PDA

View Full Version : Tivo Setup Call Connecting problem

Phil_C
02-10-2004, 06:35 PM
Hello All
I have setup the image to the Tivo but I cannot get past the Setup Call. Originally I used a custom cable to connect via an XP networked computer. This setup did not work so I purchased the TurboNet card. Now when I get to the Setup Call I get a (Failed. Service not answering.) message if I use the ,#211 dialing prefix. If I use the ,#401 prefix I get a (Failed. Service unavailable.) message.

Using Putty I can connect to the Tivo and change settings etc.
I have used the following settings in the Tivo Setup;
Program Source Cable
Zip code 02000
Time Zone Eastern
No daylight saving
Area code 002
Phone dialing options
Dial prefix ,#401 or ,#211
Set Call waiting prefix *44
Set Tone/Pules Tone

I have setup internet connection sharing on my XP box and I have tested it using another box with XP installed and connected to the internet.
Does anyone know what I have done wrong?

Regards

Phil

tenty
05-10-2004, 07:30 PM
Hello All
I have setup the image to the Tivo but I cannot get past the Setup Call. Originally I used a custom cable to connect via an XP networked computer.
Did you get the cable to work at all using HyperTerminal?

This setup did not work so I purchased the TurboNet card. Now when I get to the Setup Call I get a (Failed. Service not answering.) message if I use the ,#211 dialing prefix. If I use the ,#401 prefix I get a (Failed. Service unavailable.) message.
,#211 is supposed to be for dialup via serial cable
,#401 is supposed to be for "dialup" via ethernet

Using Putty I can connect to the Tivo and change settings etc.
I have used the following settings in the Tivo Setup;
Program Source Cable
Zip code 02000
Time Zone Eastern
No daylight saving
Area code 002
Phone dialing options
Dial prefix ,#401 or ,#211
Set Call waiting prefix *44
Set Tone/Pules Tone

The only thing I can think of is the call waiting prefix. Not that it's needed. If you can putty to the TiVo, I dare say the network connection is fine.

I have setup internet connection sharing on my XP box and I have tested it using another box with XP installed and connected to the internet.
Does anyone know what I have done wrong?

Regards

Phil
Try and get the TiVo to ping an outside ip address (keeping in mind that the TiVo cannot resolve a domain name. IE you cannot ping www.oztivo.net, but you can ping it's ip address.)

Hope this is one step closer to solving your problem.

Cheers

Phil_C
05-10-2004, 08:35 PM
Hello Tenty
Is ,401# the correct prefix to use for the TurboNet card?

I removed the Call Waiting Prefix and the error changed to (Failed. Couldn't connect.)

I used the ip address on the Networking HowTo page to download several pages and they all worked fine. I also tried downloading the homepage of the local ISP and it worked fine also.

Regards

Phil