PDA

View Full Version : TIVO noob help needed

megaman2k
20-10-2004, 03:08 PM
hey ive read through some of the faq pages on the website and im still unsure of some stuff

The main conclusion ive formed is that i want tivo but ive checked the uk ebay site and there pricey as hell, so it looks like ebay.com is the way to go but i read about problems with the aerial and other stuff but that the guys here could fix it, could some one provide me more info with what id have to do to get a us set working, i take it id have to post it of to melbourne

Also once ive got all the hardware and stuff right how much will the system cost to run, uno the service costs of having tive, is it monthly or something ?

Thanks guys

zollymonsta
20-10-2004, 06:54 PM
Hi megaman2k..

Take a look at www.eksys.com or check out poweron.com. Probably a lot more affordable than getting one from the UK and a lot more trustworthy than bidding on one from ebay.

The UK models can (I believe) work with the internal tuner, with a bit of tweaking (someone correct me if I'm wrong) but the USA model requires a tuner mod, if you wish to use the tuner.

You don't need a mod to the tuner done though if you're going to use a set top box (Foxtel, Austar or whatever) as you just plug the set top box into the Video/Audio jacks on the back of the TiVo.. No tuner mod required.

The system won't cost anything to run. Apart from power of course and your internet connection to make the daily call. It's run by hobbyists over here and as such it must be noted that if you break your TiVo, you own all the pieces (as mentioned in lots of different twiki's) :o) Of course the mailing list and forums are always a good place to ask for help, just don't expect the earth. Guide data is also not guaranteed.

Saying that, once you get your TiVo you'll love it. I have two!

ZollyMonsta

hey ive read through some of the faq pages on the website and im still unsure of some stuff

The main conclusion ive formed is that i want tivo but ive checked the uk ebay site and there pricey as hell, so it looks like ebay.com is the way to go but i read about problems with the aerial and other stuff but that the guys here could fix it, could some one provide me more info with what id have to do to get a us set working, i take it id have to post it of to melbourne

Also once ive got all the hardware and stuff right how much will the system cost to run, uno the service costs of having tive, is it monthly or something ?

Thanks guys

megaman2k
20-10-2004, 09:01 PM
im dissapointed, just learned it only recieves the aussie free to air channel which indicates to me besides being able to skip adds and record multible channels etc etc its fairly cheaper and easier just to get a digital tv tuner for my pc.

oh well. its still a rather novel idea and in the land of many channels (hundreds) im sure itd hell be worth getting, digital tv isnt even properly established here, windows media centre cant be released due to the randomness in the stations broadcasting for hd..... ah australia i love the

zollymonsta
21-10-2004, 09:38 AM
Hang on, hang on...

Exactly what configuration were you intending to use?

Do you have Foxtel/Austar or similar?

The TiVo is far better than any PC card you could buy on the market.