list and use this instead.

Yeah, I had thought that as well. I had actually gotten this far (after being confused...) Eventually found the directory via. TivoWeb. Indeed, 30001 wasn't there.

I had thought that I had tried another value that does exist (e.g. 1022) but that didn't work. However, you've given me the confidence to try again. This time, changing the script (zenithsky) to use 20001 and it works!

WOW. A lot of time, and almost getting there.

I'm building 3 of these, so I'll check the other hard disk images that I made, and see if the 30001 value exists in them.

Thanx for your time, I feel that I am actually making progress now.... I want to get the Sky Digital sorted (shouldn't be too hard...), then I'll move onto the philips VCR with FTA....

slangnz
17-12-2004, 08:07 PM
Yeah, I had thought that as well. I had actually gotten this far (after being confused...) Eventually found the directory via. TivoWeb. Indeed, 30001 wasn't there.

I had thought that I had tried another value that does exist (e.g. 1022) but that didn't work. However, you've given me the confidence to try again. This time, changing the script (zenithsky) to use 20001 and it works!

WOW. A lot of time, and almost getting there.

I'm building 3 of these, so I'll check the other hard disk images that I made, and see if the 30001 value exists in them.

Thanx for your time, I feel that I am actually making progress now.... I want to get the Sky Digital sorted (shouldn't be too hard...), then I'll move onto the philips VCR with FTA....

Well, I was making progress....

After editing zenithsky.tcl to use 20001 instead of 30001, and following the rest of the GS instructions (http://www.nztivo.net/index.php/STB_IRcodes) it accepted the codes, but still doesn't change the channel on the Zenith STB.

Most strange, time to re-run Guided Setup I feel...

slangnz
17-12-2004, 10:18 PM
Well, I was making progress....

After editing zenithsky.tcl to use 20001 instead of 30001, and following the rest of the GS instructions (http://www.nztivo.net/index.php/STB_IRcodes) it accepted the codes, but still doesn't change the channel on the Zenith STB.

Most strange, time to re-run Guided Setup I feel...

I think that I may have found something that hopefully someone can comment on.

When I install from a fresh image (leave tclient.conf as standard with AUS values) and run through GS, then I get the IR values over 30000 in the DB.

When I edit tclient.conf and make sure that only the nz emulator entry is there (remove/comment everything else (except the first 000 entry)), run through GS, then I don't get any IR values over 20001 in the DB.

This seems a little strange to me...

ehintz
20-12-2004, 01:26 PM
I think that I may have found something that hopefully someone can comment on.

When I install from a fresh image (leave tclient.conf as standard with AUS values) and run through GS, then I get the IR values over 30000 in the DB.

When I edit tclient.conf and make sure that only the nz emulator entry is there (remove/comment everything else (except the first 000 entry)), run through GS, then I don't get any IR values over 20001 in the DB.

This seems a little strange to me...
Hmmm... I wonder if they have an additional IR slice available for download. Anybody got a regular contact over there? If there is a supplementary IR slice, I can add it to our emulator.

slangnz
21-12-2004, 07:24 AM
Hmmm... I wonder if they have an additional IR slice available for download. Anybody got a regular contact over there? If there is a supplementary IR slice, I can add it to our emulator.

A big thanx to Jaidev, ed, thomson and crew.

I've got tivo working now and changing channel on my philips VCR (found a philips IR code on oztivo website.) The channels don't match up past TV3, but at least it's working, and when the FTA slices/headend/whatever arrives, it should be sweet. I will reconfigure for the Zenith SKY STB and test tonight (hopefully).

There seemed to be several problems that I encountered that the existing instructions didn't really help me with.
1) As above, when I used the NZ emulator, I didn't have the IR codes for 30001 which is referred to in the docs. It maybe something that I did, and I can verify this again soon when I get a chance to rebuild my next Tivo.
2) The instructions for setting up the Zenith codes weren't quite right. I ended up selecting the PACE decoder in initial GS (supported by default in the OzTivo image), noted that the code it used was 20001. Then, modify the zenithsky.tcl file and change 30001 to be 20001. Then, substitute 20001 for 10022 in the command "dbset 2274/12 CableBoxCodeNum 10022"

Looking back, this is all relatively obvious, but due to my ignorance/lack of understanding, it took a while for me to connect the relevant bits to make a complete picture of what's where and get it to work...

Anyway, I'm in the process of documenting what I've done, and if the Zenith config testing works OK, I can make the docs available if anyone thinks it would be useful.

Cheers -

stuge
01-04-2005, 06:22 PM

How is the FTA headend development progressing Jaidev? It would be nice to reimage my tired, overhacked Tivo with the new Oztivo BETA image. And it would be a perfect opportunity to use the emulator.

I may even be able to achieve an uptime that exceeds 36hrs!

Cheers
stuge

watling
10-10-2005, 11:45 AM
Ok so I figured out how to get FTA going with the emulator, still got some work to do with guide data and FSID's it seems some of Auckland Zip Code AK02117
Christchurch Zip Code AK02118
Wellington Zip Code AK02119

Can I just set this code in to get it to pull an appropriate headend file?
do I a dbset xxx/xxx TmsHeadendID AK02118 ( Where xxx is taken from a dmp )
or is that no going to help. I think I had a go using that at the initial GS stage ( I've had so many go's I can't remember what I haven't tried now )

DJC
13-02-2006, 03:57 PM
I am looking for NZ based FTA headend emulator testers for the new emulator configuraion.

I am running sucessfully with a dual source FTA headend and Sky TV; but would like to test other configurations and locations.

It requires a clear and delete everything and a GS against the new system.

PM me if interested in helping.

/DJC

Headends for Dunedin, Christchurch, Wellington and Auckland.

rapier
14-02-2006, 10:39 AM
I am looking at running my tivo with a vcr for the tuner component, as I have ditched sky as it costs too much.

Is this easy to get going with the channels or is a whole lot of hacking required? :(

DJC
14-02-2006, 10:50 AM
Should work OK with the new emulator setup.

Check the oz IR database to see if your VCR is supported, their slice is on our emulators.

If not you'll need capture the IR codes to control the VCR chaing of channels.